High profile county seniors who never played minor

Started by JoG2, July 22, 2015, 11:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 23, 2015, 05:13:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2015, 05:02:29 PM
If Aidan O'Mahony was so dominating Kerry wouldn't need to protect their FB line so much..

Are you just a bad WUM or are you really that clueless?

Football ability aside, has he botox or something lately? He looks way different

Walter Cronc

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 23, 2015, 05:28:00 PM
If Aidan O'Mahony was so dominating Kerry wouldn't need to protect their FB line so much..

Football ability aside, has he botox or something lately? He looks way different

He's got some piece in fairness. She's fairly glam.

Think he's a culchie garrrrrd though so immediately dislike him.

Syferus

The usual over the top reaction from the man with the agenda.

O'Mahony is still a decent player but even you have to realise he isn't regularly dominating and that he has plenty of bodies in from of him to help out. He's a 35 year-old man for christsakes, and his lack of pace has caught him at times. The Kerry FB line has looked fragile more times in the big games you referred to him dominating in than it hasn't in recent years.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2015, 05:39:38 PM

O'Mahony is still a decent player but even you have to realise he isn't regularly dominating and that he has plenty of bodies in from of him to help out. He's a 35 year-old man for christsakes, and his lack of pace has caaught him at times. The Kerry FB has looked fragile more times than it hasn't in recent years.

"If Aidan O'Mahony was so dominating Kerry wouldn't need to protect their FB line so much.."

Honest question, did you watch the whole game last Saturday night..and if so did you realise that Mahony was playing as a sweeper and NOT following Mark Collins out the field, so he WAS protecting the fullback line? Not, you know, needing protection as you said?

I shouldn't have high expectations of you by now, but thought you'd have least figured that out. He isn't

As for your "regularly dominating" argument...he was good or better in the 4 biggest games of the championship last year..is that regular?
Look, Aidan is probably on the last roll of the dice and certainly isn't able for nippy forwards the way he used to be, but last years replay in Limerick and the final were evidence of how effective he still can be at the very highest level.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 23, 2015, 05:54:33 PM

O'Mahony is still a decent player but even you have to realise he isn't regularly dominating and that he has plenty of bodies in from of him to help out. He's a 35 year-old man for christsakes, and his lack of pace has caaught him at times. The Kerry FB has looked fragile more times than it hasn't in recent years.

"If Aidan O'Mahony was so dominating Kerry wouldn't need to protect their FB line so much.."

Honest question, did you watch the whole game last Saturday night..and if so did you realise that Mahony was playing as a sweeper and NOT following Mark Collins out the field, so he WAS protecting the fullback line? Not, you know, needing protection as you said?

I shouldn't have high expectations of you by now, but thought you'd have least figured that out. He isn't

As for your "regularly dominating" argument...he was good or better in the 4 biggest games of the championship last year..is that regular?
Look, Aidan is probably on the last roll of the dice and certainly isn't able for nippy forwards the way he used to be, but last years replay in Limerick and the final were evidence of how effective he still can be at the very highest level.

A sweeper in front of a FB line is still part of the FB line, they're a unit. Indeed you've hit the nail on the head, why would he be a sweeper sitting back if he was dominating opponents? He's being used used smartly by Fitzmaurice to get the best from his years of experience and awareness.

O'Mahony is still playing more minutes than would seem ideal. If it was him alone there you could write it off but when you have Marc O'Se lining up in the same line many times teams will and do look to exploit their weaknesses. I think their lack of pace is a big factor to why Kerry have went so defensive in big games under Fitzmaurice but clearly he feels the players under them are not better options (save dropping Marc for the Mayo game) so it is a concern whatever way you colour it.

You seem to think I'm dead set against Kerry. None of this means I think they're a bad side but the standard Kerry are judged against is higher than most other counties, particularly when they're one of only two (or three if I'm feeling extremely generous) teams that might have even a snowball's chance of stopping Dublin.

5 Sams

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 23, 2015, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 23, 2015, 04:46:37 PM
Never heard anyone say anything but superlatives about Tom Sullivan and Michael McCarthy. Great players and for the life of me I cannot understand how they were "underrated",

If you are looking for "underrated" Kerry players I would go no further than Seamus Scanlon and Tommy Griffin.
Both very effective but imo were always overshadowed by others. Imo of course.

Tommy was a very good player and did a great job whenever called on all over the field. Never got an extended run owing to injuries and the quality of others around him. Still, won 4 AI medals on the field of play, 5 total.
Scanlon did a great job for a couple of years there and really got the most out of himself. He didn't have the skills of the others mentioned though and his kicking was fairly awful at times. He got an Allstar in 2009 which was an amazing achievement considering he had been dropped from the Kerry squad around 2005, so can't say he was THAT underrated either!
Tommy had a really odd injury. He got a serious infection in his leg which left him out of action for 18 months to a year. I know the lad quite well and always say to him Michael Shields stole his All Star award in 2009. Tommy was superb for Kerry that year the whole way through at full back. However down through the years he spent the majority of his time at midfield though. Check out what Jack O'Connor said about him in his book....he used to get Tommy to wind Darragh up to get him going. No better man. 5 Celtic crosses isn't a bad return. If you are ever in Dingle call in to see him in Muiris Dan's in John St. If he's not there then his mate Pauric Corcoran will be there, current Maor Foirne for the Kerry senior team. If you want to talk football these lads and their customers will talk all night.
The Aristocrat Years

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2015, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 23, 2015, 05:54:33 PM

A sweeper in front of a FB line is still part of the FB line, they're a unit. Indeed you've hit the nail on the head, why would he be a sweeper sitting back if he was dominating opponents? He's being used used smartly by Fitzmaurice to get the best from his years of experience and awareness.

O'Mahony is still playing more minutes than would seem ideal. If it was him alone there you could write it off but when you have Marc O'Se lining up in the same line many times teams will and do look to exploit their weaknesses. I think their lack of pace is a big factor to why Kerry have went so defensive in big games under Fitzmaurice but clearly he feels the players under them are not better options (save dropping Marc for the Mayo game) so it is a concern whatever way you colour it.

You seem to think I'm dead set against Kerry. None of this means I think they're a bad side but the standard Kerry are judged against is higher than most other counties, particularly when they're one of only two (or three if I'm feeling extremely generous) teams that might have even a snowball's chance of stopping Dublin.

Y'know Sy that Kerry full back line would not have conceded 2-11 v Sligo like Mayo did. O Mahoney, O Sé can still be depended upon to manage situations. Mayo had a good defensive attitude v Sligo but the last line were a bag of nails. If we had those 2 Kerrymen the long wait would have ended already. All fine and well talking about marquee forwards but the lads that can deal with the marquee forwards just as important, or even more so. I see Hurley has been dropped by Cork after being lauded as special not so long ago.

Estimator

Just seen a pic of the Kerry U21 All-Ireland Championship side from 1998, includes:
Tom O'Sullivan
Mike McCarthy
Tomas O'Sè
Tommy Griffen
Eamonn Fitzmaurice
Aodan McGearailt
Noel Kennelly

Decent return of Senior medals from that side.
Ulster League Champions 2009