Divers (and face holders)

Started by smelmoth, July 19, 2015, 03:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue in hope

There is a penalty for diving and injury feigning, but it's not severe enough (yellow card) and its severity is irrelevant anyway because referees, true to form, are not implementing it. Deegan on Saturday decided that Shileds was feigning injury because he motioned to him to get up, gave no free and took no action against Geaney(?). Why then did he not follow the rule and card Shields?

I've NEVER see the rule applied. That's farcical and indicates that the powers that be don't recognise this carry-on as a problem. I assume, as usual, it will only become a matter of concern if/when the Sunday Game decides so. So over to you Colm, Joe, et al.

People are correctly giving out about Shiels on Saturday night but what about Geaney? If he hadn't of shouldered him he couldn't have done what he did? Mc Stay went on and on about poor discipline of Derry on Saturday against Galway but I felt Kerry's discipline was worse on Saturday and they got away with it. The Geaney incident with Shiels the Geaney sledging after the goal and what about Sheahan s elbow of the ball against the Cork Sub. Fitzmorris made a quick sub to get him off it worked for him but not for Cavan with Corr being called back on to be sent off. Will the CCC revisit that incident as it was not dealt with by the ref?

JoG2

Quote from: smelmoth on July 19, 2015, 03:54:14 PM
Brolly called out JO'D in the first Kerry v Cork match for going to ground holding his face. More pundits should do this. Shields was an embarrassment last night. They should be held out for ridicule by the pundits on the live show and on TSG. Them McHugh boys would crop up a time or two making their aul fella a bit uncomfortable. How many McHugh's are there? On a windy day in Kilcar the streets must we strewn with McHughs who felt a a slight touch.

The game doesn't need this shyte. Embarrass the bejaysus out of them and they will soon quit.

Comedy gold! 

Agreed

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

OgraAnDun

Enda Lynn. No more needs be said.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on July 20, 2015, 08:58:29 AM
There is a penalty for diving and injury feigning, but it's not severe enough (yellow card) and its severity is irrelevant anyway because referees, true to form, are not implementing it. Deegan on Saturday decided that Shileds was feigning injury because he motioned to him to get up, gave no free and took no action against Geaney(?). Why then did he not follow the rule and card Shields?

I've NEVER see the rule applied. That's farcical and indicates that the powers that be don't recognise this carry-on as a problem. I assume, as usual, it will only become a matter of concern if/when the Sunday Game decides so. So over to you Colm, Joe, et al.
Afics, Deegan wasn't sure what happened to Shields but could see he wasn't that hurt. He would have to have seen the incident in order to award a free, or on the other hand  to be sure  that Shields was feigning injury.
In Shields' case he was 100% feigning get struck and being hurt, in order to get an opposition player red carded.

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 20, 2015, 09:06:33 AM
Add Dick Clerkin to that list and Lundy.
Dick was fouled and  one that easily passed the generous standards of what Coldrick considered to be a foul in that game.
He definitely exaggerated the effect to waste time, not to get a player carded, neither was it an attempt to get a pointable free kick.
Dick's theatrics  in added time, were a minor offence in the scheme of things.

Zulu

Quote from: Main Street on July 20, 2015, 06:54:27 PM

Afics, Deegan wasn't sure what happened to Shields but could see he wasn't that hurt. He would have to have seen the incident in order to award a free, or on the other hand  to be sure  that Shields was feigning injury.
In Shields' case he was 100% feigning get struck and being hurt, in order to get an opposition player red carded.

Dick was fouled and  one that easily passed the generous standards of what Coldrick considered to be a foul in that game.
He definitely exaggerated the effect to waste time, not to get a player carded, neither was it an attempt to get a pointable free kick.

There is no doubt in the world he was doing exactly that! Clerkin dived to win a score-able free and bringing Beggan up was to waste time. It happened close to me and there was no way Clerkin didn't dive.

imtommygunn

He did exactly the same against fermanagh too!

Main Street

Quote from: Zulu on July 20, 2015, 07:47:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 20, 2015, 06:54:27 PM

There is no doubt in the world he was doing exactly that! Clerkin dived to win a score-able free and bringing Beggan up was to waste time. It happened close to me and there was no way Clerkin didn't dive.
Hop off your high horse laddy.
The pertinent point is that Dick was fouled first,  by the standards Coldrick had already set in the game with giving soft frees aplenty previous, then Dick dived and milked the foul to waste time. Very normal cynical stuff in added time and nothing to compare with the dastardly Shields feigning being struck in order to get a player sent off.
And scorable free my árse.

Zulu

Stop acting a clown laddy. He did dive to win a score-able free, McManus would have pointed it but maybe I've more faith in your footballers ability than you do.

Main Street

Quote from: Zulu on July 20, 2015, 11:12:00 PM
Stop acting a clown laddy. He did dive to win a score-able free, McManus would have pointed it but maybe I've more faith in your footballers ability than you do.
That was a foul according to Coldrick,  Coldrick was looking straight at it,  had the best view in the park and it was a foul according to the fouls he had been giving all day for an upraised arm at throat level that the attacker just runs into, same as the fouls that Donegal had been awarded in scorable positions.
That Dick dived after the foul and milked it, is a matter of record.
You do get the difference between that and Shields' feigning being struck to get a player red carded? Is that bit understood? You do get the differential scale of offences?

