Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Thought it a great gesture by AOS not to celebrate his goals what with it being the 100th year anniversary of The Wild Swans At Coole poem.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mayo4Sam14

Any word on Seamus O'Shea? Was he injured? Will he be ready for Donegal?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Duine Eile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 20, 2015, 12:46:00 PM
Any word on Seamus O'Shea? Was he injured? Will he be ready for Donegal?

Not giving the neighbours much of a chance against Donegal then!  :P

macdanger2

Just a note on the Hyde - considering the rain, the pitch held up well yesterday, we were on it afterwards and it was in very good nick. Traffic wasn't too bad getting in and out either (a breeze compared to Salthill) but the terrace is a complete disaster when you have kids with you - we were in early and stood right down at the front but there's a load of f*cking hoardings blocking the view for kids. I won't be back with young ones again til it's redeveloped

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2015, 12:07:13 PM
Thought it a great gesture by AOS not to celebrate his goals what with it being the 100th year anniversary of The Wild Swans At Coole poem.

May I say O'Neill it is very considerate of you to acknowledge his great gesture. It means a lot to the people of Mayo and further afield.

moysider

Thought the pitch was heavy and the grass/clover on the long side. Very uneven surface in places.  How we scored 6-25 on that surface I ll never know. Also testament to the conditioning of players like Boyle. Doc, DOC, Parsons etc that could go for 70mins on that leg sapping surface.

Delighted by nearly everything yesterday. Everything has been said already probably.

Yes the team has come on since Horan. Tom Parsons was my motm. It s like getting an extra 5-10% if he can remain fit and well. Clarkey back is huge too. DOC a huge find.

We re set up better and conceding 2- 11 was down to individual problems rather than a system failure. Arguably our 3 poorest performers were in the full back line.  Marren gave zippy enough of it and both Caff and Cunniffe did a bit of flapping. Tom is terrible with the ball in the air. Would Barrett and Keane improve things? Whoever is there needs to man up.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 06:23:02 PM
Looks like Mayos next match will be on sky. Not good for the armchair fans.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/07/20/4039028-mayo-gaa-fans-dismayed-over-tv-bombshell/
Should mean more supporters will travel or the armchair supporters will be forced to watch the game in the pub?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dubhaltach

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 20, 2015, 10:35:41 AM
Great win yesterday, facile and all as it turned out to be. Five Connacht titles in a row is a massive achievement. Well done to the team and to H&C – a Connacht title and retaining D1 status was about what I had hoped for at the start of the year.

Tough day for Sligo yesterday, not nice getting a pasting like that as us Mayo fans know all too well. Hopefully they can regroup and beat Tyrone the next day. Apart from the lack of a plan to deal with AOS, the 5 years worth of top class S&C training by the Mayo players made the difference yesterday.

From a Mayo perspective, the good points were:

- AOS and COC were both excellent, they won't get that kind of space against the likes of Donegal but having the two of them up in the forwards along with Andy is definitely an improvement on the options we've had up to now
- DOC was very good in the first half, great movement, hard work and 4 points
- Parsons was v good as was B Moran when he came on. Was SOS injured or what?
- It was good to see Mayo working on the short kickouts even though we were dominating at MF, that's presumably with an eye on later in the year. Clarke was v good overall especially his save in the 1st half
- The forward line played much more as a unit, plenty of running off the shoulder and players making themselves available for a pass
- No new injuries

Things to work on:
- The FB line – conceded two goals and could easily have been 2-3 more. We'll win no All Ireland leaking goals. Caff & Cunniffe were both poor I thought, made a few individual mistakes that will lose matches. Even when we had an extra man back, he didn't seem to know what he was doing
- The quality of ball into AOS was patchy enough, some very good balls (esp the pass from COC out on the sideline for his 3rd goal) but some awful balls too even if AOS managed to salvage possession. Against the best defences, those balls will be swallowed up by the backs in demoralising fashion

So we're looking at the winners of Galway v Donegal in a QF – if both Galway & Tyrone win, are we still down to play Galway or would there be a draw to see who plays Mayo / Monaghan?

If both Galway and Tyrone win, Mayo will play Tyrone as repeat pairings are prevented where possible.

moysider

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/07/20/4039028-mayo-gaa-fans-dismayed-over-tv-bombshell/

Tut, tut tv bombshell my arse.

Yeah there might be a few housebound older people affected and that's a shame.
But everybody else can go watch the game if they choose to. Sky paid good money to cover these games and their coverage is quite good. Am I missing something?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 09:43:03 PM

Tut, tut tv bombshell my arse.

Yeah there might be a few housebound older people affected and that's a shame.
But everybody else can go watch the game if they choose to. Sky paid good money to cover these games and their coverage is quite good. Am I missing something?

Hardly a bombshell either. It was well known in advance that the quarter finals on August the 8th, which Mayo had hopes of getting there were on Sky. It is a pity on those who cannot go, or people who are tied to things and don't have sky. But it isn't a 'bombshell'.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

No they are dead right.  This super free scoring mayo juggernaut with the new keiran Donaghy on board are  only available to the privileged few. Last year they took them to limerick also....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rrhf on July 20, 2015, 09:49:01 PM
No they are dead right.  This super free scoring mayo juggernaut with the new keiran Donaghy on board are  only available to the privileged few. Last year they took them to limerick also....

Aw well, it will be the last we will ever see of the Mayo juggernaut this year if last year in Limerick is anything to go by... I'm sure that's what you're getting at.  ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Syferus

Aidan O'Shea being marked during yesterday's game: