Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Nice phota Sy.

There was one in a paper today of a young Sligo fan taking a selfie with The Bear.

macdanger2

Who the f*ck was yer man giving Keith Higgins the cup?? Some man for talking rubbish, he'd remind you of a boring hoor at a wedding or something

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 20, 2015, 11:50:45 PM
Who the f*ck was yer man giving Keith Higgins the cup?? Some man for talking rubbish, he'd remind you of a boring hoor at a wedding or something

The Rossie obsession doesn't end with ye lads!! Mick Rock, your Connacht GAA president, is the man you're insulting I assume.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 12:18:03 AM

The Rossie obsession doesn't end with ye lads!! Mick Rock, your Connacht GAA president, is the man you're insulting I assume.

Must be, you'd swear he was making an acceptance speech the way he went on

Farrandeelin

Considering he didn't know who he was, it's hard to find a 'Rossie twist' to that one... Carry on regardless. Btw is he any relation to Jim Rock who's involved in Castlebar Mitchels?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 21, 2015, 02:32:09 AM

Must be, you'd swear he was making an acceptance speech the way he went on
Second captains did a skit on it. Mick Rock...great name it must be said, solid.

magpie seanie

Sorry for not posting til now - I'm not the type for ducking but just didn't get a minute to do it. Congrats to Mayo. Very strong all over and it will take a really, really good team to beat them. That game did them no good though. It was a disgrace and I lay the vast majority of the blame at the management's door. As Mano rightly said - we were lambs to the slaughter with absolutely no game plan. Some in Sligo are willing to give management a free pass because we've made some progress (weren't fighting relegation and beat a dreadful and totally complacent Roscommon team) but the magnitude of the mistakes must surely be taken into account. I never believed we'd win the game and didn't even back Sligo +7 but thought we'd be competitive. We should have been.

As for Hyde Park - thought it was grand. I took a longer route than most and had literally no traffic. Met a few sound Mayo folk (honestly - they exist - who knew!!!!) behind the goal at the town end who in a funny way made the debacle slightly less painful. They were sympathetic but Gaels (who know everyone has their pride) so they tried not to be, if you get my meaning. I'll remember them for that. Got a bagful of free protein shakes which was possibly the highlight of the day!!!!

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 22, 2015, 12:16:47 AM
Sorry for not posting til now - I'm not the type for ducking but just didn't get a minute to do it. Congrats to Mayo. Very strong all over and it will take a really, really good team to beat them. That game did them no good though. It was a disgrace and I lay the vast majority of the blame at the management's door. As Mano rightly said - we were lambs to the slaughter with absolutely no game plan. Some in Sligo are willing to give management a free pass because we've made some progress (weren't fighting relegation and beat a dreadful and totally complacent Roscommon team) but the magnitude of the mistakes must surely be taken into account. I never believed we'd win the game and didn't even back Sligo +7 but thought we'd be competitive. We should have been.

As for Hyde Park - thought it was grand. I took a longer route than most and had literally no traffic. Met a few sound Mayo folk (honestly - they exist - who knew!!!!) behind the goal at the town end who in a funny way made the debacle slightly less painful. They were sympathetic but Gaels (who know everyone has their pride) so they tried not to be, if you get my meaning. I'll remember them for that. Got a bagful of free protein shakes which was possibly the highlight of the day!!!!

Could have been my gang Magpie! We were there.

I dunno how ye could have been more competitive though. Forwards did very well. But it was always going to be a hard game to manage for Sligo. This Mayo team does not get much respect ( no Mayo team ever does really), but they are  probably the best we ve seen. Galway 98 - 01 would not have done that to a Sligo team. Neither would Ros 77-80. 

I remember the 2002? final v Galway in Castlebar. Sligo had a real shout in that game. I was iffy about the way they set up. Cosgrave was left picking up Joyce. I remember shouting 'he s done him' when Joyce got behind him while the ball was in flight. That decided it but back then things were different.

Lots of good footballers on that Sligo team. The problem is though getting bigger men that can play as well. Conditioning and getting promoted. For a start I d have that full back in midfield where he can play a bit of football ( which he can) rather than have him hung out to dry at fb. I don t think Sligo need to beat themselves up too much.

Rossfan

Good to see someone praising Hyde Pk Seànie :)
Note your comment about us but we effd up against Fermanagh too so we have problems.
I hope you stayed to the end for the players' sakes. Big chat on Shannonside yesterday about the Sligo ( bandwagon) supporters leaving so early.( Finnegan the smug Rhu making a meal of it but had to admit his sons refuse to wear Rhu jerseys. Told him they were Rossies and only wear the Primrose and Blue ;D)
Good luck v Tyrone, hope ye can restore a bit of pride.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

I thought the same thing myself...he reminded me of that priest with the mustache from Father Ted who had to bore the arse of everyone

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on July 22, 2015, 01:01:28 AM

I dunno how ye could have been more competitive though. Forwards did very well. But it was always going to be a hard game to manage for Sligo. This Mayo team does not get much respect ( no Mayo team ever does really), but they are  probably the best we ve seen. Galway 98 - 01 would not have done that to a Sligo team.

Markievicz Park 2000

SLIGO 0-4 GALWAY 0-22

magpie seanie

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 22, 2015, 03:23:33 AM

I dunno how ye could have been more competitive though. Forwards did very well. But it was always going to be a hard game to manage for Sligo. This Mayo team does not get much respect ( no Mayo team ever does really), but they are  probably the best we ve seen. Galway 98 - 01 would not have done that to a Sligo team.

Markievicz Park 2000

SLIGO 0-4 GALWAY 0-22

Thanks GBB, needed reminding of that one. Poured down rain too that day to add to our woes.

mylestheslasher

The sligo management should take a lot of blame for the nature of the defeat although no matter what they did they still would have been beaten. The fact is Mayo are a way better team than Sligo and it wouldve taken a really really complacent approach by mayo to let Sligo have a sniff. It was obvious early doors that that wasnt going to happen.

Felt very sorry for the Sligo FB line who were afforded no protection by the way the team set up and out the field there was also no presure on the ball going in. Add to that the fact that Mayo were wise to Sligos kick out strategy to such an extend as I swear the Sligo keeper was scratching his head for half the match.

I Mayo played Dublin or Kerry in the morning, even with the players at their disposal, they would not leave Aidan O Shea one to one within 20m of the goals - Why Sligos management thought that was a good idea is incredible.

sligoman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 22, 2015, 03:23:33 AM

Markievicz Park 2000

SLIGO 0-4 GALWAY 0-22

I'll never forget that day. Lashing rain, think Galway had 14 points on the scoreboard before we finally registered one, Neil Finnegan putting them over from all angles. We had just beaten Mayo in the QF at Markieveicz and would have went into that game with a good deal of confidence.

It was probably worse than Sunday as we had a good team back then and would strongly have fancied taking Galway.

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2015, 01:19:17 AM
I hope you stayed to the end for the players' sakes. Big chat on Shannonside yesterday about the Sligo ( bandwagon) supporters leaving so early.

Where I was, very few Sligo supporters left early which is a credit to them given the scoreline. I was at the Munster final last year and half way through the second half, a small shower of rain nearly emptied the place of Cork supporters