Perhaps Zulu you are alone in the GAA world if you think a high pressure kick, in added time, from 43m out, along the right sideline, with the breeze going from right to left, in an Ulster final  which is going to the wire, is scorable? perhaps  you are off your rocker, I don't know?  Perhaps you also thought Maurice Fitz's last minute sideline kick in Thurles was also scorable? ;D  It is the very rare exception that such a sideline kick, in those circumstance, is scored.

McManus had taken two frees from the left side and missed the more difficult one from the sideline about 30m out, and  he's not first choice to take them from the right side, Kieran Hughes perhaps, but scorable? Monaghan use to  miss most every 45m before Beggan came along, so he's the first choice from that far out.
And despite his quad injury he was probably twice as fast as Cluxton.
Every team in the country, every player in the country, would run down the clock in added time in those circumstances, to suggest anything else is rank hypocrisy, it's up to the ref to deal with it, it's no big deal for the ref to add on another minute, is it?

manfromdelmonte

What I hate is a player landing in with the knees on a player on the ground, trying to get up or bent over.

That should be a straight red.
Refs seem to ignore it.

Zulu

QuoteThat was a foul according to Coldrick,  Coldrick was looking straight at it,  had the best view in the park and it was a foul according to the fouls he had been giving all day for an upraised arm at throat level that the attacker just runs into, same as the fouls that Donegal had been awarded in scorable positions.
That Dick dived after the foul and milked it, is a matter of record.
You do get the difference between that and Shields' feigning being struck to get a player red carded? Is that bit understood? You do get the differential scale of offences?

Is there a reason you're posting drivel or are you just bored? I never mentioned anything about whether it was an illegal tackle or whether Donegal got similar frees. What Shields embarrassing shite has to do with what I've posted is a mystery as I never compared the two at any point.

QuotePerhaps Zulu you are alone in the GAA world if you think a high pressure kick, in added time, from 43m out, along the right sideline, with the breeze going from right to left, in an Ulster final  which is going to the wire, is scorable? perhaps  you are off your rocker, I don't know?  Perhaps you also thought Maurice Fitz's last minute sideline kick in Thurles was also scorable? ;D  It is the very rare exception that such a sideline kick, in those circumstance, is scored.

You do understand what the phrase score-able means, right?? It seems you don't so here's a clue, it's a free that could be scored, i.e it is not impossible. At inter county level that was a a score-able free, not a gimme but certainly score-able. If Beggan had put it over I don't think people's jaws would have hit the floor.

QuoteEvery team in the country, every player in the country, would run down the clock in added time in those circumstances, to suggest anything else is rank hypocrisy, it's up to the ref to deal with it, it's no big deal for the ref to add on another minute, is it?

You're an odd little man aren't you? Again, where in anything I've posted have I disputed that??

Let me clarify this for you as your obviously struggling.

My post was that Clerkin dived to get a score-able free and to waste time. The tackle may or may not have resulted in a free without the theatrics but Clerkin looked to ensure a free was awarded. He did this primarily to waste time but also because a free taker could have a shot at the posts. Now, if you want to discuss that please respond but if you're only going to shite talk about Shields, the ref, other teams and, good Christ, Maurice Fitz please don't bother as I haven't the time to engage in an argument that only exists in your tiny mind.

DennistheMenace

As a netural at the game, Dick dived and the contact wasn't enough to go down as he did. On top of that he exaggerated the extent of his injury to waste time. Happens all the time but just pointing it out. I have no bias whatsoever.

JoG2

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 21, 2015, 11:47:06 AM
As a netural at the game, Dick dived and the contact wasn't enough to go down as he did. On top of that he exaggerated the extent of his injury to waste time. Happens all the time but just pointing it out. I have no bias whatsoever.

Donegal done the same twice in the last 10 mins of the Ulster semi in Clones.  It's part of the craic.  That's one of the main reasons the clock should be stopped for injuries a la rugby union

Gael85

Quote from: Blue in hope on July 20, 2015, 09:40:17 AM

People are correctly giving out about Shiels on Saturday night but what about Geaney? If he hadn't of shouldered him he couldn't have done what he did? Mc Stay went on and on about poor discipline of Derry on Saturday against Galway but I felt Kerry's discipline was worse on Saturday and they got away with it. The Geaney incident with Shiels the Geaney sledging after the goal and what about Sheahan s elbow of the ball against the Cork Sub. Fitzmorris made a quick sub to get him off it worked for him but not for Cavan with Corr being called back on to be sent off. Will the CCC revisit that incident as it was not dealt with by the ref?

Not surprised TSG didn't highlight Sheehan elbow. If was a Cavan/Fermanagh player it would be shown.Suppose there afraid to upset the big guns