Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Started by Shrewdness, June 17, 2015, 10:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Yes
7 (9.5%)
No
16 (21.6%)
Could yet be,
30 (40.5%)
Never will be
21 (28.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: sligoman on June 19, 2015, 10:12:56 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 19, 2015, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 19, 2015, 09:55:32 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 19, 2015, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 17, 2015, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 02:09:25 PM
I don't think he's even close. He's young yet so he has plenty of time to develop but I think his all round game is lacking, he's a very reliable free taker but he needs to bring a lot more to his game than that to be one of the top full forwards in the game. He'd definitely be behind the likes of Brogan, McManus, McBrearty, O'Donoghue and O'Neill for me right now and there might be a few more along with that. O'Shea and Higgins are more important on the Mayo team at the moment, for starters.

When did they all transfer to Mayo?? Right that's it Im joining the MFS campaign right now, unbeatable with that forward line!!

Sorry Rossies.

It's a general point on O'Connor. If Mayo's greatest ever player isn't even in the top 5/6 in his position at the current time in his career then what does that tell you? Keith Higgins would have few equals across the country at the moment and likewise Aidan O'Shea and that's just current players playing today.

This Mayo team is a fine, fine team and they have lots of good players but I feel too much gets made of O'Connor in terms of what he has done. I don't know the stats on hand but his scoring seems to be heavily reliant on frees. I haven't seen anything particularly special about him, he's an excellent freetaker but he needs to improve his all round game and I appreciate he is still young and has plenty of time to do that.

It's a mad statement from Brady. Dermot Earley had some odd stat about Mayo's win rate with O'Connor as opposed to without on the Sunday Game at the weekend. O'Connor has taken part in all of Mayo's Championship defeats since 2011 as far as I'm aware?

Your point is he has played 4 games in 4 years? Because that's how many they've lost... 4

I said that Earley's statistic was strange. He pointed to some statistic that Mayo are much less likely to win without O'Connor but when it has come to Championship football O'Connor has appeared in all their Championship defeats over the past 4 years. It's obviously taking league games into account but I don't think Mayo have taken the league all that seriously over the past few years.

My point is he has played in most games

Yes of course he does but that doesn't suggest of a reliance on him to win games or Mayo are in bother if he's not there.

They are though, because who's going to kick the frees if he's not there? Hes heavily relied upon for scores, with Mayo lacking depth in forwards
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

rodney trotter

That was my point earlier. Aidan O Shea etc aren't going to be knocking up big scores.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 19, 2015, 10:30:34 PM
That was my point earlier. Aidan O Shea etc aren't going to be knocking up big scores.

Exactly

muppet

Quote from: sligoman on June 19, 2015, 09:55:32 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 19, 2015, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 17, 2015, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 02:09:25 PM
I don't think he's even close. He's young yet so he has plenty of time to develop but I think his all round game is lacking, he's a very reliable free taker but he needs to bring a lot more to his game than that to be one of the top full forwards in the game. He'd definitely be behind the likes of Brogan, McManus, McBrearty, O'Donoghue and O'Neill for me right now and there might be a few more along with that. O'Shea and Higgins are more important on the Mayo team at the moment, for starters.

When did they all transfer to Mayo?? Right that's it Im joining the MFS campaign right now, unbeatable with that forward line!!

Sorry Rossies.

It's a general point on O'Connor. If Mayo's greatest ever player isn't even in the top 5/6 in his position at the current time in his career then what does that tell you? Keith Higgins would have few equals across the country at the moment and likewise Aidan O'Shea and that's just current players playing today.

This Mayo team is a fine, fine team and they have lots of good players but I feel too much gets made of O'Connor in terms of what he has done. I don't know the stats on hand but his scoring seems to be heavily reliant on frees. I haven't seen anything particularly special about him, he's an excellent freetaker but he needs to improve his all round game and I appreciate he is still young and has plenty of time to do that.

It's a mad statement from Brady. Dermot Earley had some odd stat about Mayo's win rate with O'Connor as opposed to without on the Sunday Game at the weekend. O'Connor has taken part in all of Mayo's Championship defeats since 2011 as far as I'm aware?

Your point is he has played 4 games in 4 years? Because that's how many they've lost... 4

I said that Earley's statistic was strange. He pointed to some statistic that Mayo are much less likely to win without O'Connor but when it has come to Championship football O'Connor has appeared in all their Championship defeats over the past 4 years. It's obviously taking league games into account but I don't think Mayo have taken the league all that seriously over the past few years.

I believe he said Mayo were twice as likely to win with O'Connor than without. That doesn't mean that O'Connor never played when we lost. In that case Earley would have said Mayo never lose when O'Connor plays.

And the stat could apply to Championship only, but I haven't seen the data so I don't know.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on July 27, 2015, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 19, 2015, 10:35:18 PM

Exactly

Hmmmm.....

He'll not get it as handy again to be fair.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 27, 2015, 05:16:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 27, 2015, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 19, 2015, 10:35:18 PM

Exactly

Hmmmm.....

He'll not get it as handy again to be fair.

1-3 a game from now on and I'll be happy with him!  :D

Cillian scored 1-7 the last day and no one noticed.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

Aidan has a consistency problem.  His talent is not in question.

larryin89

Quote from: rrhf on July 28, 2015, 07:09:30 AM

He is consistently fouled and doesn't get fair game from officials , it annoys the fook out of me. It's like he is penalised for being big and robust.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2015, 07:03:03 PM

He is consistently fouled and doesn't get fair game from officials , it annoys the fook out of me. It's like he is penalised for being big and robust.

In fairness he is well able to mind himself.

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2015, 07:06:10 PM

Oh I agree but that's not what I'm saying, I mean others get fouls far easier where as with Aidan a defender seems to have licence to foul without punishment . Take finian Hanley in the Galway game , he never friggin stopped , an early yellow and aido would of bagged a couple of goals. It's a pet hate of mine this last four years tbh.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2015, 07:18:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2015, 07:06:10 PM

Oh I agree but that's not what I'm saying, I mean others get fouls far easier where as with Aidan a defender seems to have licence to foul without punishment . Take finian Hanley in the Galway game , he never friggin stopped , an early yellow and aido would of bagged a couple of goals. It's a pet hate of mine this last four years tbh.

I agree with you there

BennyCake

Whoever started this thread was obviously having a laugh.

Teo Lurley

I think those of us who said he was nowhere near the top 10 forwards in Ireland have been proved correct.

BennyHarp

He's not the greatest or anywhere near but it's a bit harsh dragging this thread up today. Ok, they were all frees but under pressure the lad has just kicked 1-9 or so in an AI semi final. Better players than him have had much worse days than that. It was vital that he continued to punish Dublins indiscipline in the tackle and he kept Mayo in touch when the game could have slipped away.
That was never a square ball!!