Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on August 05, 2015, 11:40:25 AM
Quote from: FermGael on August 04, 2015, 10:55:34 PM
Where to begin? I think it's better to start at the beginning.
At the start of the year Fermanagh were third favourites to get relegated to division 4. We were not given a chance of promotion and McGrath would have been under a bit of pressure as some Fermanagh people were questioning his tactics and if he could adapt to the modern game.  We had lost another couple of quality footballers to retirement in Barry Owens and Tommy McElroy and we had a largely young untested team. 
We won promotion quite convincingly finishing top of the league and were then defeated in a league final by Armagh. 
Beat Antrim in the first round despite playing terribly and had managed to keep in touch of Monaghan until we had a man sent off.   Then we hit the qualifiers where McGrath set the team a target of playing football in August which they achieved.
Then we played Dublin and got beat despite a spirited last 10 minutes.The scenes at the end of the match were a lot to do with where the majority of the Fermanagh were sitting which was around the middle of the Hogan.
What choice did the players have? Walk down the tunnel in a huff, ignore the fans ? I can just imagine what sort of reaction that would have gotten.   All they did was thank the supporters for there support but if you listened to most of the Fermanagh interviews after the match you could see the focus was all ready about an Ulster title next year.  That has to be the focus.
In fairness to Fermanagh we are blessed in having a first class school that has been producing county footballers for the last 25 years in St Michael's and we have been very competitive at schools level across Ulster.  But our underage record has been terrible.  We have won one or two minor games in the last 20 years.  That's where our issue is.  That's why Club Eirne was reformed this year as a way of raising money for the county.  According to an interview in last weeks paper we have now over 120 members each giving between £500 and £1000 per year.   Events like a qualifier run make that an easier sell. 
We also have a number of players who have not made themselves available for one reason or another ( and I do not include Seamie Quigley in that as that ship has sailed FFS Malachy O'Rourke, Peter Canavan and now Pete McGrath have now all omitted him from there panels for one reason or another). Next year should be an easier sell to some of those players who will have seen how much the Fermanagh set up has progressed.
In 2003 we got thumped by Tyrone in an All Ireland quarter final.  17 points I believe.  A year later we were back and managed to get to the next stage. The 04 team were a special group of lads but always remember some of the best players in the county refused to play for them that year.  A certain Donegal manager springs to mind.

As for Jim's article I think he missed the point.  In fact I remember Donegal getting a hammering one year from Mayo in a quarter or semi final by at least 10 points I think and they regrouped even better the next year.  He has a short memory.  As others have stated if the Gaa really want to help weaker counties they will increase funding. Any 'a' and ''b' tiered championship will just increase the gap between top and bottom. Crowds will be there for the 'a' tier games but it will be die hards only for the 'b' games.  That means even less money at the gate for the weaker counties. The issue is funding and the Gaa have to deal with it. 

Fermanagh had a good year and the hope now is to build on it next year in division 2 and then push on for that Ulster title.

Oh and Cluxton made a mistake.  He's the best keeper in Ireland by a country mile.  The pinpoint accuracy of his kickouts was amazing.

What McGuinness and Heaney are spouting is disappointing.

People say it's human nature to dwell on the negatives after a defeat. It is, but it's a limited human mindset. I've much more admiration for those who busted a gut in training and during games as much as any side (and Fermanagh moreso than any) and can react the way they did in the aftermath. After initial disappointment, they displayed a more roundly sporting attitude that sets a positive role model for anyone involved in sport or even on a human level.

Jimmy McGuinness - the man who in his greatest hour grumped in the press conference til someone was thrown out.

Bolloxes the lot of them. Up Fermanagh and up a bit of cop on.
We have spent that much of our money on Dublin and that little on Fermanagh that we all need to breathe a sigh of relief that at least we didnt witness a slaughtering.  What we seen was a triumph of heart and soul.  Fermanagh mas hinted that we need to spread the wealth and we can create better teams..  They have made us question our decision making to date.  Yes a job had to be done on Dublin who were hopeless losers and we needed to pump in money to focus their efforts on GAA.  Its time to support the neccessary infrastructure in the smaller counties and those wastrels in Antrim as well.

