Armagh v Galway (Sat 11-07-15)

Started by illdecide, June 29, 2015, 04:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2015, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 03, 2015, 11:31:46 AM
Jesus Christ it's not Beirut

Are you referring to Cross' or Armagh City :)
Both! Where would Galway traffic come from? Monaghan direction or Newry?

RealSpiritof98

Why the delay? make a bloody decision and stick by it, its hardly rocket science.

naka

GalwayBayBoy

Shane Walsh won't be back in time for the game. Still a few weeks away.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 03, 2015, 10:42:30 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on July 03, 2015, 09:04:21 AM
Quote from: illdecide on July 03, 2015, 01:11:19 AM
I think a lot of ye are getting caught up on this 12th thing...its not that bad and the way you'd be coming in I doubt you'll even see or here a thing. ..get up for a cheap pint r two and enjoy the game...

I'd have the lukewarmism support Galway can get as the main factor, the performance in the Mayo game and the long-distance of the trip as the big factors - the 12th thing would be the kinda cherry on top for folks. Easier for folk to mention the 12th thing to justify not travelling as opposed to saying they couldn't be arsed making the trip.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that Galway people were unhappy about the performance against Mayo. Losing by 4 to what is perceived as a top 4 side is hardly a disaster. Not happy to lose obviously but I think most people I spoke to since were happy enough with the effort and application. Just regretting some basic errors that would have made it an extremely close finish. Now 2 years ago you might have had a point when there wasn't anything to take away from the game at all.

I agree, it was a platform to build on as opposed to the shambolic performance 2 years ago.

I can't see us lining up man for man like we did the last day, Armagh certainly won't set up the way did Mayo did which should enable us to play with a sweeper in front of Clarke. If we can perform with the same intensity we did against Mayo I'm very confident we'll win.

stew

What time is the kickoff in this one?

I am at a football tournament in Minneapolis that weekend but can watch it through the phone on Gaago.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

Quote from: stew on July 03, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

In Ireland, we throw the ball in.
The day, time and venue are unknown.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2015, 10:12:59 PM

It is an Armagh game so kickoff would be the correct terminology :D

Throw ball

For me there is no logic in switching the game away from athletic Grounds. The majority of Galway traffic will be coming from Monaghan direction. They are unlikely to see any band parades. The only people affected by any parades are those travelling from Portadown direction. To move the match anywhere else - Cross, Clones etc. - would mean them travelling home later. If anything this is more dangerous than holding it in Armagh. There is a band parade in Armagh on the Saturday night. But there are that many parades that most locals will not even notice. Only the police could suggest that an evening throw in is not suitable. If that is the case change the time, not the venue.

As an aside Armagh Harps are due to play Tir na Nog on Sunday. The match is just of the Garvaghy Road. This Sunday is Drumcree Sunday. Times are changing. We have enough of parades and stuff determine what we can do.

macdanger2

I think a lot of ye are getting caught up on this 12th thing...its not that bad and the way you'd be coming in I doubt you'll even see or here a thing. ..get up for a cheap pint r two and enjoy the game...

Cheap pint my arse, have you seen the exchange rate??!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 03, 2015, 03:42:13 PM

I'd have the lukewarmism support Galway can get as the main factor, the performance in the Mayo game and the long-distance of the trip as the big factors - the 12th thing would be the kinda cherry on top for folks. Easier for folk to mention the 12th thing to justify not travelling as opposed to saying they couldn't be arsed making the trip.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that Galway people were unhappy about the performance against Mayo. Losing by 4 to what is perceived as a top 4 side is hardly a disaster. Not happy to lose obviously but I think most people I spoke to since were happy enough with the effort and application. Just regretting some basic errors that would have made it an extremely close finish. Now 2 years ago you might have had a point when there wasn't anything to take away from the game at all.

I agree, it was a platform to build on as opposed to the shambolic performance 2 years ago.

I can't see us lining up man for man like we did the last day, Armagh certainly won't set up the way did Mayo did which should enable us to play with a sweeper in front of Clarke. If we can perform with the same intensity we did against Mayo I'm very confident we'll win.

Have to say I don't think Galway have improved at all this year (the jury is still out). I think you are confusing intensity with Niggle. They got more in Mayo's players faces than other years, but the reality is Mayo beat them without playing well.

This is a good test for both teams and ss I've said before who ever wins this will get a lift (even though both are not the powers of old). Hope Galway do it, but it will be a big ask to do it away from home.

illdecide

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 03, 2015, 11:05:56 PM

Cheap pint my arse, have you seen the exchange rate??!!

Don't u talk to me about rates...I just spent yesterday at a wedding in co Monaghan and the price at the bars were ridiculous... €4 for a soft drink for kids and €6 a pint. You Mexican's must be well flush with the Euro's ;-)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2015, 10:35:18 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2015, 10:12:59 PM

It is an Armagh game so kickoff would be the correct terminology :D

Very good Syphilis...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 04, 2015, 12:03:17 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 03, 2015, 03:42:13 PM

Have to say I don't think Galway have improved at all this year (the jury is still out). I think you are confusing intensity with Niggle. They got more in Mayo's players faces than other years, but the reality is Mayo beat them without playing well.

This is a good test for both teams and ss I've said before who ever wins this will get a lift (even though both are not the powers of old). Hope Galway do it, but it will be a big ask to do it away from home.

Well whit ever you want to call it whether it be aggression, niggle or intensity they showed something in a match that they've now shown in a long time so I'd class that as some sort of improvement. I agree that I don't think Mayo played that well but I don't know know how good this Mayo team are going to be this year under new management. As for Galway I don't think they played as well as they can, they were probably too pumped up especially Comer and Lundy who both didn't perform as well as they can. You're kidding yourself if you think Glaway performed to their optimum, so many aspects of our game require plenty of work,

Galway in recent years have had no physical edge to them, might have got a quarter final last year but only because of the lucky draw against Tipp, we got within 2 points of Kerry in the quarter final but had no response once Kerry decided they needed to up the pace.

Nobody is getting carried away as there is an a lot of improvement required before we close the gap on the top teams but at least reality has hit home to this group of players and they won't be bullied by better opponents going forward.

smelmoth

Been away on hols so only getting some of this story but did the GAA announce that the fixture details would be announced this week and then just not do that and not tell the paying public what they were at?

As for the Armagh v Galway match there is zero logic in moving the game away from the AG. Galway fans will not encounter any Orange marchs on the 11/7 unless the come by a highly unusual route or there is a political, religious and cultural revolution in Madden & Middletown in the next 7 days. There is little enough evidence of evolution in some of those areas so a 1 week revolution would appear beyond the realms of possibility.

The safety issue relates to our North Armagh brethern and a 2.30 pm throw on would work for all.

I suspect Sky are the reason for the delay. I have no problem with that but suspect it something that the GAA have some reticence to admit