Armagh v Galway (Sat 11-07-15)

Started by illdecide, June 29, 2015, 04:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on July 02, 2015, 03:55:02 PM
On a serious note...what sort of support should we expect from Galway? Donegal had an amazing support against us in Athletic Grounds for 1st round of Ulster and Wicklow didn't bring many with them but they wouldn't have a big fan base anyway( well not that i'm aware of) but surely Galway would bring at least 1000 to Armagh?

Wicklow was always on a sticky wicket and the 25 point gap the last day wouldn't have helped. Galway have every chance of winning.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Duine Eile

On a serious note...what sort of support should we expect from Galway? Donegal had an amazing support against us in Athletic Grounds for 1st round of Ulster and Wicklow didn't bring many with them but they wouldn't have a big fan base anyway( well not that i'm aware of) but surely Galway would bring at least 1000 to Armagh?

It's hard to tell really, the Galway support is a very fickle beast at the best of times, there will be the usual group of supporters that go to every game, hail, rain or shine but whether the extras that usually appear during the summer travel or not, it's hard to say, that particular weekend in Ulster is really putting people off judging by what I've heard. Added to that the long journey and it's probably going to be on TV, I'd say there won't be too many Galway supporters unfortunately!

twohands!!!

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 02, 2015, 05:33:36 PM

It's hard to tell really, the Galway support is a very fickle beast at the best of times, there will be the usual group of supporters that go to every game, hail, rain or shine but whether the extras that usually appear during the summer travel or not, it's hard to say, that particular weekend in Ulster is really putting people off judging by what I've heard. Added to that the long journey and it's probably going to be on TV, I'd say there won't be too many Galway supporters unfortunately!

Yeah I can't see Galway taking a huge crowd to this - the footballing strong hold is the west of the county so it's a long enough ould round trip, the performance in the Mayo game wasn't much to write home about and I could easily see the whole 12th thing putting a lot of folk off - I'd imagine Galway folk especially in the touristy areas would be used to seeing the upsurge in Northern Reg Cars around this time and are probably thinking "well if a good chunk of the locals tend to clear out of dodge around then, maybe it's not worth the bother heading into dodge"

Duine Eile

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 02, 2015, 06:41:11 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 02, 2015, 05:33:36 PM

Yeah I can't see Galway taking a huge crowd to this - the footballing strong hold is the west of the county so it's a long enough ould round trip, the performance in the Mayo game wasn't much to write home about and I could easily see the whole 12th thing putting a lot of folk off - I'd imagine Galway folk especially in the touristy areas would be used to seeing the upsurge in Northern Reg Cars around this time and are probably thinking "well if a good chunk of the locals tend to clear out of dodge around then, maybe it's not worth the bother heading into dodge"

Ooh careful now, plenty of people in the north and east of the county wouldn't agree with that at all now!  ;D

Farrandeelin

I heard before some Mayo - Galway game in the last few years that Galway fans only tend to follow their team when they're doing well, whereas Mayo fans blindly follow their team whether they're going well or not, from a Galway fella on some radio station. Don't expect a whole lot of them up there on the 11th.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Remember mid 90s when Laythrum out numbered them 5 to 1 at a Championship game in Tuam.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

I think a lot of ye are getting caught up on this 12th thing...its not that bad and the way you'd be coming in I doubt you'll even see or here a thing. ..get up for a cheap pint r two and enjoy the game...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Syferus

Quote from: illdecide on July 03, 2015, 01:11:19 AM
I think a lot of ye are getting caught up on this 12th thing...its not that bad and the way you'd be coming in I doubt you'll even see or here a thing. ..get up for a cheap pint r two and enjoy the game...

It's no worse than an average match-day trying to get to Salthill for a Galwayman anyways.

twohands!!!

I'd have the lukewarmism support Galway can get as the main factor, the performance in the Mayo game and the long-distance of the trip as the big factors - the 12th thing would be the kinda cherry on top for folks. Easier for folk to mention the 12th thing to justify not travelling as opposed to saying they couldn't be arsed making the trip.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 03, 2015, 09:04:21 AM

I'd have the lukewarmism support Galway can get as the main factor, the performance in the Mayo game and the long-distance of the trip as the big factors - the 12th thing would be the kinda cherry on top for folks. Easier for folk to mention the 12th thing to justify not travelling as opposed to saying they couldn't be arsed making the trip.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that Galway people were unhappy about the performance against Mayo. Losing by 4 to what is perceived as a top 4 side is hardly a disaster. Not happy to lose obviously but I think most people I spoke to since were happy enough with the effort and application. Just regretting some basic errors that would have made it an extremely close finish. Now 2 years ago you might have had a point when there wasn't anything to take away from the game at all.

Lecale2

Venues and times to be confirmed on Monday but CCC are seriously considering fixing this game for Clones due to a band parade in Armagh city on 11th July.

I would have thought an early throw in at 2.00pm would have worked.

armaghniac

Could they not play in Cross' where the 12th is not an important day in the calendar? Would Galway be any bigger than the Donegal game 5 years ago?

general_lee

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on July 03, 2015, 11:31:46 AM
Jesus Christ it's not Beirut

Are you referring to Cross' or Armagh City :)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
Could they not play in Cross' where the 12th is not an important day in the calendar? Would Galway be any bigger than the Donegal game 5 years ago?

That would make plenty of sense. You won't have more that 5-6000 at the given with people away and the opposition fans not travelling. Not likely though for the GAA to make a sensible decision.