Roscommon's next Manager

Started by Rossfan, July 20, 2015, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 08:42:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 01:54:43 PM
You're going to look a bit of a tool if Evans stays Rossfan..
A history lesson for you childeen.
Back in 2004 when you were sucking your thumb and filling nappies I pleaded with a few members of the then Co Board Executive to thank TommyTom for his efforts and get him out of the place as he and the panel had gone as far as they could. They ignored me and we saw who the tools were the following March.

Summer 2007 (as Syfín prepares for Junior Infants) after Maughtan spent countless €thousands on a Portuguese training camp after which Sligo wiped the floor with us in the 2nd half and a Kildare team at rock bottom bet us handily I again pleaded with a  couple of the Executive to thank Tanman for his efforts and send him on his way before there wasn't a € left in the County and what little football we had left was wiped out.
Again I was ignored and again we saw who the tools were the following March.

Year 3 of JE and we have little or no discernable gameplans, no defence or strategy or system to try and cope with the fact that we have few proper defenders, Championship defeats to Sligo and Fermanagh,  , daft team selections and substitutions, now blaming Gary Wynne over things even though Gary only came in to a few sessions, a few other issues I'm not putting here for those pesky Rhubarbs to start jibing.
We stuttered through a lot of the League and only for Paddy O'Rourke we'd have finished mid table which would have kept feet on the ground and we'd prepare for the Sligo game instead of blathering about winning All Irelands in a few years.
As for " Ahhh but we're in Division 1" - if you lose to BOTH Fermanagh and Sligo you have no business in Division 1.

Anyway I feel that JE is not the man to take us any further, a new voice and tactics and preparation needed if we're to progress.

John Evan has a tendency to (as my midland in-laws would say) open his mouth too wide.  I don't think he's the man for to bring Roscommon on to another level. But in fairness he has done a decent job so far to get ye to the top table. I said it earlier in the year when Roscommon were playing out of their skins in the FBD, Div 2 and the under 21's were busy also, that ye had peaked. This has taken it's tole with injuries, players losing form and loss of focus for the Championship. To do well in the competitions named ye had to. There is no shame in this, all your eggs were put in basket for the earlier part of the season. The FBD gave confidence to doing well in Div 2 and the under 21's well they do what under 21's every year try to do...go as far in that Championship as they can. Evans deserves a year, he got ye to Div 1. Ye have a tough 7 games ahead! But hey, they'll make you or break you. And maybe even break and later on make you.

If you actually saw us play in the league there is no way you'd say we were 'playing out of our skins' earlier in the year. The championship followed the same trend as the rest of the year, you just don't keep getting given second chances in knockout football.

Almost all of the major injuries happened after the Down league final and before the Sligo game, i.e. in training or in club league games. That needs to be looked at.

tippabu

Haven't read this thread but after John Evans managed us, was absolutely brilliant but it went a bit stale then. I think now the time for roscommon to change. James horn looks the ideal candidate, he's the calibre of person I would like to see taking over in tipp or jack o Connor,  sadly Horan would have too much travelling I'm sure and o Connor is committed to kerry under 21s

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 01:54:43 PM
You're going to look a bit of a tool if Evans stays Rossfan..
A history lesson for you childeen.
Back in 2004 when you were sucking your thumb and filling nappies I pleaded with a few members of the then Co Board Executive to thank TommyTom for his efforts and get him out of the place as he and the panel had gone as far as they could. They ignored me and we saw who the tools were the following March.

Summer 2007 (as Syfín prepares for Junior Infants) after Maughtan spent countless €thousands on a Portuguese training camp after which Sligo wiped the floor with us in the 2nd half and a Kildare team at rock bottom bet us handily I again pleaded with a  couple of the Executive to thank Tanman for his efforts and send him on his way before there wasn't a € left in the County and what little football we had left was wiped out.
Again I was ignored and again we saw who the tools were the following March.

Year 3 of JE and we have little or no discernable gameplans, no defence or strategy or system to try and cope with the fact that we have few proper defenders, Championship defeats to Sligo and Fermanagh,  , daft team selections and substitutions, now blaming Gary Wynne over things even though Gary only came in to a few sessions, a few other issues I'm not putting here for those pesky Rhubarbs to start jibing.
We stuttered through a lot of the League and only for Paddy O'Rourke we'd have finished mid table which would have kept feet on the ground and we'd prepare for the Sligo game instead of blathering about winning All Irelands in a few years.
As for " Ahhh but we're in Division 1" - if you lose to BOTH Fermanagh and Sligo you have no business in Division 1.

Anyway I feel that JE is not the man to take us any further, a new voice and tactics and preparation needed if we're to progress.

None of my business I know Rossfan, but did you offer any suggestions as to who you would want when you wanted Carr and Maughan out? Who would your preferred candidate be at this stage, taking into account the practicalities? McStay?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

If only David Casey had a year or two as U21 manager under his belt.....
Back in 07 I told them to go after Fergal O'D.... They did 14 months later. ;)
I don't know if McStay would want the hassle as he has a handy little number with RTÉ at present.
Can't recall who was in the frame in 2004.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: tippabu on July 20, 2015, 09:50:48 PM
Haven't read this thread but after John Evans managed us, was absolutely brilliant but it went a bit stale then. I think now the time for roscommon to change. James horn looks the ideal candidate, he's the calibre of person I would like to see taking over in tipp or jack o Connor,  sadly Horan would have too much travelling I'm sure and o Connor is committed to kerry under 21s

Remember the quality Horan had in Mayo. It was just that Johnno had disguised it so well.

I don t think he would have the same quality in Ros. It has been well hawked and hyped up already. I don t know enough of Tipp but they look like they need to play at a higher level to come on more.

Stephen Rochford is an obvious one. But take the wrong job and you re career as a manager will end fairly quickly. The expectations in Roscommon are massive but winning a Connacht title in the short/medium term will be a big task, no matter who manager is.

It ll also be interesting to see how Damien Mulligan gets on in management.

Farrandeelin

Fair enough Rossfan, it's just that (as you know well) people often complain about problems and don't have any suggestions themselves.

moysider

Was John Tobin manager in 2001?

Rudi

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 10:15:43 PM

Yes, the Derry hotel incident pretty much ended his interest. That bell boy did so much damage to our county :'(, the guy that spilled the beans about the harmless antics in the hotel that is

Put Up That Flag

And here was me thinking the Rossies used lose the run of themselves but it seems to have spread into Mayo as well, ye are putting far too much emphasis on yesterday's game,  do ye not realise how hopeless Sligo were, 4 or 5 of that team got a serious tanking at under 21 this year including the full back and both midfielders,  ye are in for a serious shock when ye meet a decent team and it will be another year gone in yere quest for Sam.

Farrandeelin

Yes PUTF we know well that any half decent team will probably beat us. Especially if our full back line isn't sorted out. Which 
I don't think it will.

moysider

Quote from: Rudi on July 20, 2015, 10:55:30 PM

Yes, the Derry hotel incident pretty much ended his interest. That bell boy did so much damage to our county :'(, the guy that spilled the beans about the harmless antics in the hotel that is

:o :o :o  My God! What did they do to the bell boy in a hotel? Sheeesh.

moysider

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on July 20, 2015, 11:02:28 PM
And here was me thinking the Rossies used lose the run of themselves but it seems to have spread into Mayo as well, ye are putting far too much emphasis on yesterday's game,  do ye not realise how hopeless Sligo were, 4 or 5 of that team got a serious tanking at under 21 this year including the full back and both midfielders,  ye are in for a serious shock when ye meet a decent team and it will be another year gone in yere quest for Sam.

No we re not we just enjoyed a game of football. You haven t a clue what emphasis I, for one, put on that game anyway. Yesterday's game and how we see it has no bearing on what happens next anyway. That should be obvious to anybody.

Anyway seeing ye all know how useless Sligo are I m sure ye took advantage of the occasion to make some easy money from the bookies. Easy money for everybody that saw that coming. How much did you make Flag?

manfromdelmonte

Didn't a load of the Ros players later get apologies and financial settlements from that newspaper?

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2015, 11:29:25 PM

Didn't a load of the Ros players later get apologies and financial settlements from that newspaper?

Something like that.

In fairness they were a mad bunch regardless. Could play a bit of ball when they caught the fancy too.

Rossfan

John Tobin got a coaching job with the Connacht Council in 02 and the we got TomTommy.
I wonder would Paul Early be in the frame........assuming a vacancy occurs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM