Feast Days

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 25, 2007, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

QuoteI agree with Pints Of Guinness and Blast05. A young lad embraces traditional Irish Catholicism and most posters on here think its funny or a wind up  Undecided. 20 years ago his views would have been mainstream. What's happening? I get the impression that most posters on here represent a certain part of Irish society who think the majority of rural Irish people are backward and old fashioned. Young people should be encouraged to get involved with the church and in Parish life outside the GAA club. He could be doing a whole worse. They way some of you carry on it's like school yard bullying only on the internet.

To be honest I wasn't really thinking about people laughing at the saints or church when I made my comments, I was thinking what the f**k is so funny about the opening post.  It never crossed my mind that people were simply laughing at the saints, how immature do you need to be?  Do they same people roar and laugh when they see newspaper articles on what saint's day it is?   ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 26, 2007, 11:50:18 AM
Do they same people roar and laugh when they see newspaper articles on what saint's day it is?   ::)

Yeah pog, course we do, doesnt everyone ::) ::)

Armagh4SamAgain

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on April 26, 2007, 08:21:21 AM
Easy to mock the Church and get a good laugh but Jaysus, don't say a word against the 'ra, your favourite political party, the GAA or whatever floats yer boat :o

Rural Ireland is still full of young, educated people going to Mass on a regular basis - maybe the cityfolk (ergo intellegentia?) have got it all wrong.
Thats rite. Im my own parish most young people go to mass every week and were all educated. Its a regilus thing but its also a good palce to meet your mates for a bit a crack b4 and after mass. Weve all being going since were kids and i hope we always will.
At this time of year we have a big procession of the blessed sacrament host all around the roads of the parish and all the young people go so they do. I wont miss it or will any of my mates.
Heres the fotos. Look how many young people are there!

Do other parishes do this?

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

neutral

Looks to be as close as Stevie Mc got to marching behind the artane Boys band in a couple of years. ;)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on April 26, 2007, 11:54:03 AM
Do they same people roar and laugh when they see newspaper articles on what saint's day it is?   ::)

And why are you laughing at this thread then?

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 26, 2007, 12:19:05 PM

Didnt know I had to explain myself to you pog

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on April 26, 2007, 12:20:50 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 26, 2007, 12:19:05 PM

Didnt know I had to explain myself to you pog

Let us in on the joke, tell us what's funny.

Aristotle Flynn

"Weve all being going since were kids and i hope we always will."

A nice comment there Armagh4SamAgain. I hope so too.

Processions of this type were common all over Ireland from the end of Penal times up until fairly recently. They mostly stopped in the North when the Troubles broke out in the late 60s for fear of attack from Unionist mobs. Great to see the old tradition being carried on in rural Armagh.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

full back

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on April 25, 2007, 01:24:15 PM
Everyday used to be no on as a feast day for sum st in Ireland but there never mentioned anymore. i think ity woud be good to remind ppl abiout them.

Today is the feast of st Mark. He is called st Mark the evanilist because he rote the gostel according to Mark. He was really called John but it was confusin havin so many johns about so the used hios Roman name Mark instead.
He was dragged around by the Egyptians with a rope around his neck and kilt. This was after he rote the holy gospel so it was. They tried to burn him but his body wodn't burn so the catholic took his body and give him a proper christain burial. Then the Pope made him a saint. He is the patron saint of notaries. What are they?

Heres a link to more info about his life http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=305

We should always remember an pray for the saints like this on there feast day.. THey suffered for there faith in olden times so they did.

OK pog, it wasnt just me that found it funny, but this is my take on it - read slowly & digest all the information
Knowing A4SA's form of putting up random thread's this one was unexpected.
His spelling was quite funny as well.
And finally his take on Mark/John's treatment & the way he explained it.
Apologies if you didnt find it funny - in future I will drop you a pm and find out if I can laugh at something

*Edit*
Like Lecale, nothing at all to do with the treatment of the Saint in question

Bogball XV

Initially I didn't know what to make of this all - now, I'm convinced that A4S is definitely an alter-ego.

Lecale2

Maybe I shouldn't laugh but when I read the post above i nearly pi**ed myself.

I can't really explain to you why it's funny but it made me laugh out loud. I'm not laughing at the death of a Christian martyr just the way it was put.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 26, 2007, 12:32:48 PM
Initially I didn't know what to make of this all - now, I'm convinced that A4S is definitely an alter-ego.

As I say, whatever floats your boat - some people just love a wee bit of ego-massaging, errr, so they do. Mabe I should off throwen inn a fews speling mis-takes just to make me luke like a wee county yookle  fram ar-ma, so i must.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

ONeill

I can see clearly now...I couldn't understand why some took issue with this...now the above post makes obvious....the Armaghites think someone's taking a hand out of them...sensitive souls! (although in pog's case the fact that he hasn't had his end away yet is a contributory factor)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

The championship nears and there's matches to be played - if I have to turn back to praying to ensure we beat yous, errr, after Donegal, and presuming you get to the semis, then, yeah, I don't want to go around mocking the church.

Teach your children well, ONeill.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

down22

Absolutely priceless! ;D

It provides a great little break from the revision. Keep up the good work!