Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 03, 2015, 08:38:07 PM
Don't think there is anything wrong with a bit of good humour to pervade the dour, win-at-all-costs attitude that hovers over football most of the time.

My own thoughts on yesterday would be

I'm more nervous of the Dubs than ever. The form of Paul Flynn is very worrying - as a number of posters have said he is the engine of our team, but if anyone thinks he is anywhere near 2014 or 2013 form, they are deluding themselves.

I love fenton as a player, great footpasser, but we can only afford him if MDMA is firing on all cylinders. I'd fear for our midfield against any of the teams left. I've always wanted Cian O'Sullivan as centre back, think it is his best position, but there is also something to be said for having a completely solid grafter in beside MDMA, letting him rampage forward. John Small might be have to be thrown in.

Some of our passing, by foot and hand, was terrible - not a great position to be in, especially given the fact that for 55 mins of that game we were under no pressure.

Peaking for a semi? Dangerous game to play.

As for Quigley, maybe there was an issue with how other posters phrased it, but I think it is fair enough to say that I'd love to see what kind of performance he'd put in if he was a stone or so lighter. Whatever you may think of the philosophy of there being elite athletes in the GAA, the fact is, at this level, he is up against them. You can mythologise about his shoulders like the M1 (!! Jesus, he put both hands on a keeper and pushed him over the line when he was coming down from a catch, hardly the Rock against Limerick 2001!!) all you like, the fact remains the Dublin team were markedly bigger and faster than Fermanagh. And his best scores came after the game was dead.

He has a choice to make, expand his undoubted talents to the very limit, and maybe drag the entire team with him - or head out for a 2am pizza. It was great to see Fermanagh leave with heads held high - but the team of 2004 did more than that, and Armagh were as unbackable in that game as Dublin were yesterday. Counties like Fermanagh will never have sustained success a la Kerry or Dublin, which makes it all the more important when they have players like Quigley, Corrigan etc to make the very best of them.

I know a 15 min. 5K runner who eats pizza at 2am. Never did him any harm :-\

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2015, 09:01:24 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 03, 2015, 08:38:07 PM
Don't think there is anything wrong with a bit of good humour to pervade the dour, win-at-all-costs attitude that hovers over football most of the time.

My own thoughts on yesterday would be

I'm more nervous of the Dubs than ever. The form of Paul Flynn is very worrying - as a number of posters have said he is the engine of our team, but if anyone thinks he is anywhere near 2014 or 2013 form, they are deluding themselves.

I love fenton as a player, great footpasser, but we can only afford him if MDMA is firing on all cylinders. I'd fear for our midfield against any of the teams left. I've always wanted Cian O'Sullivan as centre back, think it is his best position, but there is also something to be said for having a completely solid grafter in beside MDMA, letting him rampage forward. John Small might be have to be thrown in.

Some of our passing, by foot and hand, was terrible - not a great position to be in, especially given the fact that for 55 mins of that game we were under no pressure.

Peaking for a semi? Dangerous game to play.

As for Quigley, maybe there was an issue with how other posters phrased it, but I think it is fair enough to say that I'd love to see what kind of performance he'd put in if he was a stone or so lighter. Whatever you may think of the philosophy of there being elite athletes in the GAA, the fact is, at this level, he is up against them. You can mythologise about his shoulders like the M1 (!! Jesus, he put both hands on a keeper and pushed him over the line when he was coming down from a catch, hardly the Rock against Limerick 2001!!) all you like, the fact remains the Dublin team were markedly bigger and faster than Fermanagh. And his best scores came after the game was dead.

He has a choice to make, expand his undoubted talents to the very limit, and maybe drag the entire team with him - or head out for a 2am pizza. It was great to see Fermanagh leave with heads held high - but the team of 2004 did more than that, and Armagh were as unbackable in that game as Dublin were yesterday. Counties like Fermanagh will never have sustained success a la Kerry or Dublin, which makes it all the more important when they have players like Quigley, Corrigan etc to make the very best of them.

I know a 15 min. 5K runner who eats pizza at 2am. Never did him any harm :-\

Is there any end to Ciaran Mac's talents?

Teo Lurley

Lads come on, let's have a bit of cop on here. The Dubs are a multi million euro prepared team backed by multi Nationals and all sorts of big business. There's no way they can lose the All Ireland after last year. They are just strolling round at the moment trying to keep the hype under wrap. They even have the ref out giving decisions against them to keep the score down. Watch what sort of decisions they get for them the next day.
I've listed what the Dubs have going for them as an advantage over every other team earlier in this thread. It would take some doing for them to blow this All Ireland. They managed to do it last year, AIG don't like to add their name to a team of chokers. Look at the decisions New Zealand got in the last rugby world cup final. So as I said lads, a bit of cop on. This is Dublins All Ireland.

