Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: FermGael on July 30, 2015, 11:45:44 PM
9 pages.
That's a new record for any stand alone fermanagh game

Did you miss the Ros-Fermanagh thread so Ferm..

T Fearon

Is it right that Fermanagh qualify for the Quarter Finals beating Antrim Roscommon and Westmeath whereas a Donegal have to beat Tyrone,Armagh,Derry and Galway?

J70

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2015, 02:20:08 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 30, 2015, 01:27:23 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 30, 2015, 12:26:20 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 30, 2015, 11:53:39 AM
Quote from: Thastheball on July 30, 2015, 11:40:53 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 30, 2015, 11:36:42 AM
Fermanagh have been a playing a defensive system all year.

I know that, but we are referring to an ultra defensive set up similar to Tyrones and Derry, which caused Dublin serious problems.
McGrath has said that they will stick to the same gameplan they've played all year which is fair enough, I'd believe him as I don't think there's any point in trying to re-jig at this stage nor is it possible. Ultimately Dublin's superior fitness and options on bench will see them through, I expect Fermanagh to give it a right oul lash though and get tore into those Jackeen b**tards. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.
The days of giving it an "oul lash" and getting stuck in relevance to the outcome of games at this level are long gone.
Fermanagh will be tanked.

With regret on both counts you are 100% correct. Fermangh were 8-2 down after 25mins against the Rossies who were missing half their team. Were 5-2 down verses a poor Westmeath side after 30mins. How much will they trail Dublin after 25? The Dubs wont let up either. Fermanagh would give any side outside the top 4 a game. Alas Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and Mayo are in a different class. Then again the same could be said most Div 2 and 3 teams, when they come up against the top 4.

In fairness it's a bit cheeky including Donegal in a top four now. Fermanagh would probably give them a game given how well they played against Monaghan for much of their match.

Well, we'll know soon enough, but in the meantime, who would be ahead of us outside of Mayo, Kerry and the Dubs?

Lots of teams could give a top 4 side a game. Cork gave Kerry their fill the first day and should have won. Armagh ran us extremely close last year. Monaghan match up extremely well against us, but have yet to do anything beyond that on the national stage and were annihilated by the Dubs last year before we got our chance. Giving someone a game and consistently making AI semis and finals are two different things.

Say McBrearty's last minute shot goes three inches to the left and we get the replay and then win Ulster? Are we still top 4?

I have my doubts personally about our prospects after the tough run of games we've had and could yet have, but that doesn't mean there are suddenly five or six teams who are better than us, any more than the hype after the Armagh game meant we were suddenly part of a top three, ahead of Mayo.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2015, 12:48:30 AM
Is it right that Fermanagh qualify for the Quarter Finals beating Antrim Roscommon and Westmeath whereas a Donegal have to beat Tyrone,Armagh,Derry and Galway?

Not Fermanagh's fault, blame an anachronistic provincial system. Who of note have Dublin beaten to get to the same stage?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2015, 01:25:09 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2015, 02:20:08 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 30, 2015, 01:27:23 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 30, 2015, 12:26:20 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 30, 2015, 11:53:39 AM
Quote from: Thastheball on July 30, 2015, 11:40:53 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 30, 2015, 11:36:42 AM
Fermanagh have been a playing a defensive system all year.

I know that, but we are referring to an ultra defensive set up similar to Tyrones and Derry, which caused Dublin serious problems.
McGrath has said that they will stick to the same gameplan they've played all year which is fair enough, I'd believe him as I don't think there's any point in trying to re-jig at this stage nor is it possible. Ultimately Dublin's superior fitness and options on bench will see them through, I expect Fermanagh to give it a right oul lash though and get tore into those Jackeen b**tards. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.
The days of giving it an "oul lash" and getting stuck in relevance to the outcome of games at this level are long gone.
Fermanagh will be tanked.

With regret on both counts you are 100% correct. Fermangh were 8-2 down after 25mins against the Rossies who were missing half their team. Were 5-2 down verses a poor Westmeath side after 30mins. How much will they trail Dublin after 25? The Dubs wont let up either. Fermanagh would give any side outside the top 4 a game. Alas Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and Mayo are in a different class. Then again the same could be said most Div 2 and 3 teams, when they come up against the top 4.

In fairness it's a bit cheeky including Donegal in a top four now. Fermanagh would probably give them a game given how well they played against Monaghan for much of their match.

Well, we'll know soon enough, but in the meantime, who would be ahead of us outside of Mayo, Kerry and the Dubs?

Lots of teams could give a top 4 side a game. Cork gave Kerry their fill the first day and should have won. Armagh ran us extremely close last year. Monaghan match up extremely well against us, but have yet to do anything beyond that on the national stage and were annihilated by the Dubs last year before we got our chance. Giving someone a game and consistently making AI semis and finals are two different things.

Say McBrearty's last minute shot goes three inches to the left and we get the replay and then win Ulster? Are we still top 4?

