Tyrone v Meath round 2 qualifiers 11th July 2015

Started by orangeman, June 29, 2015, 08:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Lurley

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2015, 04:41:11 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 30, 2015, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2015, 01:20:55 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 30, 2015, 12:51:57 PM
The anti Northern feeling will become evident from those in the south for this game. They'll hide behind various things but the truth is that many down south can't take it when a Northern team (including Donegal) beats them. It's because of a media campaign that poisoned southerners minds into having a mistrust of northerners.
You see the mindset replicated when it comes to Gaelic Games. Tyrone win a few All Irelands and it's all puke football. Dublin and Kerry win All Irelands in a similar fashion but no word about puke football. When Meath were standing on players heads they were known as a tough, manly team. When any Northern team played physically they were dirty tramps.
Most in the south will want Meath to win this game, the only reason for this is their hatred of northerners. They can't admit to this but it's the truth. Let them hide behind all the excuses they want.
I hope Tyrone batter Meath.

That's an interesting post from a 'Laois' man. Wrong account?

I just have respect for my fellow Gaels, unlike many, including plenty in Laois and Biffoland.

I don't agree there is a lack of respect for the lads up north. In fact I think they have earned huge respect due to the obstacles they had to overcome to even tog out (although Martin McHugh seems to think the troubles were a positive!). I think that respect is fairly widespread, and I know a lot of people celebrated with Tyrone and Armagh back in the noughties.

I think there are disagreements over certain aspects of the game between Ulster counties and the rest, but that's just detail. As far as I'm concerned we're all the one, and there's no difference to me between Sligo and Tyrone.

You hear anti-northern stuff everywhere, not just in the GAA. It's a common thing. You may not notice it.
In Gaelic games it becomes obvious when a northern team becomes successful, they always have to be dragged down. The Tyrone and Armagh teams of the last decade played some great football, they had some outstanding players but all you heard about down south was that they played puke football, diving, verbals, nasty teams etc.
As I've said, none of those things were mentioned when teams like Dublin or Kerry won in similar fashion. You can even see in this thread. Meath in the 80's and 90's were one of the scumiest teams ever to play Gaelic football but many in the south respect them. You can see the different feeling people have towards Tyrone.

sligoman

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 30, 2015, 05:43:43 PM
The anti Northern feeling will become evident from those in the south for this game. They'll hide behind various things but the truth is that many down south can't take it when a Northern team (including Donegal) beats them. It's because of a media campaign that poisoned southerners minds into having a mistrust of northerners.
You see the mindset replicated when it comes to Gaelic Games. Tyrone win a few All Irelands and it's all puke football. Dublin and Kerry win All Irelands in a similar fashion but no word about puke football. When Meath were standing on players heads they were known as a tough, manly team. When any Northern team played physically they were dirty tramps.
Most in the south will want Meath to win this game, the only reason for this is their hatred of northerners. They can't admit to this but it's the truth. Let them hide behind all the excuses they want.

I just have respect for my fellow Gaels, unlike many, including plenty in Laois and Biffoland.

I don't agree there is a lack of respect for the lads up north. In fact I think they have earned huge respect due to the obstacles they had to overcome to even tog out (although Martin McHugh seems to think the troubles were a positive!). I think that respect is fairly widespread, and I know a lot of people celebrated with Tyrone and Armagh back in the noughties.

I think there are disagreements over certain aspects of the game between Ulster counties and the rest, but that's just detail. As far as I'm concerned we're all the one, and there's no difference to me between Sligo and Tyrone.

You hear anti-northern stuff everywhere, not just in the GAA. It's a common thing. You may not notice it.
In Gaelic games it becomes obvious when a northern team becomes successful, they always have to be dragged down. The Tyrone and Armagh teams of the last decade played some great football, they had some outstanding players but all you heard about down south was that they played puke football, diving, verbals, nasty teams etc.
As I've said, none of those things were mentioned when teams like Dublin or Kerry won in similar fashion. You can even see in this thread. Meath in the 80's and 90's were one of the scumiest teams ever to play Gaelic football but many in the south respect them. You can see the different feeling people have towards Tyrone.