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 05, 2015, 06:16:56 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 05, 2015, 11:40:25 AM
Quote from: FermGael on August 04, 2015, 10:55:34 PM
Where to begin? I think it's better to start at the beginning.
At the start of the year Fermanagh were third favourites to get relegated to division 4. We were not given a chance of promotion and McGrath would have been under a bit of pressure as some Fermanagh people were questioning his tactics and if he could adapt to the modern game.  We had lost another couple of quality footballers to retirement in Barry Owens and Tommy McElroy and we had a largely young untested team. 
We won promotion quite convincingly finishing top of the league and were then defeated in a league final by Armagh. 
Beat Antrim in the first round despite playing terribly and had managed to keep in touch of Monaghan until we had a man sent off.   Then we hit the qualifiers where McGrath set the team a target of playing football in August which they achieved.
Then we played Dublin and got beat despite a spirited last 10 minutes.The scenes at the end of the match were a lot to do with where the majority of the Fermanagh were sitting which was around the middle of the Hogan.
What choice did the players have? Walk down the tunnel in a huff, ignore the fans ? I can just imagine what sort of reaction that would have gotten.   All they did was thank the supporters for there support but if you listened to most of the Fermanagh interviews after the match you could see the focus was all ready about an Ulster title next year.  That has to be the focus.
In fairness to Fermanagh we are blessed in having a first class school that has been producing county footballers for the last 25 years in St Michael's and we have been very competitive at schools level across Ulster.  But our underage record has been terrible.  We have won one or two minor games in the last 20 years.  That's where our issue is.  That's why Club Eirne was reformed this year as a way of raising money for the county.  According to an interview in last weeks paper we have now over 120 members each giving between £500 and £1000 per year.   Events like a qualifier run make that an easier sell. 
We also have a number of players who have not made themselves available for one reason or another ( and I do not include Seamie Quigley in that as that ship has sailed FFS Malachy O'Rourke, Peter Canavan and now Pete McGrath have now all omitted him from there panels for one reason or another). Next year should be an easier sell to some of those players who will have seen how much the Fermanagh set up has progressed.
In 2003 we got thumped by Tyrone in an All Ireland quarter final.  17 points I believe.  A year later we were back and managed to get to the next stage. The 04 team were a special group of lads but always remember some of the best players in the county refused to play for them that year.  A certain Donegal manager springs to mind.

As for Jim's article I think he missed the point.  In fact I remember Donegal getting a hammering one year from Mayo in a quarter or semi final by at least 10 points I think and they regrouped even better the next year.  He has a short memory.  As others have stated if the Gaa really want to help weaker counties they will increase funding. Any 'a' and ''b' tiered championship will just increase the gap between top and bottom. Crowds will be there for the 'a' tier games but it will be die hards only for the 'b' games.  That means even less money at the gate for the weaker counties. The issue is funding and the Gaa have to deal with it. 

Fermanagh had a good year and the hope now is to build on it next year in division 2 and then push on for that Ulster title.

Oh and Cluxton made a mistake.  He's the best keeper in Ireland by a country mile.  The pinpoint accuracy of his kickouts was amazing.

What McGuinness and Heaney are spouting is disappointing.

People say it's human nature to dwell on the negatives after a defeat. It is, but it's a limited human mindset. I've much more admiration for those who busted a gut in training and during games as much as any side (and Fermanagh moreso than any) and can react the way they did in the aftermath. After initial disappointment, they displayed a more roundly sporting attitude that sets a positive role model for anyone involved in sport or even on a human level.

Jimmy McGuinness - the man who in his greatest hour grumped in the press conference til someone was thrown out.

