Armagh v Galway (Sat 11-07-15)

Started by illdecide, June 29, 2015, 04:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Very disappointing defeat. Can't really put too much fault on the players as they're being made to play a system that they have nowhere near mastered. Felt sorry for them, some of the crowd giving them dogs abuse for not pushing up on Galway when they were clearly under strict instructions. Also desperately need to sort out a kick out strategy rather than go long all the time. Our midfielders were second fiddle all day.

I thought defensively we played well but discipline is a big issue if Armagh are gonna persist with this setup next year. Galway only got 5 pts from play and the  lucky goal came from a free for mouthing at the ref.

The forwards did ok-ish given the circumstances, though I would have preferred a few more long balls in on top of Murnin as he was proving a bit of a handful for the Galway fb line.

Hope that there are no further retirements and if someone would persuade Aaron Kernan to come back for another year that would be fantastic.

smelmoth

Thought i would leave it 24 hours to cool down. Not cool down so much from yesterday's result but to cool down from the disappointment of such a wasted season.

On a positive note I would like to congratulate Galway and Kieran McGeeney.

Galway were the better team by a distance yesterday. I thought the boys on TSG were absolutely correct to condem the cynicisim of Galway in the closing stages but that aside they played decent football and were always in control.

McGeeney must be congratulated on the successful completion of his plan to erase all traces of instinct in a football team.

Aaron Findon now attempts to catch ball in midfield by going up with one hand. Having watched him develop over the last 7 years it couldn't be argued that this is his natural instinct.
McKenna, Forker, Campbell, Findon and both Raffertys now run away from opponents in possession. This is not their natural instinct.
Armagh carry the ball through the middle third when they know ot does not yield results. It is not any player's instinct to repeat failure
Charlie Vernon (played well yesterday) when he marauds into midfield, has space in front of him and an abundance of men behind him now off-loads to someone 5 yards away from him. What happened his natural instinct to support the attack?
When any Armagh player has a free outside of the scoring zone they play the ball backwards. What has happened the instinct to attack? What has happened the instinct of men in advance of the ball to make a run into space or to make space for a colleague by dragging a marker away?
Why are Armagh not allowed to take quick kick outs until the game is dead and the opponent is just protecting themselves against a sucker punch goal?
What has happened the instinct to mark your man on their kick outs?
What has happened the instinct of fowards to get in around the goal when we are taking long range frees or 45s?
Is it Declan McKenna's instinct to play as a sweeper on his own 20m line when we are 5 points down with 5 minutes to play?
Is it Soupy Campbell's instinct to operate exclusively in the middle third?

Anybody who thinks all these players are going against their natural instincts is a coincidence is blind beyond belief.

McGeeney thinks the best way to beat a team is to let them have the ball on their own kickouts and take it unopposed to our defensive 45. That is where we engaged. A failure of imagination. If he does not fix this we will fail again.

Ref was fine yesterday. Galway did little to complain about other than the late onset cynicism. Truth is Armagh have a few problems but one of them is massive. Kieran McGeeney can only work with players within the straight jacket that he imposes. That needs to change. Either he makes that change or we make a change.

smelmoth

in 2004 after we were beat by Fermanagh the Fermanagh fans flooded the croke park turf. To be fair it was a wonderful scene. As the Mayo vs Tyrone match was imminent the anouncer asked the fans to leave the pitch 4 or 5 times. Eventually he repeated in call as gaelige as if that would work. I thought it one of the more rediculous anouncements I had heard. Yesterday fans were asked to not come on the pitch. As if there was any inclination to go on the pitch?

I got in the car and the cd came on where it had left of. Bowie and Five Years. God help us.

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on July 13, 2015, 07:02:31 PM
in 2004 after we were beat by Fermanagh the Fermanagh fans flooded the croke park turf. To be fair it was a wonderful scene. As the Mayo vs Tyrone match was imminent the anouncer asked the fans to leave the pitch 4 or 5 times. Eventually he repeated in call as gaelige as if that would work. I thought it one of the more rediculous anouncements I had heard. Yesterday fans were asked to not come on the pitch. As if there was any inclination to go on the pitch?

I got in the car and the cd came on where it had left of. Bowie and Five Years. God help us.