Agree with this, think the Northern sides get a rough deal from the media down here and the public goes along with it. To be successful you need a certain level of nastiness and ruthlessness but I feel these facets are only put under the microscope and made a major issue of when Northern sides are involved.

royals12

sorry to burst your bubble there but meath are a lot more hated than Tyrone. were one of the only counties with atleast 4 or 5 neighbours around us who absolutely hate us( Dublin, Louth, Kildare, Westmeath) they would love nothing better than to see meath lose. In Croke park on Sunday Kildare and Dublin fans were cheering for Westmeath nearly as if they were their own, they also didn't hide their delight in slagging the meath supporters after the match and ''id rather be a paki than a royal' was also sang a fair few times by them throughout the day and night. Not only would our lovely neighbours want to see us lose to Tyrone there would be a fair few other counties in the south, Mayo being top of the list that would love to see Tyrone beat meath out the gate.

Jinxy

Quote from: sligoman on June 30, 2015, 06:06:56 PM

Agree with this, think the Northern sides get a rough deal from the media down here and the public goes along with it. To be successful you need a certain level of nastiness and ruthlessness but I feel these facets are only put under the microscope and made a major issue of when Northern sides are involved.

Nonsense, there's great respect for Down.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 29, 2015, 10:40:39 AM
On page 2 already.

With all the anti Tyrone chat from Meath assholes on here I'm delighted with this draw though would have nearly preferred it in Navan but there will be some atmosphere in Omagh for this one. A big step up from yesterdays damp squib.

The amount of sh*te talked about us being British and the Queen we'll now see how many of them will have the balls to come to Omagh on the 11th night for some of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0dnkYlL-g

what assholes and anti Tyrone chat? so you also think that we should be in fear going up to Omagh? It seems that you would nearly relish something to happen to your fellow GAA supporters.

i havent been on here for a while, seems that I didn't miss much.. northern bitterness still alive and well.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2015, 09:29:00 PM

Hmm thats strange logic I would have zero respect for a team that been beaten by a team freshly relegated to Div4

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 30, 2015, 05:43:43 PMThe Tyrone and Armagh teams of the last decade played some great football, they had some outstanding players

Not really. Just a team of grafters who were taught to unsettle the opposition by hitting them hard and late. I'll give respect to those Tyrone players for actually having skill, but not Armagh. Ronan Clarke and Oisin McConville were their only legit players.

omaghjoe

Quote from: agorm on June 30, 2015, 10:04:57 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 29, 2015, 10:40:39 AM
On page 2 already.

With all the anti Tyrone chat from Meath assholes on here I'm delighted with this draw though would have nearly preferred it in Navan but there will be some atmosphere in Omagh for this one. A big step up from yesterdays damp squib.

The amount of sh*te talked about us being British and the Queen we'll now see how many of them will have the balls to come to Omagh on the 11th night for some of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0dnkYlL-g

what assholes and anti Tyrone chat? so you also think that we should be in fear going up to Omagh? It seems that you would nearly relish something to happen to your fellow GAA supporters.

i havent been on here for a while, seems that I didn't miss much.. northern bitterness still alive and well.

Sounds like someone is getting a shudder up their spine at the thought of leaving their  cul de sac in Ratoath.

Martin....I genuinely hate to give it to ye but....

Jinxy

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 30, 2015, 10:10:16 PM

Hmm thats strange logic I would have zero respect for a team that been beaten by a team freshly relegated to Div4

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

omaghjoe

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 30, 2015, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 30, 2015, 05:43:43 PMThe Tyrone and Armagh teams of the last decade played some great football, they had some outstanding players

Not really. Just a team of grafters who were taught to unsettle the opposition by hitting them hard and late. I'll give respect to those Tyrone players for actually having skill, but not Armagh. Ronan Clarke and Oisin McConville were their only legit players.

If we're given credit where its due you'd have to put McDonnell and McGrane on there as well.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2015, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 30, 2015, 10:10:16 PM

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Hmm... no provincial title in over 20 years and only 1 final appearance in the last 10 where they were beat of the park. What would you class that?

Farrandeelin

Was it in 1996 this rivalry all kicked off?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2015, 10:30:42 PM
Was it in 1996 this rivalry all kicked off?

We were pretty busy that year.
Made a lot of friends.

laceer

Fair play easytiger-had a good chuckle reading that