Brawl in Waterford Dungarvan v Mount Sion

Started by AZOffaly, June 22, 2015, 01:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

One of the cowardliest most dangerous strokes with a hurley I ever saw. I think it was the Mount Sion #9, if that's Austin Gleeson he deserves a long ban for that. That's a serious, serious belt and could have had horrible consequences. 5-6 seconds in.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-waterford-club-hurling-championship-match-marred-by-violent-scenes-as-mass-schemozzle-breaks-out/500650

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2015, 01:14:58 PM
One of the cowardliest most dangerous strokes with a hurley I ever saw. I think it was the Mount Sion #9, if that's Austin Gleeson he deserves a long ban for that. That's a serious, serious belt and could have had horrible consequences. 5-6 seconds in.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-waterford-club-hurling-championship-match-marred-by-violent-scenes-as-mass-schemozzle-breaks-out/500650

that was a horrible act and the consequences of that could and in my view should go beyond the realms of the sporting sanction. 

macdanger2

AZOffaly

Yeah. Looked like a hatchet chop with the hurley right onto his neck/collar bone.

macdanger2

Looked bad alright, presume yer man is ok

deiseach

It seems to have dragged on for several minutes, as many as eight. You'd think both teams should be drummed out if that's the case.

Edit: it seems Austin Gleeson was wearing number 6 for Mount Sion.

AZOffaly

I thought it looked like the ref sent both teams to their corners for a chat before he restarted the game. Maybe that contributed to the 8 minutes?

haveaharp

AZOffaly

In fairness to him, he was getting the usual county man treatment of 4 lads jumping on him in the row. Nothing excuses the stroke he pulled though. I hope he learns from this, he's too good a prospect to end up getting heavy suspensions.

redsetanta

Funny how the media report it as a 30 man mass brawl.
There's been far worse than that and in the annals of mass brawls at GAA games that wouldn't feature in the top 500.
Media do love to report the GAA 'mass brawl'.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

deiseach

In fairness, that was bad enough to be news. I saw a soccer lad on Twitter saying that "if that were association football it would be all over the news". What would be the equivalent of Mount Sion v Dungarvan in a soccer match?

Roashter

Quote from: deiseach on June 22, 2015, 02:41:47 PM
In fairness, that was bad enough to be news. I saw a soccer lad on Twitter saying that "if that were association football it would be all over the news". What would be the equivalent of Mount Sion v Dungarvan in a soccer match?

Galatasary v Fenerbache?

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on June 22, 2015, 02:41:47 PM

I suppose it would be a serious enough club game in the AUL or somewhere? In fairness if a soccer lad hit a fella with a hurley, it'd deserve to be all over the news. It is funny that the soccer lads think the media treat them harshly, whereas we'd think the same :) Maybe the media just treats everyone harshly.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on June 22, 2015, 02:11:40 PM
It seems to have dragged on for several minutes, as many as eight. You'd think both teams should be drummed out if that's the case.

Edit: it seems Austin Gleeson was wearing number 6 for Mount Sion.

Was just about to post that deiseach. Thanks for correcting. A lot of people, myself included, put 2 and 2 together. So number 9 didn't even get put off for that?

Apologies to Austin, obviously I have no idea what he got put off for if that's not him.

deiseach

No one on the boards thread seems to know either...