Was it followed by Ashes to Ashes?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on July 13, 2015, 07:08:49 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 13, 2015, 07:02:31 PM

Was it followed by Ashes to Ashes?
New Dawn Fades by Joy Division

A change of speed, a change of style
A change of scene with no regrets
A chance to watch, admire the distance
Still occupied though you forget
Different colors, different shades
Over each mistakes were made
I took the blame
Directionless so plain to see
A loaded gun won't set you free
So you say

We'll share a drink and step outside
An angry voice and one who cried
"We'll give you everything and more
The strain's too much, can't take much more"
Oh, I've walked on water, run through fire
Can't seem to feel it anymore
It was me, waiting for me
Hoping for something more
Me, seeing me this time
Hoping for something else

armaghniac

Don't worry, there is a Star Man waiting in the Sky, to bring a New Order.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on July 13, 2015, 07:29:03 PM
Don't worry, there is a Star Man waiting in the Sky, to bring a New Order.

Possibly as much to heard in Heart and Soul as there was im New Dawn Fades

Instincts that can still betray us,
A journey that leads to the sun,
Soulless and bent on destruction,
A struggle between right and wrong.

You take my place in the showdown,
I'll observe witha pitiful eye,
I'll humbly ask for forgiveness,
A request well beyond you and I.

Heart and soul, one will burn.

An abyss that laughs at creation,
A circus complete with all fools,
Foundations that lasted the ages,
Then ripped apart at their roots.

Beyond all this goo's is the terror,
The grip of a mercenary hand,
When savagery turns all good reason,
There's no turning back, no last stand.

Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can.
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand.
The present is well out of hand.

One will burn, one will burn.

(PS Armagh fans are encourged to listen to Ian Curtis today but only after puting their belts and shoe laces in a locked room)

stew

I am astonished at the complete lack of gumption from this coaching staff, that was putrid from us against a very average side, when you are down by five or six point you might want to move away from the defensive gameplan and let your players loose a bit, you have to push up when you are losing and plan A is a nightmare for this team because they are shite at what he is asking them to do.

I am a huge Geezer fan but as a manager we have regressed under him over the past year and if he is unwilling to change they change must be brought to bear and we need to get someone in who the players believe in and who will get this team playing with pride, passion and excellence, we have the players, we just need to break out of this negative drivel that is unwatchable.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2015, 01:47:59 PM
Get one of the McEntees in there for gods sake.
Make sure it's the right one though, they look very alike.

With our luck, Tony McEntee will probably end of managing Dublin, or Meath or Down and winning a few All-Irelands.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

smelmoth

After this year I wonder how many Armagh fans would pluck for installing Tony McEntee now or persevering another 4 years with McGeeney and risking the attacking talents of Clarke, Campbell, McKenna, O'Hanlon, Forker et al withering on the bough

tonto1888

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 13, 2015, 01:22:02 PM
G i remember people calling for McGeeney when Paddy O`Rourke and Paul grimley were manager, now hes there and not cutting the mustard, hes no good! Maybe a look at the lack of scoring forwards is what is hindering Armagh fore by lack of a gameplan
agreed too much burden on Jamie Clarke but that doesn't excuse the tactics shown yesterday and most of the year

smelmoth

galwayman

Just saw the highlights on TV there for the first time.
There's a few cribbing about the penalty decision.
As I said previously I was down towards the other end of the ground so I didn't get a good view of it at the time but having seen the TV footage of the incident there - not in a million years was that a penalty.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: galwayman on July 13, 2015, 10:31:29 PM
As I said previously I was down towards the other end of the ground so I didn't get a good view of it at the time but having seen the TV footage of the incident there - not in a million years was that a penalty.

I was at the end where it happened and I didn't think it was a penalty. Couldn't be arsed watching it again on TV - I feel I've seen the match twice anyway having been at the Donegal game.  :-\

smelmoth

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 13, 2015, 10:39:06 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 13, 2015, 10:31:29 PM

I was at the end where it happened and I didn't think it was a penalty. Couldn't be arsed watching it again on TV - I feel I've seen the match twice anyway having been at the Donegal game.  :-\

I didn't have much of a view from the stand but on TSG it didn't look like a penalty.

What was the pre-throw in punch that I have heard mentioned? I didn't see that and nobody near me mentioned it