galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 19, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

I think that is correct, unless the county board is willing to take a hit with the fine, both Galway and Mayo got fined for the late release of the starting 15 before the Connacht S-F.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 29, 2015, 02:46:43 PM
I think that is correct, unless the county board is willing to take a hit with the fine, both Galway and Mayo got fined for the late release of the starting 15 before the Connacht S-F.

So it should be today?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

An Fhairche Abu

I looked this up as I'm getting confused myself, this is the motion that was passed at congress:

Motion 29: This proposes a new rule, whereby, for senior inter-county championship games, a panel of 26 players (team plus subs) be registered no later than 9am on the Thursday before a weekend game. The penalty for breaking the rule is the withdrawal of sideline privileges for the manager and/or a €1000 fine. No players may be added to the registered team or panel after it has been submitted (with the exception of a goalkeeper or sub-goalkeeper) and the penalty for breaking this rule is forfeiture of the game. On the day of the match itself, a prescribed team list (as issued by the Committee-in-Charge from time to time), confirming the 15 starting players and maximum 11 additional panel members, shall be submitted to the referee not later than 20 minutes before the official starting time. A fine of €1000 will be issued for every minute after the prescribed time.

They actually don't have to publish the team to the public at all before the match, just ensure that it's registered with the GAA before 9am on the Thursday.
Galway usually send the team out the Thursday night so it'll be the same this time around I expect.

Boycey

As per Tyrone thread

Have 2 premium level tickets for Sat evening. Anyone from Donegal coming through Castleblayney on Sat can have them for price of two stand tickets if interested. Thanks

Duine Eile

Galway team named, one change from the team that started against Derry-Adrian Varley replaces Peadar Óg Ó Griofa at corner forward.

Brian Donoghue
Johnny Duane
Finian Hanley
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Liam Silke
Fiontáin Ó Curraoin
Tom Flynn
Gary Sice
Paul Conroy
Micheál Lundy
Adrian Varley
Damien Comer
Danny Cummins

galwayman

Strange enough decision to include Varley.
He is not a guy who scores too much.

From the Bunker

Of the last 12 games this is the most interesting one! Donegal seem to be on the 2013 path again. They are a team that only the front door suits. If Galway are hungry enough from the beginning they will have a chance. It all about planting doubt early. A victory for Galway would no doubt bring on the confidence of this Galway side and they would surely fancy their chances against Monaghan(?).

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2015, 09:27:13 PM
Of the last 12 games this is the most interesting one! Donegal seem to be on the 2013 path again. They are a team that only the front door suits. If Galway are hungry enough from the beginning they will have a chance. It all about planting doubt early. A victory for Galway would no doubt bring on the confidence of this Galway side and they would surely fancy their chances against Monaghan(?).

If Sligo beat Tyrone Galway would get Mayo.

Farrandeelin

Hard to see that happening though Syf I'm afraid.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2015, 10:18:21 PM

It would be the first game in Croker between the two since the league final 2001.

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2015, 01:44:31 AM

It would be the first game in Croker between the two since the league final 2001.

Think we beat them in Croker in a league semi final since then.
Yep, in 2007. Thanks to WJs great archive - http://mayogaablog.com//?p=61
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2015, 06:31:21 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2015, 01:44:31 AM

Think we beat them in Croker in a league semi final since then.
Yep, in 2007. Thanks to WJs great archive - http://mayogaablog.com//?p=61

Has he blacked out every reference to games played at the Hyde yet or is that more of an off-season job?

Goin Down

Three Connacht teams in Quarter Finals in Croke Park on the one day.... what dreams are made of  ::)
Remember This.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway absolutely need a have a good start to the game tomorrow, were Donegal start to really well and get on top early then it'll be a long day for both the Galway players and supporters. Aidan O'Shea torched Hanley in the Connacht semi-final and if Murphy (even injured) is deployed in the same role tomorrow for Donegal I would fear for the rack and ruin that might be caused in the Galway full back line.
To win Galway will have to get at least one goal (probably two) without conceding one. If behind during the match will probably have to stay within a point or two deficit because if Donegal get into a 3 points or more lead at any stage in the second half it's as good as over against that Donegal system.
The highest score that Donegal have conceded in the championship this year is the 1-10 that Tyrone got. Assuming that Galway can match this total or even get 14-15 points tomorrow is it likely that we'll hold Donegal to less than that? Some of the wides that Donegal hit in the Ulster final were very poor, yet they were only a point off in the finish. I'd be loath to write them off on that basis, certainly going into a match against a Division Two team.

In mitigation against Donegal, Lacey is out, Murphy is definitely carrying an injury which is really curtailing his influence in general play, they were obviously absolutely deflated at losing the Ulster final, and not just for the loss of that title but more so for the loss of the easier path to the All-Ireland final.
The Donegal players are now likely looking at having to beat Galway, Mayo (just a week after tomorrow), Dublin and Kerry to win the All Ireland. They should beat us but are they going to beat all of the other teams besides themselves in the assumed top four teams in the country in a row? I personally don't think they have a notion of doing it; surely deep down the Donegal players themselves can't be confident of coming through that potential schedule having already played Tyrone, Armagh, Derry and Monaghan to this point.
For any chance of a shock to happen Galway have to start well, stay right in touch or stay ahead if at all possible, then there is always the slim chance that Donegal might wilt a bit in the second half if it's not going well for them knowing the task to get to the All-Ireland ahead, they collapsed altogether as champs in 2013 against Mayo although obviously that Mayo team was superior to this current Galway outfit.

In terms of long term form, experience, physicality and the players available at each counties disposal then Donegal should win this match tomorrow by all rights. At the end of the day though, Galway are moving in the right direction and have definitely improved this year, we will hopefully have a right cut at it and see what happens, nothing at all to lose really as we are not going to win an All-Ireland this year, the pressure is all on Donegal to come through, outside of Kerry every team has a natural cycle, Donegal are 4 years at the top end of proceedings now and it's a valid question to ask how many more shots at Sam is this current Donegal panel going to have at this stage.

There are a lot of ifs involved for Galway to shock Donegal and come out the right side of it tomorrow, we'll have to perform to a level not seen previously seen out of this group of players and hope that Donegal are not up to their potential on the day, there's too many ifs really for Galway to see an upset in the making I think and it's likely Donegal will win by around 5 points, although I hope that winner prediction is totally wrong naturally!

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 31, 2015, 11:48:01 AM

There are a lot of ifs involved for Galway to shock Donegal and come out the right side of it tomorrow, we'll have to perform to a level not seen previously seen out of this group of players and hope that Donegal are not up to their potential on the day, there's too many ifs really for Galway to see an upset in the making I think and it's likely Donegal will win by around 5 points, although I hope that winner prediction is totally wrong naturally!

Lot of 'ifs' alright, but in the football kingdom, Kerry and Dublin are Galway's only natural enemies. We believe (maybe with misplaced arrogance!) that we can beat all other teams, given that we have a fairly good team ourselves, and don't really fear nothern counties anyway, even though we're often beaten by them. Varley's inclusion raised eyebrows, perhaps he will be used to track back, with Lundy deployed in a more-attacking role.

It would be no surprise to me if we win, which worries me in itself!, but a double on Galway/Kildare + handicap could be a nice little earner.