Kildare v Cork July 25th Semple Stadium 7pm

Started by Dinny Breen, July 13, 2015, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

It doesn't matter to us where they play it. Our convoy will climb every mountain and ford every stream.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Obvious

Brian Hurley dropped to the bench not surprising with his recent championship displays.

twohands!!!

Cadogan to start at midfield with a dodgy hamstring injury while Maguire whose back is supposed to be crocked is  on the bench  ??? ???

Ohtoohtobe

I know Hurley didn't score against Kerry but he's exactly the type of direct, strong runner our defence hates. Big relief to see him dropped.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 24, 2015, 02:49:35 AM
I know Hurley didn't score against Kerry but he's exactly the type of direct, strong runner our defence hates. Big relief to see him dropped.

A lot easier for the Kildare defence to hold O'Neill and O'Connor when they don't have him to be worrying about. The other 4 forwards in the Cork attack don't pose anything like the threat these 2 do. Can't help but wonder if Cork are going too defensive.

Bit of a harsh call on him I think - basically he's being blamed for 1)the utter rank quality ball Cork were supplying to their forwards - he was having to come way out the field to get on ball and 2) Enright having 2 very good performances against him (you'd imagine that at the moment Enright would be the strong favourite among the Kerry backs to pick up an All-Star) It's one thing to be kept scoreless playing against a bad defender; a very different story when it's a defender turning in excellent performances.

Ohtoohtobe

Yeah agree with all that twohands and from a Kildare point of view, it solves a match-up problem. Ollie Lyons is the only Kildare back who is anywhere near approaching a top-class man-marker, and with him likely picking up O'Neill, it would have left an inexperienced defender like Fitzpatrick or O'Grady to take Hurley. I don't think either of them would have been able for it, or at least wouldn't have done as good a job as Enright.

A small problem solved for us by Brian Cuthbert and an opportunity to get Hurley back in form for the Dublin match missed.

Syferus

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 25, 2015, 01:48:41 AM
Yeah agree with all that twohands and from a Kildare point of view, it solves a match-up problem. Ollie Lyons is the only Kildare back who is anywhere near approaching a top-class man-marker, and with him likely picking up O'Neill, it would have left an inexperienced defender like Fitzpatrick or O'Grady to take Hurley. I don't think either of them would have been able for it, or at least wouldn't have done as good a job as Enright.

A small problem solved for us by Brian Cuthbert and an opportunity to get Hurley back in form for the Dublin match missed.

Ah c'mon. Kildare have to fancy a Cuthbert-managed Cork team on a 7 day turnaround. And if Cork win they aren't getting within an arse's roar of Dublin regardless. I was at the league final between the two and the gulf between them was too stark to be bridged in the space of three or four months.

Ohtoohtobe

Nah the two teams operate on different levels these days Syferus. I'd say there'll be about 10 points in it.

Also agree Dublin will beat Cork reasonably comfortably.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 23, 2015, 09:43:14 PM
Cadogan to start at midfield with a dodgy hamstring injury while Maguire whose back is supposed to be crocked is  on the bench  ??? ???

Save the bold Cadogan for the Dubs no ??

Dire Ear

Zulu

Not sure I'd agree Cork will win this handy. These are two teams I expected to be better over recent years and just when you start to believe in them they let you down. Neither appear to be happy camps and both sets of players apparently don't believe in their managements. Talent-wise Kildare are a close enough to Cork and with Cork having to pick themselves up after the disappointment of last week I expect it to be close.

From the Bunker

I don't Know. Cork would have beaten Kerry only for a Vincent de Paul Penalty. I think to much emphasis has been put on Corks loss  in the League final to Dublin. Mayo were hammered in the League by 2-18 to 0-10. They are there or there about's to ruffle a feather of one of the Provincial winners. They ran Mayo to the pin of their collar last year in the QF. They held on to Div One status easily. Kildare I'm afraid have been floating through this championship.  A replay to beat Laois who lost to Antrim at home. A Good win v Longford and a narrow win v Offaly. It's hard to see anything other than a modest Cork win.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2015, 01:57:22 PM
I don't Know. Cork would have beaten Kerry only for a Vincent de Paul Penalty. I think to much emphasis has been put on Corks loss  in the League final to Dublin. Mayo were hammered in the League by 2-18 to 0-10. They are there or there about's to ruffle a feather of one of the Provincial winners. They ran Mayo to the pin of their collar last year in the QF. They held on to Div One status easily. Kildare I'm afraid have been floating through this championship.  A replay to beat Laois who lost to Antrim at home. A Good win v Longford and a narrow win v Offaly. It's hard to see anything other than a modest Cork win.

I just don't think the brains are on the sideline in Cork. Whatever faults Holmes and Connelly have they're a damn sight better than Cuthbert, who is essential Counihan Mark 2, much to relief of Kerry and every other big team.

Cork aren't able to bring bodies back and close up on a team like Dublin, whereas Mayo have beaten and matched Dublin when it's mattered. I'm not even saying I think Mayo will beat Dublin but they'd have a better shot than Cork would/will.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2015, 01:57:22 PM

While all that's true form lines in GAA are less than reliable. It could be also argued that Cork's performance in the drawn game is being emphasised too much also. Kerry didn't start a lot of big names and had Moran black carded at a crucial time so the result might appear better than it really is. These are two fairly talented but utterly unpredictable teams so I wouldn't be overly surprised by any result. Cork are probably the safer bet but a Kildare win wouldn't be a shock IMO.