Orange Order Museum at Loughgall

Started by T Fearon, June 30, 2015, 09:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Maybe I should go along for the craic. Colonel William Blacker was more than likely a distant relative, although there must've been a split in the camp somewhere as the William and Valentine Blackers in my family were Catholic farmers in Cusheney, near the Diamond!

Orior

I've always been amused by the surnames of some gaelic county footballers and their... ahem... dubious origins. Turn back to plantation times and county teams would be more than decimated.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

No way would I visit.It is a propaganda exercise and I fail to see how OO accessed peace monies for these developments

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on July 01, 2015, 01:49:55 PM
I've always been amused by the surnames of some gaelic county footballers and their... ahem... dubious origins. Turn back to plantation times and county teams would be more than decimated.

Is this your contribution to the GAA's official policy of reaching out to "protestants"? We don't check people's genealogy before admitting them to membership.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on July 01, 2015, 09:38:57 PM

Is this your contribution to the GAA's official policy of reaching out to "protestants"? We don't check people's genealogy before admitting them to membership.

Protestants are OK, it is those Castle Catholics you get around Meath that might be investigated.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Am I not allowed to be a historian, and be interested in the origin of surnames? I could have said the same thing about the Ireland rugby team, or the English soccer team.

Rossfan

That SF Mayor of Belfast has a mighty unGaelic name.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2015, 11:28:24 PM

Exactly. And I'm fairly sure that Adams is a planter surname, which is interesting.

Rossfan

Hume, Attwood........... De Valera,Lemass,.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Some of my favourite GAA names:

Achill Boothman
Joachim Kelly
Moses Coffey
Bosco McDermott

And a good nickname:
Aeroplane O'Shea

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on July 01, 2015, 11:42:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2015, 11:28:24 PM

Exactly. And I'm fairly sure that Adams is a planter surname, which is interesting.

Adams has remarked on his heritage on several occasions, his ancestor hailing from Suffolk or some such, although not a planter as I recall.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

topcuppla

Quote from: topcuppla on July 01, 2015, 11:47:50 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2015, 09:29:22 PM
See Jarlath Burns was one of the first visitors yesterday,pictured with Senior Orange Order officials.Each to their own but is this not a shrine to sectarianism and an attempt by Orange Order to sanitise the many unsavoury aspects of its "culture"

Surely the blame lies solely with Jarlath's parents?

From Nigel White

[quote ]
What do you mean with that comment about Jarlath Burns' elderly parents who are well respected people in South Armagh?  I've reported you to the moderators for putting it up.

[/quote]

Dry your eyes benny maybe you should report things that count like people blaming parents on child abuse!

Pub Bore

Hardy is an English and a French surname of Old French origin. Hardy comes from Old French hardi meaning "bold, courageous" which comes from Old Frankish hardjan meaning "to make hard."

Planter & Huguenot??  Ye'll be more than welcome in the North on the 11th.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2015, 12:20:49 AM
Some of my favourite GAA names:

Achill Boothman
Joachim Kelly
Moses Coffey
Bosco McDermott

And a good nickname:
Aeroplane O'Shea
Always loved Joachim Kelly! Dingle Daly of Armagh fame is my favourite nickname.

Applesisapples

On the OO. In my experience their are two different orders, the in your face croppy lie down bunch from Belfast and Portadown and the Rural lodges. If we are serious about reconciliation then we need to take stock of our attitude to what the OO means in a lot of rural areas.