Bolloxes the lot of them. Up Fermanagh and up a bit of cop on.
We have spent that much of our money on Dublin and that little on Fermanagh that we all need to breathe a sigh of relief that at least we didnt witness a slaughtering.  What we seen was a triumph of heart and soul.  Fermanagh mas hinted that we need to spread the wealth and we can create better teams..  They have made us question our decision making to date.  Yes a job had to be done on Dublin who were hopeless losers and we needed to pump in money to focus their efforts on GAA.  Its time to support the neccessary infrastructure in the smaller counties and those wastrels in Antrim as well.

What a bitter f**ker you truly are. It's funny with Tyrone and Monaghan playing on Saturday I can't decide who I dislike less.

If you think Diarmuid Connolly was created my money you truly are a gobshite of the highest order. He was banging balls off our gable wall with both feet  as a five year old. Money creates nothing- hard work does.

Maybe if you applied yourself a bit more in Tyrone you might be able to count your senior all-irelands on two hands instead of one.

trueblue1234

Pot, Kettle. With the population and resources Dublin have they haven't exactly been the dominant force have they. Maybe lacking a little application themselves.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Johnnybegood

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 05, 2015, 08:31:53 PM
Pot, Kettle. With the population and resources Dublin have they haven't exactly been the dominant force have they. Maybe lacking a little application themselves.
I've asked this loads of times and not one of yiz can answer, comparitavly how big is the Dublin GAA family when held against other counties?

SpeculativeEffort

What a bitter f**ker you truly are. It's funny with Tyrone and Monaghan playing on Saturday I can't decide who I dislike less.

If you think Diarmuid Connolly was created my money you truly are a gobshite of the highest order. He was banging balls off our gable wall with both feet  as a five year old. Money creates nothing- hard work does.

Maybe if you applied yourself a bit more in Tyrone you might be able to count your senior all-irelands on two hands instead of one.

[/quote]

Yes hard work helps create players like Connolly but you also need the talent. If you have 1,500,000 people you are more likely to have more players with Connolly's talent. If you  have infrastructure (created by money) and success you are much more likely to keep them interested and motivated.
Dublin with 1,500,000 population + money from sponsorship etc + good structures= talented players seeing the fruits and putting in the effort leading to more players doing same and competition helps standards rise.
Any number of counties with 50,000-120,000 population + feck all money + poor structures= players seeing no success and being hammered out the gate leading to talent drain. Players putting time into other pursuits. Younger players having fewer role models and standards continuing to fall.

This is how the gap widens.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Johnnybegood on August 05, 2015, 08:50:30 PM
I've asked this loads of times and not one of yiz can answer, comparitavly how big is the Dublin GAA family when held against other counties?

If it's a similar % as other counties it will be many times the 2nd largest.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 05, 2015, 08:59:04 PM

not necessarily, the GAA family in Dublin is small comparative to the overall population, counties like Kerry are steeped in GAA,

trueblue1234

Going by the numbers being quoted in here about attendance at the Dublin clubs underage, the numbers would still be many times other counties.

Darby

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 05, 2015, 08:59:04 PM

Dublin deserve the most central council funding. They don't deserve 21 times as much as the second most (Cork), 37 times as much as Leitrim. What about that is so difficult for Dublin fans to accept?

By the way, I'm of the opinion that Dublin is the finest football county anyway besides Kerry, funding or no funding.

nrico2006

Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2015, 11:14:18 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2015, 08:33:29 AM
Roscommon , one of very few (Galway/Meath/?? ) Counties to have beaten Kerry in All Ireland Finals in all four grades of football, 
Tyrone have also beaten Kerry in minor, u-21 and senior finals.
That's only three  ;)
[/quote]

The only 3 that count.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Aristocrat

In Dublin senior football playing population is players in that play Senior championship or a lesser extent Inter championship and a rarity Junior championship ( Ciaran Kilkenny) but Inter now.

The old population argument is laughable now and shows real ignorance and used as a jealous tool to try and beat the dog with. Dublin can pick footballers from 1.5 million people, silly silly stuff at this stage.

Time for other counties to follow the Dublin model now, they are falling behind in everything from fitness to underage structures to finance and sponsorship, this is the future.

Teo Lurley

The only thing silly about the 1.5 million argument is that the population of Dublin is 1.2 million.
Other counties have similar problems to what Dublin have, like other sports being popular, some of their population being foreign, there's even some counties who have loads of Dubs living in their land. It's been known that these counties develop footballers with Dublin roots, only for the player to choose to represent Dublin at the end of it! There's also counties with worse problems trying to get playing numbers out of their population. The orange men don't really like the GAA.

If every county followed the Dublin model then the GAA would go bankrupt in the morning! Giving every county 1.5 million euros every year just to fund their underage structures is not possible. That Dublin have been receiving this for a decade is unbelievable. Maybe not as unbelievable as them only beating Fermanagh by 8 points considering all their advantages but still it's a scandal that we have all funded Dublin GAA for so long with noone questioning it.

How do we balance this unjust behaviour from Dublin GAA and the head honchos in the GAA?

JoG2

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 06, 2015, 08:53:38 AM
In Dublin senior football playing population is players in that play Senior championship or a lesser extent Inter championship and a rarity Junior championship ( Ciaran Kilkenny) but Inter now.

The old population argument is laughable now and shows real ignorance and used as a jealous tool to try and beat the dog with. Dublin can pick footballers from 1.5 million people, silly silly stuff at this stage.

Time for other counties to follow the Dublin model now, they are falling behind in everything from fitness to underage structures to finance and sponsorship, this is the future.

what is this model may I ask that other counties are not implementing? You're talking absolute nonsense. Money, and money alone is the advantage Dublin have over other counties

every county in the land has a tonne of volunteer coaches (dozens going through the structured coaching paths through their respective prov councils every year) coaching at all age groups. Development squads, the likes of Club Derry / Tyrone, the facilities, coaching seminars etc are all in place. Huge numbers volunteers in place putting in massive hours every week. If Dublin's coaches are better it is because they have singled out the best and added them to their roster.

The key difference is how the Dublin county teams are prepared. Do you think Jim Gavin and his coaches are light years ahead of other county coaches? Are they jack. Its the massive backroom teams in place (at huge expense) looking after their meals, their full time strength and conditioning that  other counties cannot come near to competing with.  They could for a season but would financially cripple themselves. Being a Dublin player is a world away from being a Derry player, a Wicklow player, a Meath player. We all know why Dublin can attract the big sponsors. 

Look it, that's the state of affairs, there's a huge gulf which will widen. I can't see how this will be addressed but don't be peddling this structure / model bull because it's all down to cold hard cash.

mackers

Whilst the money Dublin have is an undoubted advantage I do not buy into this notion that that is why they are where they are at the minute.  They are at the top of the game because they have incredible talents like Connolly, Flynn, Brogan and Cluxton.  They have a window of another 2/3 years before Brogan and Cluxton retire.  After this these guys will have to be replaced.  Dublin will find this just as difficult as Tyrone have in replacing McGuigan, O'Neill, etc. and Armagh did replacing McDonnell, McConville, etc.  They are not Man Utd and able to BUY players of the calibre they have now.  All the money in the world will not help if the replacements for Cluxton, Brogan etc are not at the same level.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

The Aristocrat

The two posters above, JOG2 and Leo "don't matter" Turley, embarrassing and ignorant comments. Time to wake up, improve your counties by whatever means possible rather than trying diminish another counties progress and brilliant volunteers at ground level. Dublin underage structures should be followed.

This argument has come up before here thousands of times so nothing will change jealous peoples minds of Dublin. Its like you want an apology that enough people are not born in your county so you can compete.

Again, playing population for the Dublin seniors to pick from is probably divisions 1-3. Please also note that Dublin has the largest per population amateur soccer leagues in Europe.

I worked at ground level in Dublin, if anybody needs assistance with a plan for you county underage structures and development please mail me.