Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on August 03, 2015, 01:29:03 PM
Five of the remaining 6 teams would have bate the dubs yesterday.

Tyrone wouldn't have!!!

rrhf

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 03, 2015, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 03, 2015, 12:49:05 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 03, 2015, 10:36:34 AM

There is talk over the Dubs forum that some think that this team is actually in decline and that if we don't win it this year it could be a long time before we do, as in decline not age but tactically and managerially etc. Some players too. Not sure Dublin can get past Donegal/Mayo, would actually prefer to play Donegal.
Last year Dublin were going to win five in a row.

Now they're not going to win it at all for five decades in a row.

Yeah that came from the pundits and outside Dublin media. We are more realistic up in Dublin and people who know Dublin GAA are more cautious with that sort of speak, to me and to a lot of others its between Kerry and Mayo. I think Mayo will get to the final.

+1

If not Dublin Ill be routing for the Mayo bucks

Aristocrat is spot on most grounded Dublin Gaa fans feet are firmly on the ground and know are our team aren't all that they are talked up to be by country media/folk

Cant wait to cast an eye on the shite Darragh OSe pens this week in the times  ::)

Syferus

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 03, 2015, 04:08:15 PM

There is talk over the Dubs forum that some think that this team is actually in decline and that if we don't win it this year it could be a long time before we do, as in decline not age but tactically and managerially etc. Some players too. Not sure Dublin can get past Donegal/Mayo, would actually prefer to play Donegal.

Yeah that came from the pundits and outside Dublin media. We are more realistic up in Dublin and people who know Dublin GAA are more cautious with that sort of speak, to me and to a lot of others its between Kerry and Mayo. I think Mayo will get to the final.

+1

Aristocrat is spot on most grounded Dublin Gaa fans feet are firmly on the ground and know are our team aren't all that they are talked up to be by country media/folk

Cant wait to cast an eye on the shite Darragh OSe pens this week in the times  ::)

Even a Dublin supporter with their feet on the ground can see they've the best panel panel in the country by a good margin. And anyone that thinks they're not at the top of the AI conversation (much less not in it) is doing their best stereotypical Kerryman impression.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2015, 04:41:01 PM

+1

Even a Dublin supporter with their feet on the ground can see they've the best panel panel in the country by a good margin. And anyone that thinks they're not at the top of the AI conversation (much less not in it) is doing their best stereotypical Kerryman impression.

Kerry substitutions yesterday. BJ Keane,D O'Sullivan, P Crowley,P Galvin,J Buckley,T Walsh and K Donaghy not used. All would arguably be starters on the Monaghan,Tyrone,Donegal,Mayo teams.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 03, 2015, 04:58:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2015, 04:41:01 PM

+1

Kerry substitutions yesterday. BJ Keane,D O'Sullivan, P Crowley,P Galvin,J Buckley,T Walsh and K Donaghy not used. All would arguably be starters on the Monaghan,Tyrone,Donegal,Mayo teams.

Most of them wouldn't be starting for Donegal or Mayo. Few of them at positions where either have needs or are any better that the current starters.

stew

Dublin struggle against a very movitated and talented Fermanagh outfit and suddenly they are struggling!

Bollocks to that, Dublin were looking past Fermanagh just like we did back in the day, I hope they push on and finally win that Ulster, shit, this might well inspire them to win Sam in a few years, not many teams could make Dublin struggle like that and I am delighted for the Fermanagh men.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 03, 2015, 04:58:47 PM

Defensively not many options there? Not as great a selection as it sounds, many of those players there have been hounded by injury and loss of form. BJ Keane is a sunshine player. Not sure where Paul Galvin is at? He was struggling 2 years ago as a 33 year old. Not saying they are completely useless (far from it)., They all are handy just are mixed bag of what they have to offer. The TV cameras spent most of time yesterday looking at both Kerry and Dublin substitute benches. Got a bit tedious after a while.

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on August 03, 2015, 03:28:36 PM
Hold that thought!

The only reason you would beat Monaghan is they have some kind of mental block for Tyrone... You don't have a better team.

Should you beat Monaghan (which I don't think you will anyway) there is no chance, absolutely no chance you'd beat Mayo/Dublin/Donegal/Kerry!

AZOffaly

Lads Dublin were going at approx 60% yesterday. The only worry I'd have about them is can they press the accelerator up to 100% when they need to, and maintain at that level for a 70 minute game against a real contender. They knew that had that game won after 15 minutes, similar to their other games this year. I wouldn't be basing my opinion of how they'll do against Mayo/Donegal on that basis. As I said, there may be lingering doubts about them being able to hit their straps when they need to from the start, but I wouldn't worry on the basis that Fermanagh hung around.

On that note, and I don't want to be hard on Fermanagh who tried really hard, but was anyone else slightly disconcerted to see the smiles and laughs from them after the game? I know they were huge outsiders and probably relieved they didn't get a beating like Kerry gave Kildare, but that was an All Ireland Quarter Final, and the losing team were beaten by 8 points, and would have been much more but for a couple of lucky goals, by a team operating at probably 60% intensity.

I understand the pride that they kept trying, but if you are essentially not within an asses roar of really competing with the team that just beat you in an All Ireland Quarter Final, should you be laughing and smiling?

I'm not trying to be hard on them, and I'm not suggesting my own county would have done in anyway any better, but I thought this Fermanagh team had a bit more oomph in them than that. I thought it was a bit worrying from a competition standpoint. Would Fermanagh be that blasé about losing by 8 points to Donegal?

