Words used incorrectly that get on your tits.

Started by AZOffaly, July 08, 2015, 01:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 08, 2015, 03:25:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 02:25:19 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2015, 02:23:12 PM
Quote from: dec on July 08, 2015, 02:20:36 PM
I could care less.

It's not something I like, but I get it. I could care less if I tried but I care so little that I can't summon up the energy to care less, that's how little I care. Besides, you don't argue with Jimmy McNulty.

No. I'm not having that :) It's an Americanism as far as I can see, and it literally means 'It's impossible for me to care less about this' i.e. 'I couldn't care less'.

The linguist Steven Pinker reckons that it's sarcasm, as in "oh yeah, like I could care less."

In that context, it works. However given that most Americans I know have a very hard time with sarcasm, I doubt that's the origin of it.

deiseach

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2015, 03:51:54 PM
Calling a hurley a 'hurl'.

Controversial. I call it both. We called it a hurl up in Offaly, and I think they do in Kilkenny and Galway as well. Down here it's all hurley.

laoislad

What about Nordies using the word mind for remember?
What the fcuk is that all about.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 03:54:30 PM
Controversial. I call it both. We called it a hurl up in Offaly, and I think they do in Kilkenny and Galway as well. Down here it's all hurley.

My wife works in Wexford and thought it was some kind of speech impediment when they called it a hurl. Eventually she came to the conclusion that it's just what they called it.

She was right the first time.

Orior

I suggest that you all read "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, and "Troublesome Words by the same.

Educational and funny.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

dec

Franko

Willie Frazer's a great man for making blunders like these.

Esmarelda

CiKe

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on July 08, 2015, 02:33:44 PM
"I am defiantly going for a pint tonight" instead of definitely.  See this written incorrectly every f**king day.

You sure they aren't just going for a pint in defiance of the missus?