Feast Days

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 25, 2007, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh4SamAgain

Everyday used to be no on as a feast day for sum st in Ireland but there never mentioned anymore. i think ity woud be good to remind ppl abiout them.

Today is the feast of st Mark. He is called st Mark the evanilist because he rote the gostel according to Mark. He was really called John but it was confusin havin so many johns about so the used hios Roman name Mark instead.
He was dragged around by the Egyptians with a rope around his neck and kilt. This was after he rote the holy gospel so it was. They tried to burn him but his body wodn't burn so the catholic took his body and give him a proper christain burial. Then the Pope made him a saint. He is the patron saint of notaries. What are they?

Heres a link to more info about his life http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=305

We should always remember an pray for the saints like this on there feast day.. THey suffered for there faith in olden times so they did.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

full back

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Holy fcuk - can someone help me off the floor
A4SA for sainthood
Brilliant lad, brilliant

lurganblue

QuoteThis was after he rote the holy gospel so it was

brilliant
;D ;D ;D ;D

Lecale2

Jesus Christ I nearly p***ed myself laughing - now I've a couple of cracked ribs!

Can we expect a daily contribution on this thread Armagh4Sam?

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Bensars

forget the feast days A4SA,   hows the death notices going ?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on April 25, 2007, 01:24:15 PM
Everyday used to be no on as a feast day for sum st in Ireland but there never mentioned anymore. i think ity woud be good to remind ppl abiout them.
QuoteText generation told they must learn how to spell and punctu8

Examiners call time on mobile phone language

EXPERTISE in text messaging and email would appear to have affected spelling and punctuation.

The State Examinations Commission says the frequency of errors of grammar and punctuation, even among higher level students taking the Junior Cert exam, is a matter of concern.

"The emergence of the mobile phone and the rise of text messaging as a popular means of communication would appear to have impacted on standards of writing as evidenced in the responses of candidates," says the 2006 Chief Examiner's report for English.

It warns that text messaging with its use of phonetic spelling and little or no punctuation, seems to pose a threat to traditional conventions in writing.

The report says that if candidates are to achieve their potential in higher level English, they will need to have a grasp of the fundamentals of grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax.

In sections such as 'Functional Writing', candidates are expected to compose and express their ideas in a style or genre appropriate to their purpose. Good layout, sentence structure and paragraphing are all functions of this purpose.

The report gives lots of examples of answers where candidates received top marks and many where they were penalised for poor answers, spelling, punctuation and lack of clarity.

It recommends that students should listen to language in as many and different ways as they can. They should listen to more than one radio station to hear the variety of ways in which people speak, and how the manner of speaking changes as different subjects are presented.

Contexts

They should speak the language in different ways and search out contexts in which they have to speak to people formally as well as informally.

"Take time to converse. Observe the different ways people speak and try to understand why they do so. Get involved in activities such as public speaking, debating or drama as a means of widening your spoken expression."

It also recommends that they read, widely, enjoyably and often. "Read a daily paper - free, if you call into your local library. Read magazines, books and instruction sheets that come with appliances and gadgets. Savour the styles of different writers.

"Take particular care with spelling and punctuation. English written in your examination answer book will be more complex and varies more than that used for texting on your mobile phone. Good spelling and well-used punctuation add clarity and precision to your writing," adds the report.

Last year more than 57,000 students took English in the Junior Cert exam, nearly two-thirds of them at higher level, 31pc at ordinary level and only 4pc at foundation level. The report issues what it calls a quiet warning about the continued rise in the uptake by candidates at higher level. Some might be better advised to attempt the ordinary level, it advises.

John Walshe
Oh dear!!

Armagh4SamAgain

Wats dat all about?  ???
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Bacon

God bless you Armagh4SamAgain!  ;D
Always guanteed to brighten up my day.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

5 Sams

QuotePosted by: Armagh4SamAgain   

Everyday used to be no on as a feast day

He was dragged around by the Egyptians with a rope around his neck and kilt.

Work of a genius...or a fool...I still can't make my mind up.
The Aristocrat Years

nifan

No1

:D

Comedy f**king genius!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on April 25, 2007, 01:24:15 PM
He is the patron saint of notaries. What are they?
Lawyers of a sort - they can witness and draw up contracts etc.

Blacksheep

I should have known better, but I opened this in an open plan office and burst into laughter. I had to pretend I was choking on a sweet. Some smart arse tried the Heimlich Manoeuvre which made me laugh all the more. At least the supervisor sent me to the canteen to get a drink and recover  :D

Fair paly to you Armagh4Sam you made my day.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Hardy

Very good.

It used to be procedure here to put this kind of thing down to O'Neill. I don't see why we should dispense with such an excellent traditon.