And I think some of the media comment is patronising at best.

ONeill

Did you want them to be grumpy?

Fermanagh put a bit of a smile back on a game that's obsessed with professionalism at that level. They knew they were well beaten long before the whistle and were also aware of the ludicrous nature of the two goals. The gay abandon made a fleeting reappearance and it was a joy to watch. Quigley's last score was a clinker. Instead of trudging off the field a whipped side, they knew exactly what had happened and revelled in it. More to life and Rudyard Kipling and all that. Won't win Sams but FFS.

They've to return to the dreary steeples y'know.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on August 03, 2015, 08:15:10 PM

Fermanagh put a bit of a smile back on a game that's obsessed with professionalism at that level. They knew they were well beaten long before the whistle and were also aware of the ludicrous nature of the two goals. The gay abandon made a fleeting reappearance and it was a joy to watch. Quigley's last score was a clinker. Instead of trudging off the field a whipped side, they knew exactly what had happened and revelled in it. More to life and Rudyard Kipling and all that. Won't win Sams but FFS.

I'd expect them to be a bit shocked that that sort of gap exists, a bit raw from being beaten so well, but proud that at least they kept going.

I wouldn't have expected them to look so happy so soon after the game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
Lads Dublin were going at approx 60% yesterday. The only worry I'd have about them is can they press the accelerator up to 100% when they need to, and maintain at that level for a 70 minute game against a real contender. They knew that had that game won after 15 minutes, similar to their other games this year. I wouldn't be basing my opinion of how they'll do against Mayo/Donegal on that basis. As I said, there may be lingering doubts about them being able to hit their straps when they need to from the start, but I wouldn't worry on the basis that Fermanagh hung around.

On that note, and I don't want to be hard on Fermanagh who tried really hard, but was anyone else slightly disconcerted to see the smiles and laughs from them after the game? I know they were huge outsiders and probably relieved they didn't get a beating like Kerry gave Kildare, but that was an All Ireland Quarter Final, and the losing team were beaten by 8 points, and would have been much more but for a couple of lucky goals, by a team operating at probably 60% intensity.

I understand the pride that they kept trying, but if you are essentially not within an asses roar of really competing with the team that just beat you in an All Ireland Quarter Final, should you be laughing and smiling?

I'm not trying to be hard on them, and I'm not suggesting my own county would have done in anyway any better, but I thought this Fermanagh team had a bit more oomph in them than that. I thought it was a bit worrying from a competition standpoint. Would Fermanagh be that blasé about losing by 8 points to Donegal?

And I think some of the media comment is patronising at best.

Look the whole thing about yesterdays game was for Fermanagh to stay in single figures behind Dublin. Kildare getting hammered by Kerry helped with the perception of the performance coupled with 2 lucky goals and a couple of late points to make the final scoreline look less daunting. The attitude of the fans helped with the feel good factor.

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2015, 08:17:31 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 03, 2015, 08:15:10 PM

I'd expect them to be a bit shocked that that sort of gap exists, a bit raw from being beaten so well, but proud that at least they kept going.

I wouldn't have expected them to look so happy so soon after the game.

It's the end of the inter-county season for Fermanagh. The hilly journey through the qualifiers and bond between the supporters and players had been spoken about more than any other side this summer and both parties recognised that one last time. As Pete McGrath said at half time, they can lie down and get hammered by 20 or put up a fight and show pride in the jersey. Next year is a different matter.

Of course they were aware that gap exists. Everyone knows it. Even my ma.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

easytiger95

Don't think there is anything wrong with a bit of good humour to pervade the dour, win-at-all-costs attitude that hovers over football most of the time.

My own thoughts on yesterday would be

I'm more nervous of the Dubs than ever. The form of Paul Flynn is very worrying - as a number of posters have said he is the engine of our team, but if anyone thinks he is anywhere near 2014 or 2013 form, they are deluding themselves.

I love fenton as a player, great footpasser, but we can only afford him if MDMA is firing on all cylinders. I'd fear for our midfield against any of the teams left. I've always wanted Cian O'Sullivan as centre back, think it is his best position, but there is also something to be said for having a completely solid grafter in beside MDMA, letting him rampage forward. John Small might be have to be thrown in.

Some of our passing, by foot and hand, was terrible - not a great position to be in, especially given the fact that for 55 mins of that game we were under no pressure.

Peaking for a semi? Dangerous game to play.

As for Quigley, maybe there was an issue with how other posters phrased it, but I think it is fair enough to say that I'd love to see what kind of performance he'd put in if he was a stone or so lighter. Whatever you may think of the philosophy of there being elite athletes in the GAA, the fact is, at this level, he is up against them. You can mythologise about his shoulders like the M1 (!! Jesus, he put both hands on a keeper and pushed him over the line when he was coming down from a catch, hardly the Rock against Limerick 2001!!) all you like, the fact remains the Dublin team were markedly bigger and faster than Fermanagh. And his best scores came after the game was dead.

He has a choice to make, expand his undoubted talents to the very limit, and maybe drag the entire team with him - or head out for a 2am pizza. It was great to see Fermanagh leave with heads held high - but the team of 2004 did more than that, and Armagh were as unbackable in that game as Dublin were yesterday. Counties like Fermanagh will never have sustained success a la Kerry or Dublin, which makes it all the more important when they have players like Quigley, Corrigan etc to make the very best of them.