Dinny Breen

B Brogan this Championship

Goal attempts   5-00 from 6 shots
Point attempts  0-16 from 24 shots

Combined Conversion Rate of 70%

Fecker must have known Dinny Breen was questioning his clinicalness...
#newbridgeornowhere

easytiger95

Moysider, compared to most of the players in opposition to him, and most of the players on his own side, he is carrying serious weight. Now if he struggled with it, I'd have a fair bit of sympathy with him. But he seems to be ok with it, which, on one hand, speaks to a well adjusted personality, but on the other hand, if I was playing/coaching him I'd be tearing my hair out. Imagine having those natural gifts and not doing your absolute best to maximise them?

Well, we all know the "genius" player down at the club who could have been a contender - and a heartlifting and fairly funny cameo towards the end of a dead game, should only be the start to the career that he should have at club and county. I'm thinking of exceptionally talented guys like Ciaran McDonald, who were able to both express their personality and their talent. McDonald never won a senior AI - but for a period between 2004-2006 he was one of the top forwards in the country, a player that teams had to change their plans for. Quigley could do the same - immortality for him will be winning an Ulster title - but with the kind of wolves running in Ulster, will he?

There is nothing to say he will lose his personality with the pounds. Johnny Pilkington always said that all of the reports of his carousing and smoking were hugely exaggerated and underneath he was a serious athlete. But he was seriously loved as well, by any fans of offaly hurling during their golden years, and ended up with two AI medals.

rrhf

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
Lads Dublin were going at approx 60% yesterday. The only worry I'd have about them is can they press the accelerator up to 100% when they need to, and maintain at that level for a 70 minute game against a real contender. They knew that had that game won after 15 minutes, similar to their other games this year. I wouldn't be basing my opinion of how they'll do against Mayo/Donegal on that basis. As I said, there may be lingering doubts about them being able to hit their straps when they need to from the start, but I wouldn't worry on the basis that Fermanagh hung around.

On that note, and I don't want to be hard on Fermanagh who tried really hard, but was anyone else slightly disconcerted to see the smiles and laughs from them after the game? I know they were huge outsiders and probably relieved they didn't get a beating like Kerry gave Kildare, but that was an All Ireland Quarter Final, and the losing team were beaten by 8 points, and would have been much more but for a couple of lucky goals, by a team operating at probably 60% intensity.

I understand the pride that they kept trying, but if you are essentially not within an asses roar of really competing with the team that just beat you in an All Ireland Quarter Final, should you be laughing and smiling?

I'm not trying to be hard on them, and I'm not suggesting my own county would have done in anyway any better, but I thought this Fermanagh team had a bit more oomph in them than that. I thought it was a bit worrying from a competition standpoint. Would Fermanagh be that blasé about losing by 8 points to Donegal?

And I think some of the media comment is patronising at best.
Disappointing but understandable perspective.  Perhaps because we are the gaa and we support our clubs and our counties when realistically they don't have a hope most years, we can take great joy from the crazy effort and enthusiasm and just once in a blue moon success can be deemed as being the best you can be which may not involve a trophy win but taking on a mighty challenge and never once bending the knee....If we want Fermanagh to get closer let's give them some resources to lessen the lack of population argument.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 03, 2015, 12:03:42 AM
Quote from: Sidney on August 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
25-3 in fermanagh's favour the free count today.

That referee should never be allowed referee at this level again.

Out of his depth
I really loved the twee patronising of Fermanagh today.

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I agree with you about Jim Gavin. A more patronising & smug git I have never seen.

Yeah, I can't stand him to be honest, smarmy git.

I was amongst the Fermanagh crowd in the Upper Cusack yesterday. The marked contrast to them and Mayo supporters let's say (who'd be streaming out with 15 mins to go) was stark. Cheering and clapping away to their hearts content. I know they don't get big days out too often, but it's a bad mentality to have in my opinion. However, they can rightly hold their heads high and I reckon if they keep Pete McGrath they will cause a lot fo Div 2 teams problems next Spring.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

trileacman

I used to be a fan of Gavin but have went off him too. He did an interview with RTE after the Fermanagh game and was in the most pissy humour. I mean you'd won a handy QF over much lesser opponents as you were predict by the media to do, you'd wonder what the fcuk he was up on his high horse about.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

DuffleKing

Lads Dublin were going at approx 60% yesterday. The only worry I'd have about them is can they press the accelerator up to 100% when they need to, and maintain at that level for a 70 minute game against a real contender. They knew that had that game won after 15 minutes, similar to their other games this year. I wouldn't be basing my opinion of how they'll do against Mayo/Donegal on that basis. As I said, there may be lingering doubts about them being able to hit their straps when they need to from the start, but I wouldn't worry on the basis that Fermanagh hung around.

On that note, and I don't want to be hard on Fermanagh who tried really hard, but was anyone else slightly disconcerted to see the smiles and laughs from them after the game? I know they were huge outsiders and probably relieved they didn't get a beating like Kerry gave Kildare, but that was an All Ireland Quarter Final, and the losing team were beaten by 8 points, and would have been much more but for a couple of lucky goals, by a team operating at probably 60% intensity.

