FIFA world rankings

Started by Gonzalo15, July 09, 2015, 04:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzalo15

Just wondering how in gods name are these rankings compiled..Wales in at 10th in latest one above the likes of Spain, France and Italy? Wtf. Bit of a farce imo

deiseach

The statto that is Omar Chaudhari has picked up on this. It seems Wales have played one away friendly since 2010  - he initially said they had played none, but he is corrected on that. He also thinks that a lot of the teams they have played in competitive matches are over-rated. And as another chap notes, it can be hard for Wales to get plum friendlies, which means they end up playing a lot of muck and get a disproportionate swing when they win those games. Either way,you are right - it's a farce.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: deiseach on July 09, 2015, 04:31:35 PM
it can be hard for Wales to get plum friendlies, which means they end up playing a lot of muck and get a disproportionate swing when they win those games.
The Re-pubic of Ireland are in the same boat, except for the winning bit.

general

republic are now seeded in the 4th pot for the euro qualifying draw, whilst wales are in the 1st...get that in your heads

Estimator

I read a report before last years World Cup regarding Switzerland massaging their ranking with handy friendly matches in order to improve their standing and ultimately improving their seeding for qualifying competitions.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Over the Bar

Quoterepublic are now seeded in the 4th pot for the euro qualifying draw, whilst wales are in the 1st...get that in your heads

I'd be pretty sure Wales pedigree in the Euros is a fair bit better than ours...

JoG2

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 09, 2015, 05:42:02 PM
Quoterepublic are now seeded in the 4th pot for the euro qualifying draw, whilst wales are in the 1st...get that in your heads

I'd be pretty sure Wales pedigree in the Euros is a fair bit better than ours...

Ahh Wales, good old Euro and WC qualification kingpins.  It's a wonder Giggsy hasn't more than 5* caps

* may be slightly more than 5

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Estimator on July 09, 2015, 04:54:16 PM
I read a report before last years World Cup regarding Switzerland massaging their ranking with handy friendly matches in order to improve their standing and ultimately improving their seeding for qualifying competitions.

This is exactly what the Republic should have been doing for years. Norway a few tournaments back became top seeds by beating a whole lot of muck in friendlies. Everybody laughs at the rankings but they are deadly serious. Look at the draw we got for the Euros and in that we were in pot 2 as a pot 4 team we could end up with this group Germany, Italy, Sweden, Republic, Armenia, Kazakhstan. The fecking Faroes are in the same pot as us and for what? They have beaten Greece twice and that is pretty much it since they started playing international football. Dream draw would be Wales, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Republic, Azerbeijan, Andorra