I have my doubts personally about our prospects after the tough run of games we've had and could yet have, but that doesn't mean there are suddenly five or six teams who are better than us, any more than the hype after the Armagh game meant we were suddenly part of a top three, ahead of Mayo.

If buts and maybes J70, we know all about those. Fact is Monaghan have beaten ye twice in three Ulster finals now, it's simply impossible to put you ahead of them on any right-minded scale at this point. If you beat Galway and Mayo you may have a case but that's another huge maybe.

You also have not exhibited the provincial dominance Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have in the past few years. You might say 'ah sure Ulster is tough' but both times it came down not the toughness of the province but to one team finding you out tactically. So what right does Donegal have to being put before Monaghan on any list?

Donegal would be number five if I had to rank the teams, and with Lacey out and Murphy perhaps far more limited than Gallagher is letting on its hard to put ye any higher than that at this moment.

Hound

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2015, 02:01:18 AM
If buts and maybes J70, we know all about those. Fact is Monaghan have beaten ye twice in three Ulster finals now, it's simply impossible to put you ahead of them on any right-minded scale at this point. If you beat Galway and Mayo you may have a case but that's another huge maybe.

You also have not exhibited the provincial dominance Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have in the past few years. You might say 'ah sure Ulster is tough' but both times it came down not the toughness of the province but to one team finding you out tactically. So what right does Donegal have to being put before Monaghan on any list?

Donegal would be number five if I had to rank the teams, and with Lacey out and Murphy perhaps far more limited than Gallagher is letting on its hard to put ye any higher than that at this moment.
Donegal will be vulnerable v Galway.

But if you asked Dublin, Mayo or Kerry would they rather play Donegal or Monaghan in an All Ireland semi or final, they'd all choose Monaghan in an instant. That could change by the end of this year, depending on whether Monaghan can up their game to the next level, which maybe they can, but for now Donegal are still top 4 and Monaghan are 5.

Can't happen but if Donegal beat Galway and were then drawn to play Monaghan in the QFs, Donegal would be favourites with every bookie. Not by a huge amount, but still favourites.

From the Bunker

Donegal are ahead of monaghan.  They in recent years have won the anglo celt 3 out of 5 years. They have beaten Mayo, Kerry,  Dublin, Cork and not lost to Tyrone during that period.  More importantly they have won an AI title. Mayo are behind them. They are top three.

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on July 30, 2015, 11:07:31 PM
An answer to all the Dubs complaining why they have become easily the most unpopular team in Ireland..Dry your eyes and take your medicine lads, you get slagged for all the success you are enjoying and the arrogance that this brings....  They need to split Dublin in two and form an easy beaten South Dublin team that could be loved by 31 counties....
Carve the dubs up!   

Who's complaining? I'd say 99.9% of us have never known any different and couldnt give a fiddlers

JoG2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2015, 01:29:34 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2015, 12:48:30 AM

Not Fermanagh's fault, blame an anachronistic provincial system. Who of note have Dublin beaten to get to the same stage?

use the ignore function Fear

Up Fermanagh !

The Aristocrat

An answer to all the Dubs complaining why they have become easily the most unpopular team in Ireland..Dry your eyes and take your medicine lads, you get slagged for all the success you are enjoying and the arrogance that this brings....  They need to split Dublin in two and form an easy beaten South Dublin team that could be loved by 31 counties....
Carve the dubs up!   

Prefer not to be liked and don't want to be liked, makes its all the sweater when we win, all Dubs know its 31 v1 and we love it and its great being a Dub when we are the best football playing team ever seen with naturally gifted players and the best player in the country this year and winning numerous leagues, Leinsters and all Irelands at all levels in both codes and with the best clubs in the country accompanied by the most efficient county board in the country, sure who's complaining and giving out?

macdanger2

Quote from: The Aristocrat on July 31, 2015, 09:47:42 AM
Carve the dubs up!   

Prefer not to be liked and don't want to be liked, makes its all the sweater when we win, all Dubs know its 31 v1 and we love it and its great being a Dub when we are the best football playing team ever seen with naturally gifted players and the best player in the country this year and winning numerous leagues, Leinsters and all Irelands at all levels in both codes and with the best clubs in the country accompanied by the most efficient county board in the country, sure who's complaining and giving out?

Bullsh*t, I know you all lie awake at night crying because nobody likes you (tis probably hard to sleep with all the needles and burnt spoons in the bed anyway)

Syferus

With the amount of money pumped into the county the Dublin CB is by far the most inefficient in all of Ireland..

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2015, 10:09:52 AM
With the amount of money pumped into the county the Dublin CB is by far the most inefficient in all of Ireland..

Your ignorance makes our victories more satisfying.

Sidney

Prediction: Dublin 6-25 Fermanagh 0-5.

Teo Lurley

Did someone mention Dublin getting millions of euro? I'll have a look into it and I might be back later to do a comparison between Dublin and Fermanagh in the money tables.