The Irish Pub

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2015, 08:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Superb documentary from RTE. How many have you been in lads and any stories from them. From all those on show I'd say I have been in 8 of them.
http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/search/?q=The%20Irish%20Pub

A few yarns to follow.

EDIT.

Sorry lads...just checked....its not available in my region....ie Norn Iron. Let me know if you can watch it.
The Aristocrat Years

gerrykeegan

I thought it was excellent. Have only been in 3 of then but I plan to change that. Your man in Dingle was gas. I said to the wife I could sit listening to that lad for the day.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

moysider

Saw it. Think I ve been only in one of them. Leonards in Lahardane. Great pub.

Enjoyed the programme and it is already a social history really. Pub culture is a thing of the past where I come from anyway. The most traditional pub in my local town (one on a par with those featured in the programme) shut down.

Tony Baloney

Syferus

It was released on DVD a while ago, got it for the father for last Christmas. The lad in Cavan was some character. Loved the Four Roads' publican trying to keep everything serious while his child was interjecting every two seconds.

Asal Mor

leaveherinsir

Watched that last night. Funny i was thinkin how different the culture of a stout (or 2) a yarn, a song, family connections etc differ so vastly from the scenes of "culture" emanating from the news broadcast before.
Havnt been in any of those pubs but as the oul boy said at the end it would be some holiday touring them all.

"There hasnt been a shite stolen outta that toilet yet" - Great line

whitey

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2015, 09:16:18 PM

Enjoyed the programme and it is already a social history really. Pub culture is a thing of the past where I come from anyway. The most traditional pub in my local town (one on a par with those featured in the programme) shut down.

Lahardane Fair is one of the best days out in Ireland. You'd see types of people there that seem to have disappeared from the rest of rural Ireland 40 years ago

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: whitey on July 14, 2015, 11:47:47 PM

Lahardane Fair is one of the best days out in Ireland. You'd see types of people there that seem to have disappeared from the rest of rural Ireland 40 years ago

Great call, and even more impressive that it is usually on the same day as the Belmullet fair (August 15). Leonard's is a pub you could go into any day of the week and chat with the owner, P.

I come from the area, and got the DVD when it first came out - great watch.
Hasta la victoria siempre

5 Sams

I remember a crowd of us went into that pub in Bundoran called Brennan's..the one run by the two oul dolls. They were going to throw us out for talking too loud!!!

Curran's in Dingle is a regular haunt for me. Superb pints with the tourists on the left hand side of the bar trying to figure out what the locals, sitting at the counter, are saying.

Mary Margaret's in Hilltown is another experience especially around the time of the Boley Fair.
The Aristocrat Years

whitey

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 16, 2015, 09:14:44 AM
Quote from: whitey on July 14, 2015, 11:47:47 PM

Great call, and even more impressive that it is usually on the same day as the Belmullet fair (August 15). Leonard's is a pub you could go into any day of the week and chat with the owner, P.

I come from the area, and got the DVD when it first came out - great watch.

One year I was in the company of some English cousins, and the kids were each given a fiver to go to the "fun fair" while we stayed in the pub.  One of the kids decided to buy a goose (or maybe a duck I can't remember which) off one of the "vendors" and landed back into the pub with him where he had a quite enjoyable afternoon eating crisps and supping Guinness out of a saucer (the goose that is, not the kid)