Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Started by Shrewdness, June 17, 2015, 10:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Yes
7 (9.5%)
No
16 (21.6%)
Could yet be,
30 (40.5%)
Never will be
21 (28.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

moysider

sligoman

James O'Donohoe played very deep in one All Ireland final. O'Connor was deployed as an out and out full forward in two. They are not really comparable.

I think you are taking things too much to heart if you are deeming what I'm saying about O'Connor as bashing. I feel he is overrated and I feel that he has a lot to prove yet, he has plenty of time on his hands to do so.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 09:21:26 PM
James O'Donohoe played very deep in one All Ireland final. O'Connor was deployed as an out and out full forward in two. They are not really comparable.

I think you are taking things too much to heart if you are deeming what I'm saying about O'Connor as bashing. I feel he is overrated and I feel that he has a lot to prove yet, he has plenty of time on his hands to do so.

Must be sh*ite so. If he was any good they'd have left him inside.

MWWSI 2017

sligoman

Is that so?

Well bringing him out deep seemed to work for Kerry on the day so I doubt O'Donoghue will be too concerned by it. Anyway, if you'd like to explain how giving an assessment that O'Connor is overrated by certain people in the game is bashing him I'd be welcome it. You only have to look at the opening post in this thread to see that.

Do you think he is Mayo's greatest every player?

Do you think he is one of the top 10 forwards in the game right now?

Shrewdness

I was the one who started this thread, so i just want to clarify something. This thread was NOT started to criticise Cillian O'Connor in any way. I was very surprised that David Brady would claim that such a young player was ''MAYO'S GREATEST EVER''.. That's why this thread has that title Rossfan, which you claimed was a daft title. I was interested to see what the Mayo posters thought of Brady's claim...As for the player himself, i believe O'Connor is an outstanding talent. I wish we had him in Roscommon. A top class free taker, a frequent goal scorer, and a lad who shows maturity beyond his years on the pitch. It's not his fault that David Brady put him in the spotlight.

BennyHarp

O'Connor is a class player and only a young lad who has the ability to go on to achieve whatever he wants in the game. Why do people have to put labels like "greatest ever" on him? It happens all the time these days, greatest ever goal, greatest ever team, team of the decade/century  etc. We live in a world of hyperbole.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Cillian O'Connor never claimed any such title. It's a bit harsh to be rubbishing him because of a claim someone else made.

There should have been one reponse to this thread, "No, not yet at least" and leave it at that.

Maroon Manc

He's a brilliant player but his record from play in both finals and the 3 semi finals apart from the Kerry semi last year isn't great. Think he only got 1 points from play in both finals and the semi's in 2012 and 2013 which is a poor return, he's been unlucky with injuries in fairness.

I'd take JOD, Murphy, McBreaty, McManus & O'Neil over him but he has time on his side to change that.

sligoman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 17, 2015, 09:36:45 PM
Cillian O'Connor never claimed any such title. It's a bit harsh to be rubbishing him because of a claim someone else made.

There should have been one reponse to this thread, "No, not yet at least" and leave it at that.

Who has rubbished him here?

Has anyone said he is useless? Some people have voiced an opinion that they feel he is not as good as is made out, of course that's not O'Connor's fault but should that stop people from saying that they feel he is a bit overrated?

I don't think he contributes enough from open play, I don't think defenders or managers would worry about him as much from open play as some of the other top forwards in the game. I'll pay credit to his free taking ability and his nerve and consistency with it but to be ranked as one of the best forward in the game then I feel he needs to show more. That is not bashing him, he is young and can improve.

AZOffaly

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 09:45:12 PM

Has anyone said he is useless? Some people have voiced an opinion that they feel he is not as good as is made out, of course that's not O'Connor's fault but should that stop people from saying that they feel he is a bit overrated?

I don't think he contributes enough from open play, I don't think defenders or managers would worry about him as much from open play as some of the other top forwards in the game. I'll pay credit to his free taking ability and his nerve and consistency with it but to be ranked as one of the best forward in the game then I feel he needs to show more. That is not bashing him, he is young and can improve.

Read back a few of the other comments.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 17, 2015, 09:34:27 PM
I was the one who started this thread, so i just want to clarify something. This thread was NOT started to criticise Cillian O'Connor in any way. I was very surprised that David Brady would claim that such a young player was ''MAYO'S GREATEST EVER''.. That's why this thread has that title Rossfan, which you claimed was a daft title. I was interested to see what the Mayo posters thought of Brady's claim...As for the player himself, i believe O'Connor is an outstanding talent. I wish we had him in Roscommon. A top class free taker, a frequent goal scorer, and a lad who shows maturity beyond his years on the pitch. It's not his fault that David Brady put him in the spotlight.

Come on now Shrewdness, you have to take responsibility for your actions. You knew well what you were at with this thread and don't try to back out of it now. Besides; even if you did have COC in Roscommon he'd barely make your bench with all the under-age talent you've had coming on-stream in recent years.

As for David Brady saying Cillian was the best Mayo player ever, it's like when Frank Sinatra said Tony Bennett was the best singer in the world. Sinatra was the only man who could say that, just as it's only David Brady who can say who Mayo's Greatest-Ever Player is.

sligoman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 17, 2015, 09:47:36 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 09:45:12 PM

Read back a few of the other comments.

I don't see any that have rubbished him, there have been a few which have questioned his contribution from open play which I feel is a very valid point but I must have missed the ones where people called him useless.

Shrewdness

Iolarcoiscuain, i'm not trying to back out of anything. As for your comments about O'Connor and Roscommon, stop talking bullshit.

moysider

If James Horan didn t like townies like Evan Regan we wouldn t be havin this row 8)

Sheesh - have I just started another one :'(

From the Bunker

Sorry, in case you missed this earlier.............