Armagh v Galway (Sat 11-07-15)

Started by illdecide, June 29, 2015, 04:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2015, 10:45:49 PM
Hard to know where both these teams lie. Galway were still a good bit off Mayo again this year (and I'm being diplomatic there). Armagh were humiliated by Donegal. Boys and Men stuff!

I don't think there was much of a comparison between those games to be honest. As Jim McGuinness said, one was a contest the other was not. That said I don't think Armagh will be anywhere near that bad again all Summer.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 29, 2015, 10:28:38 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 29, 2015, 10:11:49 PM
Toughest draw Armagh could have got too,apart from an away trip to Galway.Meath and Wexford would have been my preferences.Galway must start as favourites

Bookies don't agree, Armagh 4/6 with Galway 6/4 in most places.

I feel Galway have progressed this year although they could go out in the 2nd round of the qualifies whilst we were in a quarter final last year which was certainly down to the lucky draw we got.

In theory Galway could have to beat Armagh, Tyrone/Derry & Monaghan to make the quarter finals and the same goes for Armagh.

I imagine their won't be many changes from the last day although Patrick Sweeney will be very lucky to get the start ahead of O'Griofa. The other big issue is where to play Conroy, his form is a worry. I prefer Flynn in midfield, his running adds a different dimension when we attack.

Conroy's current form is certainly a worry, I saw him playing for St James's against Killererin last week and he didn't even look like a distant relation of a county footballer, never mind the captain, I think he made one good, clean catch in the second half and that was it, he was taking mad shots from way out as well, he had really bad day at the office. Johnny Duane was given the run around by Padraic Joyce also, worrying times in Galway when it's Padraic Joyce and Cormac Bane that are racking up the scores and getting all the plaudits.

PW Nally

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 29, 2015, 10:55:58 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 29, 2015, 10:28:38 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 29, 2015, 10:11:49 PM
Toughest draw Armagh could have got too,apart from an away trip to Galway.Meath and Wexford would have been my preferences.Galway must start as favourites

Bookies don't agree, Armagh 4/6 with Galway 6/4 in most places.

I feel Galway have progressed this year although they could go out in the 2nd round of the qualifies whilst we were in a quarter final last year which was certainly down to the lucky draw we got.

In theory Galway could have to beat Armagh, Tyrone/Derry & Monaghan to make the quarter finals and the same goes for Armagh.

I imagine their won't be many changes from the last day although Patrick Sweeney will be very lucky to get the start ahead of O'Griofa. The other big issue is where to play Conroy, his form is a worry. I prefer Flynn in midfield, his running adds a different dimension when we attack.

Conroy's current form is certainly a worry, I saw him playing for St James's against Killererin last week and he didn't even look like a distant relation of a county footballer, never mind the captain, I think he made one good, clean catch in the second half and that was it, he was taking mad shots from way out as well, he had really bad day at the office. Johnny Duane was given the run around by Padraic Joyce also, worrying times in Galway when it's Padraic Joyce and Cormac Bane that are racking up the scores and getting all the plaudits.
What age would Bane be now?

Duine Eile

Bane would be about 33 I'd say, open to correction though.

galwayman

Bane was a Galway minor in 2000 and 2001.
Assuming he was either 17 or 18 in 01 that would make him 31 or 32 now.
Still a fine footballer.The most accurate club footballer in the county along with Pj still.

illdecide

I'm sorry but I don't buy into the home/away advantage. It's not the same as soccer and teams playing away from home are not that disadvantaged. Galway having had Armagh's measure over the last few Championship meetings as well as Armagh's performances this season how bookies can make Armagh 4/6 favourites is beyond me. Galway are def the value bet at 6/4 and i'd imagine plenty of people will have a piece of that.

Armagh do always have a big game in them and on their day can be a match for the best of teams but unfortunately they are not capable of sustaining that and could easily be beaten the next day by a Div 4 team such is their inconsistency. Lets hope now that we're not playing an Ulster team that we can throw of the shackles a bit and play with a bit more flare and less negativity. Armagh are def struggling to get their best 15 out this year thru injuries and I think that's contributing to their form but this game should be a cracker and at least one team will be going into the next round with a bit more confidence that they have right now...

Do you think if it's 28 degrees heat like the last day Armagh will warm up like maniacs for 40 mins in it?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

FYI, there is a good article in Time magazine on analysis of home advantage in basketball, american football, baseball etc etc.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Fhairche Abu

It was a better draw than Tyrone or Derry away but we'll be doing well to get a result in Armagh as it is. I do think home advantage is worth a few points especially for qualifier games like this where the distance between the counties is substantial.
The Galway support outside the small hardcore doesn't really travel to away games anyway but we'll be particularly outnumbered at this match I think.

Galway are definitely no world beaters but neither are Armagh to be honest, I think this is the hardest one to call from the four 2B games, both teams have a chance.

naka

tbf its a good draw for both teams,
Armagh have been poor so far this seqson so this could be the kick start,
as for Galway they won`t fear Armagh and are probably content to have avoided Tyrone

illdecide

I was reading someone else's comments on the Armagh forum and they were saying this is Armagh's 3rd home game in a row (we all knew that) but that it doesn't feel like a proper championship if you haven't too get in your car and head to some other ground in Ireland and I suppose that's true. The feeling off driving for a few hours to an unfamiliar ground and getting to see different parts of the country is nearly part of the Championship ( the drive to Croker is best as you know you've made progress in the Championship) but it's great to get south to a ground you haven't visited before.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: illdecide on June 30, 2015, 08:59:03 AM
Lets hope now that we're not playing an Ulster team that we can throw of the shackles a bit and play with a bit more flare and less negativity.

You're being very hopeful.  Wicklow aren't in Ulster and we were very negative against them as we had 2 spare defenders on each of their kick outs

general_lee

I think home advantage does have certain benefits, there's the whole logistics of getting a team to one end of the country especially if they've a ridiculous throw in time like Down had against Wexford and we know how that ended up. I think they travelled the day of the game which is never good and then stayed down that night, hardly ideal.

Having said that I think how a manager plays up a team's underdog status has a more important role. Against the likes of Wicklow you can hardly do that when your 1/50 but against Galway we could really see a gutsy performance against a highly rated (by me anyway) outfit. There should be added incentive to really prove themselves after the two outings so far. What is the soonest dyas would be back or is 2015 over for him?

galwayman

When will the throw in times for these games be confirmed?

BennyCake

Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2015, 02:04:44 PM

Don't worry, you'll still be able to make it to the bonfire.

illdecide

Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2015, 02:04:44 PM

took the statement below of the Armagh forum site...

I am hearing unofficially that the match fixtures might not be set until Monday next , which is very strange ...... If I was a Galway , Wexford or Meath fan you would have to think twice about travelling up the north of the eve of the 12th maybe their County boards are thinking the same .

Surely not!!!