Fermanagh v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, July 06, 2015, 01:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theyellowbus

First off big congrats and best of luck to Fermanagh.Their fans are absolutely top notch.Its a ground I love going too as there is pure GAA people following their county up there.The honest joy and euphoria at the final whistle is something I hadn't witnessed in a while.
On to what happened on the pitch and we really shot ourselves in the foot this time.
I have to point the finger and say a large amount of responsibility of this defeat has to be attributed to our management.We took off Kilbride I'm presuming because he was on a yellow which isn't a good enough reason to take off a lad.He was playing well up that point and making it hard for Fermanagh in that area.We had to change the whole outlook of our team from the point on.Shine going to midfield and stack playing half forward was never going get to off the ground.Shine first of all is not an inter county midfielder and the position of sweeper suits him because firstly he can dictate play at his own pace and secondly he doesn't have to pick any one up.
Him going to midfield was always going to implode cause the lad doesn't work hard enough and in the modern game that cant happen in the middle third.The first five mins of the second half showed that up as they were all over us until we funnelled out a few lads from the forwards to nullify the space.
But we never got a foothold at all in the second half around the middle and ultimately it came back to haunt us.
The penalty decision turned the game because it gave them the hope that sparked the revival.
Up to that their attacks were more or less hit the big man with the high ball and see what happens.
The goal gave them the steely resolve to push on.
The subs they used were immense too and gave them that extra bit of pace which was hurting us again from us not working hard enough around the middle sector.
Even though we were in control on the scoreboard for the majority of the game I had a strange feeling after that we weren't the better team for some reason.
From here the powers that be need to reflect on the tenure of the current management and weigh the positives and negatives and see what is more important good league standings or positive championship campaigns.
My own feelings are we need a different voice around the current squad and someone with a good track record in championship preferably with a county of a higher profile than ourselves.
We have the ingredients for the cake but the cooks ain't there in my opinion.

Jinxy

What about a McStay/McHale ticket?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

theyellowbus

Id be open to it but the lack of inter county experience there in terms of management would be a bit worrying.
McStay knows the club scene though here very well at senior level so he would have some local knowledge which would be a positive.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2015, 04:00:36 PM

If Evans goes or is pushed he's probably the first one who will be asked.

macdanger2

Don't know that the macs would be interested, they'll hardly have forgotten the grief ye gave the last mayoman down there   ;D

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 13, 2015, 05:04:22 PM
Don't know that the macs would be interested, they'll hardly have forgotten the grief ye gave the last mayoman down there   ;D

Didn't stop McStay chairing the Football Review in the county last year..

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2015, 04:00:36 PM

If it wasn t good enough for Mayo it will hardly be good enough for our more illustrious and noisy neighbours.

Besides tall tanned Mayomen tend to be very unpopular in Roscommon.

moysider

Quote from: theyellowbus on July 13, 2015, 02:57:32 PM
First off big congrats and best of luck to Fermanagh.Their fans are absolutely top notch.Its a ground I love going too as there is pure GAA people following their county up there.The honest joy and euphoria at the final whistle is something I hadn't witnessed in a while.
On to what happened on the pitch and we really shot ourselves in the foot this time.
I have to point the finger and say a large amount of responsibility of this defeat has to be attributed to our management.We took off Kilbride I'm presuming because he was on a yellow which isn't a good enough reason to take off a lad.He was playing well up that point and making it hard for Fermanagh in that area.We had to change the whole outlook of our team from the point on.Shine going to midfield and stack playing half forward was never going get to off the ground.Shine first of all is not an inter county midfielder and the position of sweeper suits him because firstly he can dictate play at his own pace and secondly he doesn't have to pick any one up.
Him going to midfield was always going to implode cause the lad doesn't work hard enough and in the modern game that cant happen in the middle third.The first five mins of the second half showed that up as they were all over us until we funnelled out a few lads from the forwards to nullify the space.
But we never got a foothold at all in the second half around the middle and ultimately it came back to haunt us.
The penalty decision turned the game because it gave them the hope that sparked the revival.
Up to that their attacks were more or less hit the big man with the high ball and see what happens.
The subs they used were immense too and gave them that extra bit of pace which was hurting us again from us not working hard enough around the middle sector.
Even though we were in control on the scoreboard for the majority of the game I had a strange feeling after that we weren't the better team for some reason.
From here the powers that be need to reflect on the tenure of the current management and weigh the positives and negatives and see what is more important good league standings or positive championship campaigns.
My own feelings are we need a different voice around the current squad and someone with a good track record in championship preferably with a county of a higher profile than ourselves.