I understand the pride that they kept trying, but if you are essentially not within an asses roar of really competing with the team that just beat you in an All Ireland Quarter Final, should you be laughing and smiling?

I'm not trying to be hard on them, and I'm not suggesting my own county would have done in anyway any better, but I thought this Fermanagh team had a bit more oomph in them than that. I thought it was a bit worrying from a competition standpoint. Would Fermanagh be that blasé about losing by 8 points to Donegal?

Couldn't agree any more AZ

trileacman

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 10:46:00 PM

I couldn't disagree more. If it's their attitude you're casting aspersions on then show me a team this year who've achieved more from so relatively little?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

yellowcard

Couldn't disagree more. It's not true to say Dublin were operating at 60%. Sixty per cent is just over half pace which greatly exaggerates Dublins ability should they simply DECIDE to turn it up a level. The last few games have exposed some deficiencies in the Dublin side, most notably at full back and midfield. Dublins midfield is probably the poorest of the main 4 contenders left in the competition.

Fermanagh have scant playing resources compared to almost every other county in Ireland and had been playing a lot of energy sapping games recently. I agree that the scoreline possibly flattered them but there is a natural progression that a team has to go through before they can hit peak levels. They will have something tangible to build on for next season but if you think Fermanagh should be competing for AI titles then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

DuffleKing

Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:51:55 PM

I couldn't disagree more. If it's their attitude you're casting aspersions on then show me a team this year who've achieved more from so relatively little?

I must have missed what fermanagh achieved.

I thought they had beaten antrim at home twice twice, robbed a depleted Roscommon team in the last few minutes,  beat a westmeath team coming off a tanking and shorn of their two best players and avoided a 20 point tanking in the 1/4 final because of a combination of luck,  atrocious refereeing & a sedate opponent.

Enlighten me

Darby

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 03, 2015, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 03, 2015, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 03, 2015, 12:49:05 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 03, 2015, 10:36:34 AM

There is talk over the Dubs forum that some think that this team is actually in decline and that if we don't win it this year it could be a long time before we do, as in decline not age but tactically and managerially etc. Some players too. Not sure Dublin can get past Donegal/Mayo, would actually prefer to play Donegal.
Last year Dublin were going to win five in a row.

Now they're not going to win it at all for five decades in a row.

Yeah that came from the pundits and outside Dublin media. We are more realistic up in Dublin and people who know Dublin GAA are more cautious with that sort of speak, to me and to a lot of others its between Kerry and Mayo. I think Mayo will get to the final.

+1

If not Dublin Ill be routing for the Mayo bucks

Aristocrat is spot on most grounded Dublin Gaa fans feet are firmly on the ground and know are our team aren't all that they are talked up to be by country media/folk
A lot of it is from Leinster teams - Laois, Offaly, Meath, Kildare - who cannot accept that they're actually doing a lot wrong now and have fallen way back. Yesterday might have been an eye-opener. It was easier to pretend that a very good Dublin team were unbeatable.

dferg

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 11:52:09 PM

I thought they had beaten antrim at home twice twice, robbed a depleted Roscommon team in the last few minutes,  beat a westmeath team coming off a tanking and shorn of their two best players and avoided a 20 point tanking in the 1/4 final because of a combination of luck,  atrocious refereeing & a sedate opponent.

Enlighten me

They have a population of 60000, half of which have no interest in GAA.  They got promoted to division 2 and got to the All Ireland quarter final.  If your best is to score 2-15 against a team bigger, fitter, faster, stronger then that should be celebrated.

Emmett

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 11:52:09 PM

Enlighten me

Bored tonight or just simply in a bad mood?

We lost to Dublin but we lost putting up a fight which is a lot more than can be said for the majority of Dublin's conquests. We realise exactly where we are at in Fermanagh. We know our current limitations. This does not mean we do not want to challenge for honours but we know it will be difficult given how the larger counties are financed. This will not stop us trying and will not make us roll over to the likes of Dublin.

To say our opponents were operating at 60% is an insult to Fermanagh and also is simply not true. Dublin were not allowed to play their all concurring style of football they get away with in Leinster and they rarely do against Ulster opposition. Their players were somewhat rattled towards the end (despite the scoreline) and so too were a lot of their fans.

This Fermanagh team have ability and a superb attitude. They are very young and the majority of the panel were having their first Championship year. To say that they have not achieved anything in gaining promotion to Division 2 and winning 4 championship matches is absolute madness. Against Westmeath we lost 2 key players to black cards early on and lost our captain to injury - this should have stretched our panel more than our opponents 2 injurys but it didn't. The defeats to both Dublin and Monaghan will have taught the team an awful lot.

Anyway, whether or not you agree is not important. What is important is that we build on this year and raise our expectations further again. An Ulster title is a distinct possibility for this group of players should they actually believe it!