Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 24, 2015, 11:48:34 PM

The terraces would be great for sowing a few rows of spuds.

Not so bad. The guy that built the stand in the next parish must have thought he was building a viewing platform for nuclear bomb tests  - so he built her well back.

It d be a shame to do anything with her now. Archaeologists and botanists could have great craic around there.

By the way Farr.. see those long concrete yokes on little stilts? we ll they are part of the stand too. Ye re supposed to sit on those. That s the fancy part of the ground.

muppet

The Hyde is a hole, it was in poor condition for the Mitchels v Bridgets game in 2013 and I hope, but doubt, it is much better now. If the Hyde is good enough with a capactiy of 20,000, then we should play it in Sligo with their 18,500.

I am kinda gald it is isn't in Castlebar as it simply wouldn't be fair to Sligo. I was looking forward to Galway as it suited that weekend.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on June 25, 2015, 01:23:51 AM
The Hyde is a hole, it was in poor condition for the Mitchels v Bridgets game in 2013 and I hope, but doubt, it is much better now. If the Hyde is good enough with a capactiy of 20,000, then we should play it in Sligo with their 18,500.

I am kinda gald it is isn't in Castlebar as it simply wouldn't be fair to Sligo. I was looking forward to Galway as it suited that weekend.

Marky doesn't hold that much.

weareros

Will Enda be in need of a mossy concrete seat to see the famous  5 in a row. With space tight, we'll have to make sure Frank Feighan is there to elbow people out of the way.

Tubberman

Just heard on radio that Sligo may be appealing the decision to hold it in the Hyde!
Apparently they asked for pearse stadium. Curiouser and curiouser...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2015, 07:15:03 AM
Just heard on radio that Sligo may be appealing the decision to hold it in the Hyde!
Apparently they asked for pearse stadium. Curiouser and curiouser...
Holy smoke! That's mad altogether. Maybe Ros did a FIFAesque deal? ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

Interesting all right, I will say one thing our last few Connacht finals have had 23,000 average attendance, id be expecting a bigger Sligo crowd than 2012 but obviously nothing close to the 17,000 for 2010. Id say demand in Sligo will be between 10,000 and 13,000 and with mayos demand that would easily exceed 20,000 capacity for the Hyde final. So not everyone will get a ticket. If Sligo have choice this time why did the CC ignore that rule and not even let Sligo know before making the decision. If true that is. 
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mrhardyannual

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 25, 2015, 08:26:20 AM
Interesting all right, I will say one thing our last few Connacht finals have had 23,000 average attendance, id be expecting a bigger Sligo crowd than 2012 but obviously nothing close to the 17,000 for 2010. Id say demand in Sligo will be between 10,000 and 13,000 and with mayos demand that would easily exceed 20,000 capacity for the Hyde final. So not everyone will get a ticket. If Sligo have choice this time why did the CC ignore that rule and not even let Sligo know before making the decision. If true that is. 

Anyone who attended the recent Galway v Mayo game would know why. Cars were jammed on the road into Galway for hours. Tuam was a logjam. If you add all the Sligo traffic that has to travel the same N17 route then chaos is to be expected. Sligo are entitled to have the game played at a neutral venue. They are not entitled to cause unnecessary hardship to travelling supporters. Commonsense may not be that common but its good to see that the Connacht Council still retains a modicum of it.

Jinxy

The Hyde is more of an ecosystem than a football stadium really.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

twohands!!!

Have to wonder if this decision would have been made if one central body was in charge as opposed to the provincial council ?

Rossfan

Then there wouldn't be a Connacht Final.
Sligo Co Board prefers to send their supporters on a ten hour journey to Salthill????
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: mrhardyannual on June 25, 2015, 08:48:45 AM

Anyone who attended the recent Galway v Mayo game would know why. Cars were jammed on the road into Galway for hours. Tuam was a logjam. If you add all the Sligo traffic that has to travel the same N17 route then chaos is to be expected. Sligo are entitled to have the game played at a neutral venue. They are not entitled to cause unnecessary hardship to travelling supporters. Commonsense may not be that common but its good to see that the Connacht Council still retains a modicum of it.

I was actually heading back to Sligo from Salthill around midday that day and the traffic going the other way was simply chronic. Salthill would be a complete disaster, especially getting back to north Sligo after a 4pm throw in.

magpie seanie

Are you sure about those figures? They look a good bit on the high side to me. There couldn't have been 17,000 Sligo people at the final in 2010. I know it was the bandwagon to beat all bandwagons but the population of the county is only about 55k.

highorlow

Looking at that Indo Article the Connacht Council appear to have done the classic mandarin routine getting an Event Management Company / Consultant involved. They are sub-contracting any chaos so the blame and complaints can be 'buck passed'.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go