Tyrone v Sligo Sat 1st August 2015 Croke Park - 13 years on

Started by Fuzzman, July 19, 2015, 03:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2015, 12:27:47 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 28, 2015, 09:02:35 AM
I'm usually always very optimistic about Tyrones chances of winning games in the build up to the match and try to concentrate on reasons why we should win the game rather than lose it. But as this game gets closer I'm getting a growing feeling of dread. This is more likely due to the 2002 experience but I can't help my mind wandering to reasons why/how we could lose this. Eg. Are we as good as we looked vTipp? Or were they just awful? Is the Limerick and Meath games a closer barometer to where we are at? Can Sligo really be as nieve again? They have a decent manager, surely he won't make the same mistakes again? Sligo have a lot of energy in midfield, they don't win aerial battles but are effective, will this trouble us as we often don't win midfield either? They have decent forwards who, on their day, can do damage. Our forwards have potential but can blow hot and cold, what if we are blowing cold on Saturday? Sligo coming into this game, on the back of a big defeat, have nothing really to lose whereas expectation in Tyrone is slowly beginning to rise - not a good combination of scenarios. No disrespect to Sligo, but what if we take them a bit too lightly (maybe like 2002) and we find ourselves in a dogfight that we can't win.

Make no mistake, this is a potential banana skin for Tyrone, I'd feel much happier if we were wearing red shorts!

Also feeling 'the fear'. So much talk about the quarters and Monaghan. It's like 2002 all over again.

Don't panic - Tyrone are 10 points better than Sligo

LeoMc

Quote from: WT4E on July 28, 2015, 12:40:49 PM
I'm usually always very optimistic about Tyrones chances of winning games in the build up to the match and try to concentrate on reasons why we should win the game rather than lose it. But as this game gets closer I'm getting a growing feeling of dread. This is more likely due to the 2002 experience but I can't help my mind wandering to reasons why/how we could lose this. Eg. Are we as good as we looked vTipp? Or were they just awful? Is the Limerick and Meath games a closer barometer to where we are at? Can Sligo really be as nieve again? They have a decent manager, surely he won't make the same mistakes again? Sligo have a lot of energy in midfield, they don't win aerial battles but are effective, will this trouble us as we often don't win midfield either? They have decent forwards who, on their day, can do damage. Our forwards have potential but can blow hot and cold, what if we are blowing cold on Saturday? Sligo coming into this game, on the back of a big defeat, have nothing really to lose whereas expectation in Tyrone is slowly beginning to rise - not a good combination of scenarios. No disrespect to Sligo, but what if we take them a bit too lightly (maybe like 2002) and we find ourselves in a dogfight that we can't win.

Make no mistake, this is a potential banana skin for Tyrone, I'd feel much happier if we were wearing red shorts!

Also feeling 'the fear'. So much talk about the quarters and Monaghan. It's like 2002 all over again.

Is that in red shorts?
How much better are we in all white?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hereiam on July 28, 2015, 11:25:54 AM
Can you pay in on the day. Was gona take the young cub with me.

Yes, it won't be all-ticket.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

macdanger2

Yeah, would it be fair to say Tyrone aren't massively strong at MF? That (and the absence of a plan for the FB line) is where Sligo lost it against Mayo.

Man for man, their backs are decent and their FF line is strong. Hard to know if getting hammered in the Hyde will affect them but if they play to their potential, they won't be far off from Tyrone IMO

WT4E

Quote from: LeoMc on July 28, 2015, 12:44:05 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 28, 2015, 12:40:49 PM

Is that in red shorts?
How much better are we in all white?

You haven't been following very well - Tyrone will be wearing white shorts on Saturday. We haven't wore red with the white jersey since 2012.

Fuzzman

Yes in croker you get juvenile tickets for €5. Is it the same everywhere?

I think Sligo will not have come up against a team who play the blanket defence as well as we do
I mean yes we could play the reverse psychology game or cute hoorism to lower expectation but in all fairness Tipperary, Meath and Limerick all found it VERY hard to break us down at the back and create many scoring chances.
I think its fair to see Tipp are a lot better than Sligo as they showed how well they beat Louth if allowed to play open football.

Sligo are a long way of that 2002 team and we are a lot more experienced 13 years later on how to win games and defend properly.
I think Sligo will be hell bent on not letting us get an early lead but if we can approach the game like we did so professionally v Tipp and show them enough respect to snuff out their early fight then I would expect the 2nd half to be very one sided. Who knows of course. We could get a few men sent off and really struggle but I'll be disappointed if we don't win by 10 or more. Seriously.

