Kerry v Kildare August 2nd Croke Park

Started by Dinny Breen, July 26, 2015, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 02, 2015, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 06:31:43 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 02, 2015, 05:44:24 PM
That was the mother and father of a hiding. Seriously hard to watch.

You won't win anything with those players DH. Outside Cribben, Kelly, Smith and Moolick the rest just gave up.

A horse that refuses a fence once will do it again. I would go as far to say some of those players shouldn't play county football for Kildare again.

We wouldn't be expecting to win anything with our current group of players. Most of what's there is the best we have and the standard of the club championship isn't too hectic. A few promising young players could come good in a few years but a lot of those lads went to the States this summer.

Ryan will get gate now but it's a psychiatrist rather than a manager that we need.

It's not a question of winning sometimes DH. Its how you lose sometimes can be as important as winning. A team that refuses to be beaten easily can evolve over time as better personnel become available.

team that throws in the towel will always throw in the towel regardless of whether better personnel becomes available or not. It becomes cultural. We did it in 2009 against Kerry and Gilroy gutted the team. You need to do the same.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 06:59:17 PM

You won't win anything with those players DH. Outside Cribben, Kelly, Smith and Moolick the rest just gave up.

A horse that refuses a fence once will do it again. I would go as far to say some of those players shouldn't play county football for Kildare again.

We wouldn't be expecting to win anything with our current group of players. Most of what's there is the best we have and the standard of the club championship isn't too hectic. A few promising young players could come good in a few years but a lot of those lads went to the States this summer.

Ryan will get gate now but it's a psychiatrist rather than a manager that we need.

It's not a question of winning sometimes DH. Its how you lose sometimes can be as important as winning. A team that refuses to be beaten easily can evolve over time as better personnel become available.

team that throws in the towel will always throw in the towel regardless of whether better personnel becomes available or not. It becomes cultural. We did it in 2009 against Kerry and Gilroy gutted the team. You need to do the same.

That's the trouble though. A few of our lads threw in the towel mid season and abandoned ship. There simply aren't enough quality players in the county to absorb defections and the lads who were there today were the lads who stuck at it after the league and after the Dublin match.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2015, 03:52:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 03:48:25 PM
Hard to be hard on Kildare. Is there any team other than the other quarter finalists would not have done any better?

Without a doubt there is. Derry are nothing exciting gonig forward but they wouldn't have been pillaged for seven goals. Kildare let the heads drop, that's as much why they conceded so much as it Kerry being brilliant.

How did Derry do in the National League final against Dublin last year?

J70

Then again, look at Donegal.

Most of the All Ireland winning team were in the line-up the day Armagh hammered us in 2010. A lot were there in 2009 against Cork. Or 2007 against Monaghan in Omagh and Tyrone in Clones (nothing like Kildare today, but still severe beatings when we threw in the towel).

Zulu

Wouldn't agree Kildare gave up at all. Kildare played with a sweeper for most of the game but they went man for man in an attempt to win the game. Unfortunately for them they got hit with a goal straight away but still had to push on and try and win the game and just got hit for goals after that. Lyons, Doyle and Fitzpatrick all played well and Smith and Kelly showed well up front. The problem for Kildare was lack of penetration and getting cleaned at midfield for long periods. Thought Kerry were average enough and I'd be much happier if I was in the Dublin camp than the Kerry one after today.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 02, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
Wouldn't agree Kildare gave up at all. Kildare played with a sweeper for most of the game but they went man for man in an attempt to win the game. Unfortunately for them they got hit with a goal straight away but still had to push on and try and win the game and just got hit for goals after that. Lyons, Doyle and Fitzpatrick all played well and Smith and Kelly showed well up front. The problem for Kildare was lack of penetration and getting cleaned at midfield for long periods. Thought Kerry were average enough and I'd be much happier if I was in the Dublin camp than the Kerry one after today.

I'd read nothing into either game. There was no questions asked of either team. Sidelines had no big calls. Their hardest decision was when to run the bench. The six best teams in the country are left. So from now on the games will be a lot more exciting!

