Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

No, this wasn't the Parkinson thing, I reckon he was on the right lines. This was the paper review at 12 yesterday, when I was heading to Thurles.

Jinxy

I heard Ger Gilroy rabbiting on alright and felt like firing the radio out the window.
Some lad texted in to say he was reconsidering letting his daughter play u-12 camogie on the back of this.  ::)
Take Molloy and Parkinson out of the studio and it's barely worth listening to.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tonto1888

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2015, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on July 13, 2015, 04:47:36 PM
I heard yesterday at the game, that an unwarranted punch to the balls by the Dublin player was rewarded with a few boxes around the head by the Armagh player.  No broken jaw, no broken eye socket, but apparently it is true about the Dublin man having his jersey pulled over his head while the Armagh man (A senior member of the panel) give him a good few punches in quick succession.

Complete bullshit.

Alright then, what happened?

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2015, 10:06:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2015, 11:33:23 AM
Was the Dublin man the 'victim' though? I know he got a broken nose out of it, and I've heard broken jaw and broken eye socket as well, but there's some doubt about that apparently. I can't believe Dublin would want this to just go away if it was as clear as the media made it out to be. I was getting annoyed listening to Newstalk yesterday on the way to Thurles. They were going on and on about this victim thing, and were incredulous that Gavin wanted to just sweep it under the carpet. Part of their annoyance was because it will kill the story, of course, but it annoyed me that not one of the panel said 'Why are Dublin eager to keep it under wraps?'.

Unless there is legal proceedings under way (in which case I apologise), I think it's fairly clear the victim status may be at least in question here. I don't like the way Armagh are being slated when no one really knows what's going on.

In fairness to Parkinson, he was saying if it was just two lads going at it, he didn't have a massive problem with the whole thing as it takes two to tango.
It was the whole 'Move along, nothing to see here' approach that was making him think this isn't what happened in this case.
It's unusual that both sides would refuse to say anything about what happened.
Dublin would seem to be the victims here and yet they don't want anyone looking too closely at what happened, which would make you wonder.

Exactly. This self-policing shite has to stop. In hindsight I m amazed Gavin did that interview. Whoever his spin-doctor is, landed him in it. Came across like an evasive politician on the cover-up.

orangeman

CCC to investigate.

The GAA's Central Competition Controls Committee are to re-open the investigation into the incident that left Dublin footballer Davy Byrne with an extensive facial injury in a challenge match against Armagh almost two weeks ago.
It is understood that the disciplinary body are to seek further information from Dublin and Armagh in the wake of Dubs manager Jim Gavin's interview with Newstalk on Thursday night when he revealed that Byrne had a "frank" exchange afterwards with an Armagh player afterwards about the incident which happened before throw-in and left him with a fractured nose.
Gavin may be asked, through the Dublin County Board, to provide information on the identity of the Armagh player with whom he says Byrne spoke.
The CCCC have already looked at a video provided for them but it does not shed any light on the incident.
They were not in a position to launch a full investigation last week because there was no reference to the incident in the referee's match report or a complaint from Dublin.
But Gavin's revelation that Byrne spoke with the player involved in the incident has provided the basis for a further probe.
Meanwhile Newstalk did not carry an interview with Gavin after Dublin's Leinster final win over Westmeath. It is not clear if they were advised not to request one beforehand or if relations between the broadcaster and the Dublin management have become strained in the wake of last week's interview by former Laois footballer Colm Parkinson.
Irish Independent

macdanger2

Good to see that they're at least investigating it although it's unlikely anybody will have seen anything or that there will be any concrete evidence. Unless now that Armagh are out, they're lips might be a bit looser but I doubt it

Jinxy

There's a video is there not?

tommysmith

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 09:19:55 AM

It happened before throw in so the chances are it may not have been captured.

Jinxy

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 09:19:55 AM

The CCCC have already looked at a video provided for them but it does not shed any light on the incident.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2015, 10:06:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2015, 11:33:23 AM
Was the Dublin man the 'victim' though? I know he got a broken nose out of it, and I've heard broken jaw and broken eye socket as well, but there's some doubt about that apparently. I can't believe Dublin would want this to just go away if it was as clear as the media made it out to be. I was getting annoyed listening to Newstalk yesterday on the way to Thurles. They were going on and on about this victim thing, and were incredulous that Gavin wanted to just sweep it under the carpet. Part of their annoyance was because it will kill the story, of course, but it annoyed me that not one of the panel said 'Why are Dublin eager to keep it under wraps?'.

Unless there is legal proceedings under way (in which case I apologise), I think it's fairly clear the victim status may be at least in question here. I don't like the way Armagh are being slated when no one really knows what's going on.

In fairness to Parkinson, he was saying if it was just two lads going at it, he didn't have a massive problem with the whole thing as it takes two to tango.
It was the whole 'Move along, nothing to see here' approach that was making him think this isn't what happened in this case.
It's unusual that both sides would refuse to say anything about what happened.
Dublin would seem to be the victims here and yet they don't want anyone looking too closely at what happened, which would make you wonder.

Only plausible explanation is that there are numerous incidents in the melee by first team players (on both sides) that would see them suspended for August.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

It's ironic that the only basis for an investigation is that Gavin, the master of saying nothing, said something (and probably thought he was saying nothing).

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on July 14, 2015, 10:08:36 AM
It's ironic that the only basis for an investigation is that Gavin, the master of saying nothing, said something.

Strange one alright. But the Gaa works in mysterious ways on occasion.

AZOffaly

I think this is only right and proper, but I think it's typical GAA. The only reason they are having an investigation, or 're-opening' the investigation, is not because of anything Jim Gavin said. It's because of the media commentary since.

We should have had a proper investigation as soon as the game was over, but as with everything else, the GAA tries to gauge which way the public (i.e. the paying punter) is swaying before deciding what to do.

Croí na hÉireann

Their hands were tied as there was no reference to the incident in the referee's match report or a complaint from Dublin. My information is that they were very unhappy about the incident and the lack of information about it. Gavin's interview where he refers to a frank discussion to an unnamed Armagh has given them an avenue to pursue.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...