CD

Sligo are a poorer team than Meath, Limerick and Tipperary in my opinion and have just received An absolute hammering. Tyrone meanwhile are getting stronger by the game. I don't see an upset in this one. Galway V Donegal is harder to call. Going to bring my eldest youngster to Croker for the first time too. I'm assuming we can pay at the ground??
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ballinaman

Quote from: CD on July 28, 2015, 06:58:59 PM
Sligo are a poorer team than Meath, Limerick and Tipperary in my opinion and have just received An absolute hammering. Tyrone meanwhile are getting stronger by the game. I don't see an upset in this one. Galway V Donegal is harder to call. Going to bring my eldest youngster to Croker for the first time too. I'm assuming we can pay at the ground??
Ticket office on Dorset street by the red parrott pub or another office opposite gills pub. Can't pay by cash on the gate...

Beantown

Quote from: Bensars on July 27, 2015, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 27, 2015, 06:38:05 PM
Quote from: DermyTDredi on July 27, 2015, 06:26:03 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 27, 2015, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: ck on July 27, 2015, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 27, 2015, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2015, 12:52:09 PM
I always loved the red shorts with the white tops but I just think we look a bit weak or pale in the all white.
Who makes this decisions?
Of course there are so many other factors
http://m.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/a-570918.html

I don't know how true it is but I heard somewhere that they paid someone to tell them that an all white strip was better for some reason stupid like cause it was all white that opponents found it more difficult to tackle them?? lol

You being serious?!

I'm deadly serious - Maybe someone with some inside information can tel us about when and why Tyrone started wearing a non traditional all white strip?

you may well be deadly serious but you're wrong!

I knew there was a good chance that I was wrong but I am interested if anyone knows why Tyrone changed to an all white kit all of a sudden - you seem to be fairly confident that I'm wrong so can you let us know why they did? Cheers!

Tyrone were
I always loved the red shorts with the white tops but I just think we look a bit weak or pale in the all white.

I don't know how true it is but I heard somewhere that they paid someone to tell them that an all white strip was better for some reason stupid like cause it was all white that opponents found it more difficult to tackle them?? lol

You being serious?!

I'm deadly serious - Maybe someone with some inside information can tel us about when and why Tyrone started wearing a non traditional all white strip?

I knew there was a good chance that I was wrong but I am interested if anyone knows why Tyrone changed to an all white kit all of a sudden - you seem to be fairly confident that I'm wrong so can you let us know why they did? Cheers!

You being serious?!

Yer ole hole !

Tyrone were wearing white jersey and shorts in 70s and 80s.

Remember 84 in particular nice white shorts with the three red stripes before they changed to the shiney camel toe ones in 86

84 was red shorts!! Check out you tube if you want

rrhf

Would ye quit going on about your favourite shorts lads!
Heard a rumour that Sligo have regrouped well and are training like demons for this.  Nothing to lose and lots to gain can be a powerful mix.  Expect a tough game. 

Syferus

Quote from: rrhf on July 28, 2015, 09:07:29 PM
Heard a rumour that Sligo have regrouped well and are training like demons for this.  Nothing to lose and lots to gain can be a powerful mix.  Expect a tough game.

I wonder what team let's it out they're mentally shattered and are fûcked for the next match..

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: rrhf on July 28, 2015, 09:07:29 PM

I wonder what team let's it out they're mentally shattered and are fûcked for the next match..

The Kerry camp usually start them sorta rumours.

sligoman

I'd be hoping to see a few changes from the last day, not sure we have too many better options at the back sadly though and will probably need to keep McDonnell in there if Cavanagh is in the full forward line.

I'd start Gilmartin in midfield and move Hughes out there too, the two young lads have done well there but they're not natural midfielders and lack presence there.

Devaney
Donovan McDonnell Maye
Cawley Egan Flanagan
Gilmartin Murphy Hughes
Breheny Breheny Ewing
Marren Kelly

Not expecting much but hope the lads can put in a spirited performance and salvage a bit of pride after the last day, it wasn't pretty and we've a lot of guys like Egan, Donovan, Breheny, Kelly and Marren who have been around around for a while now and given a lot who didn't really deserve that humiliation.

Bensars

84 was a longer year than just the ulster final!
Also check out the photos thread on the Tyrone page. All white kit in 70s,

Point being it's not a new strategic decision a was suggested earlier in thread

BennyHarp

Quote from: Bensars on July 28, 2015, 11:58:11 PM
84 was a longer year than just the ulster final!
Also check out the photos thread on the Tyrone page. All white kit in 70s,

Point being it's not a new strategic decision a was suggested earlier in thread

So why did we go to red shorts in the first place then?
That was never a square ball!!