John Maughan fits the bill there.

Oh, wait ;D ;D ;D

DuffleKing

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2015, 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: To whom it may concern on July 13, 2015, 11:54:16 AM
Some win for Fermanagh. Something missing in that Roscommon team especially when they go in as favourites.

McGrath working wonders and building on the great work Canavan/Donnelly did. Impressed with their conditioning and fitness which has obviously been developed over the past 2-3 years.

Westmeath draw is favourable and just shows what belief and momentum can do. Great draw for Fermanagh and a great chance of a quarter final now. Well deserved

Incredible stuff. Nothing to work with. No excuses like tiredness , inexperience or the usual guff from some counties

Just a great manager who knows how to train football teams properly . That , hard work and a panel of players ensures Fermanagh can leave the excuses to other teams .

Ironically, the difference in Fermanagh this year from last are two approaches that Pete was dragged kicking and screaming to and was only possible because of the car crash year they had in his first year.

Firstly, their conditioning approach is now of a modern outlook - the laps approach of last year was dispensed with and their team has been fresh looking and finishing games strongly all year. Secondly, the traditional tactical format is long gone and Fermanagh have arguably been the closest team in Ulster to the uber defensive Tyrone approach this year. The tactical approach that allowed them to be exposed so badly in the championship last year was head in hands stuff.

The backroom team deserve great credit in managing to change the direction of those two fundamental elements of what they are doing and those changes have allowed Pete's natural strengths of man management and moulding a team to reap the rewards.

theyellowbus

Always a sign of a good management team that is willing to adapt and change ideas.

FermGael

Great work of canavan. Please
A lot of that team did not feature under canavan.

Agree with duffle king though about the backroom team that wee Pete appointed by us year.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

redzone

wrong fermgael. D kelly. Clucker, decky mcc, m obrien, e donn, r Jones t Corrigan, s quiqley, d kille all played again Cavan in canavans last game. That's more than half the starting team. Whether u like it or not the wee man was an integral part in getting the wheels moving again within Fermanagh football.only for him you'd could still be in div 4.

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2015, 05:12:09 PM
Quote from: theyellowbus on July 13, 2015, 02:57:32 PM

John Maughan fits the bill there.

Oh, wait ;D ;D ;D
You beat me to it. Any way they can include Maughan. Maybe tanning co-ordinator.

FermGael

Quote from: redzone on July 13, 2015, 06:07:21 PM
wrong fermgael. D kelly. Clucker, decky mcc, m obrien, e donn, r Jones t Corrigan, s quiqley, d kille all played again Cavan in canavans last game. That's more than half the starting team. Whether u like it or not the wee man was an integral part in getting the wheels moving again within Fermanagh football.only for him you'd could still be in div 4.

With the exception of eoin redzone all of those players featured and played for malachy or John o neill.
Sean quigley probably did not because he was still a minor when o neill and malachy were managers.

Any well organised manager would have got fermanagh promoted with the squad of players fermanagh had back then. Mcgrath, sherrys, owens, lyons, mccabe plus seamie as well.

The is another half a team you failed to mention that were not even in the panel under canavan.
Want to explain where they were?

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

redzone

Owens McGrath McCabe woods  t McElroy all starters under canavan and that Keenan lad as well. There was no room on that team for them. Mulrone was injured.