What would you do to attract 30k people to Croke park on Sat Aug 1st.

Started by joemamas, July 21, 2015, 12:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: joemamas on July 21, 2015, 01:28:41 PM
Maybe a 10k or 15k attendance may embarrass the idiots who broke up the Q/Final August bank Holiday football feast, I mean the latter point genuinely. This load of nonsense that it was to allow for smoother fixture flow, also does not cut it, as Cork are still out a week after losing Munster final replay.  Somebody with a pair in Croke Park, should direct the provincials to have their respective completed by complete by third Sunday in July.

Whatever about the venue at the weekend, I think the 7 days after a replay is difficult to address, if replays are allowed. It isn't desireable to have all provincial finals on the same day, even in this forum. You could create huge gaps, but this could means that the winning provincial team would have a 5 week wait for a game and that's not ideal either.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Redhand Santa

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 21, 2015, 08:41:35 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 21, 2015, 08:19:55 AM
Donegal have good support, as have Tyrone I think. Galway will begin to muster up some more now too... I don't know about Sligo. I'd have gone to Brewster to cheer them on though. You never know, there might be more there than you think. Or am I being ridiculously naive?

People in Donegal are very unhappy with this & rightly so.

We want to go to a game that's an occasion with atmosphere & there will be none in Croke Park with 30,000.

For my own part I'm having nothing to do with it.

Most gaa "fans" find reasons not to go to support their county after they get beat. The venue is always a good solid excuse not to go. If Donegal took as many fans as they did to the ulster final and they were all seated together in Croke park there'd be a good atmosphere for that game.

Bingo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 21, 2015, 02:28:13 PM
Donegal have good support, as have Tyrone I think. Galway will begin to muster up some more now too... I don't know about Sligo. I'd have gone to Brewster to cheer them on though. You never know, there might be more there than you think. Or am I being ridiculously naive?

We want to go to a game that's an occasion with atmosphere & there will be none in Croke Park with 30,000.

Most gaa "fans" find reasons not to go to support their county after they get beat. The venue is always a good solid excuse not to go. If Donegal took as many fans as they did to the ulster final and they were all seated together in Croke park there'd be a good atmosphere for that game.

I'd agree with this. While its obvious and reasonable to say more suitable venues could have been found, a lot of GAA supporters will find a reason not to travel after a defeat. I remember one of the Monaghan games in Clones in the qualifiers when about 1,000 monaghan supporters turned up in a crowd of 10,000 V Armagh. Monaghan probably had 10,000 in Belfast V Down a week previous. One of the players told me it was soul destroying running out on the field that day, when they needed a lift they got kicked down. Always stayed with me him talking about it like that. The average GAA supporter love a big day out.

giveballaghback

In fairness to supporters Donegal v Galway should be in Castlebar, I for one would travel and I am sure many more neutrals would travel, Galway have hurling this Sunday, its just two much to ask supporters, if Sligo v Tyrone was in Carrick on Shannon a reasonable crowd would travel. Croke park will be empty, 20000 at most, just not good enough.

Maguire01

I'd argue that there are valid reasons for many Donegal fans to miss this game. Dublin is 2 hours further south of Clones. That's a massive journey if you have children, adds significant fuel costs, and possibly the cost of an overnight stay.

Beantown

When Tyrone and Armagh were the big dogs on the block and bringing 50-60,000 to croker for an ulster final, the point was raised regarding bringing a few ulster finals to Croker in the following years. The gaa said no because it takes at least 35,000 through the turn styles to make opening Croker viable. Yet all Dublins league games are there ( not attracting that crowd)and these hollow atmosphere qualifiers staged there also. Why not fill Breffni, Brewster, the Mark etc and get an atmosphere going.. Let the kids in free and get back to supporters travelling in big numbers again.  I will be in Croker because I rarely miss and we don't get too many games there these days but I would like the atmosphere generated by a near full house in a smaller ground. But sure what do I know.......

rodney trotter

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 21, 2015, 09:34:25 PM

I'd argue that there are valid reasons for many Donegal fans to miss this game. Dublin is 2 hours further south of Clones. That's a massive journey if you have children, adds significant fuel costs, and possibly the cost of an overnight stay.

You're right. Donegal have played plenty of times in Croke Park in the last 5 years, League and Championship, that doesn't come cheap for their fans,

Redhand Santa

People often talk about these extra costs of playing in croke park but what exactly are they? I know it's a bit extra compared to castlebar so there will be some extra fuel costs. Though for a lot of Donegal people living in Dublin they'll save on this. But other than fuel what is the extras? No one is forcing families to go for 3 course meals in Dublin.

If you were concerned about bringing children surely you'd be happy paying 5 euro for a seat with a great view rather than having them struggle to see on a terrace?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 21, 2015, 10:44:49 PM
People often talk about these extra costs of playing in croke park but what exactly are they? I know it's a bit extra compared to castlebar so there will be some extra fuel costs. Though for a lot of Donegal people living in Dublin they'll save on this. But other than fuel what is the extras? No one is forcing families to go for 3 course meals in Dublin.

If you were concerned about bringing children surely you'd be happy paying 5 euro for a seat with a great view rather than having them struggle to see on a terrace?

It's the experience of a smaller venue. Stadium is easier fill. Atmosphere is more electric. A chance to see a rural town, check out it's pubs and diners. On top of it all, rural Ireland needs the minor economic kick it provides. Croke Park is a great venue. But is often watered down by teams getting to play there by not really winning (m)any matches and to empty seats.

moysider

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 21, 2015, 10:44:49 PM

No terraces in Castlebar pal  ;)

spirit0f91and94

Guarantee them a AI Final ticket if their county progress. Simple

ONeill

Is the style of football having an effect on attracting the more bandwagony supporter in the likes of Donegal and Tyrone?

If you think of McKenna and NFL, Tyrone would have 3000 hardcores. That correct?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: spirit0f91and94 on July 21, 2015, 11:47:40 PM
Guarantee them a AI Final ticket if their county progress. Simple

That'd be a big incentive for Sligo supporters! In fairness I don't think there could be an incentive for the bandwagon Sligo supporter. (No offence intended - we have been there)