Jinxy

Exactly.
Tommy Tom Tom was crying out for Kildare to throw caution to the wind and have a go.
When they did, and conceded 7 goals, he attributed their utter obliteration to the fact that they were too defensive in the first half!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

I watched the game from the Hill today and the Kildare defence were in front of me in the second half. And in the 72nd minute they had a sweeper. At no stage today had they less then one man spare at the back.

I don't how you can say some of those guys played well when DOS ran past 2 of them on two seperate occasions in the second half without one of them laying a hand on him.

It was comparable to Dublin's gutless effort in 2009 against Kerry.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 07:41:05 PM

I'd read nothing into either game. There was no questions asked of either team. Sidelines had no big calls. Their hardest decision was when to run the bench. The six best teams in the country are left. So from now on the games will be a lot more exciting!

Can't agree bunker.

I think Dublin still have a lot of problems at the back. To concede 2-15 against Fermanagh is not good in any language.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Syferus

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 02, 2015, 07:52:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 07:41:05 PM

Can't agree bunker.

I think Dublin still have a lot of problems at the back. To concede 2-15 against Fermanagh is not good in any language.

It's about what Fermanagh puts up on everyone. Dublin's defence has never been special, nor does it need to be for them to win this AI, perhaps even handily.

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 07:44:59 PM

I watched the game from the Hill today and the Kildare defence were in front of me in the second half. And in the 72nd minute they had a sweeper. At no stage today had they less then one man spare at the back.

I don't how you can say some of those guys played well when DOS ran past 2 of them on two seperate occasions in the second half without one of them laying a hand on him.

Don't agree Indiana. I was in the Hogan and Murnaghan was the sweeper but when he went off they went man for man but conceded almost immediately. Doyle was outstanding today with both Lyons and Fitzpatrick excellent for large parts of the game. Kildare were much closer to Kerry than Fermanagh were to Dublin though the scoreless would suggest different. I'd actually be quite encouraged by Kildare's performance if I was a Kildare man, they were nowhere near as bad as the scoreline suggests.

QuoteCan't agree bunker.

Dublin sleepwalked through that game and the ref can take a good deal of credit for Fermanagh's tally.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on August 02, 2015, 08:03:50 PM

Don't agree Indiana. I was in the Hogan and Murnaghan was the sweeper but when he went off they went man for man but conceded almost immediately. Doyle was outstanding today with both Lyons and Fitzpatrick excellent for large parts of the game. Kildare were much closer to Kerry than Fermanagh were to Dublin though the scoreless would suggest different. I'd actually be quite encouraged by Kildare's performance if I was a Kildare man, they were nowhere near as bad as the scoreline suggests.

QuoteCan't agree bunker.

Dublin sleepwalked through that game and the ref can take a good deal of credit for Fermanagh's tally.

I think for a county like Kildare to be beaten in that manner with their football pedigree really is a crisis.

They've an awful lot of very average footballers playing today in my opinion. Outside Cribben, Kelly and Peter Kelly they've very little other top counties would want. And when you add the lack of backbone to things it doesn't become a job anyone would want

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Zulu on August 02, 2015, 08:03:50 PM

QuoteCan't agree bunker.

Bahahhahahaha encouraged by a 27 point defeat bahahahahahhahahahha

Blowitupref

Dublin team from the All Ireland final in 2011. In bold played against Kerry in 2009.

S Cluxton, C O'Sullivan, R O'Carroll, M Fitzsimons, J McCarthy, G Brennan, K Nolan (0-01), D Bastick (0-01), MD MacAuley, P Flynn, B Cahill, B Cullen, A Brogan, D Connolly, B Brogan

Most teams would make that amount of changes in two years however the biggest change with the Dublin team was the quality they brought into defence and MacAuley into midfield.

Midfield and defence is what Kildare need repairing they have won a few Leinster underage titles now they surely have some talent coming through to improve on todays performance.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

That's the difference between just looking at the scoreline and looking at the performance. Kildare are closer to the top than Fermanagh and a good few others.