Watching Sky Go abroad & transferring from Ipad to TV?

Started by offtheground, June 16, 2015, 04:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offtheground

Heading abroad next week - so going to try Smart DNS to use SKY GO to watch the US open. - good man Beagslife (old thread from last year on the GAA discussion side of the house)

Does anyone know how to transfer SKY GO from Ipad (not jailbroken) to a TV? Is there a cable i can get, or another way of casting it to the TV?

[/quote]

Hi J OGorman,

I don't know much about Hola but I live in Portugal and for a number of years, I've had to head to the local Irish bar for the big games. In recent years however, it's become easier to watch the live games, in the comfort of your own home. That's not to say, that visits to the Irish bar don't still happen on occasion!

If you haven't gone with the GAAGo service, or Hola, why not consider a cheap option, which is much more reliable than the many free streams available online.

The service I use, allows me to watch the full RTE coverage, AerTV (live Irish channels), SkyGo, BBC etc, without having to use a full VPN service.

OverPlay SmartDNS lets you watch all of the above services and more, wherever you are in the world. It bypasses the geo-blocking on most tv streaming sites.

I pay US$5 (€3.90) a month through PayPal for their SmartDNS service. It can be started/stopped every other month if needed. They offer good customer support and the site has helpful guides for setting up the service.

Once set up, you can use it on a pc, smartphone, iPad, smart tv etc. Alternatively you can set it up on your router, so that all devices using the router get the benefit. It doesn't affect your download speeds.

To watch on the big screen, I use a mini pc connected up to my HDTV. You can also use a linked laptop, or even some blu-ray players with good browser capabilities. Some Samsung smart tv's and blu-ray players can even have the RTE Player App loaded. But that's a story for another day. PM me if you need more info on it.

I use either the RTE live streams on the RTE Player, or AerTV.ie (now subscription based for HD channels - €6 per month) to watch most of the GAA. If you have SkyGo, it also works outside of Ireland, or the UK. Similarly it works with Netflix (you can even change to the US version), BBC iPlayer (when outside the UK), Hulu and BeIn Sports (for Premiership football) etc.

I hope the above helps your or someone else, to enjoy the rest of the Championship drama as it unfolds.

Up Donegal!!!
[/quote]

BennyHarp

Not sure how feasible this is abroad but I use an Apple TV box to mirror my iPad on the TV. If you have a laptop, Skygo can easily be accessed and connected via a HDMI. Probably not much help but that's how I do it for the gaago!
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Don't think it's possible I'm afraid.

I have Skygo on the iPad (the parents) and I've tried to connect it to the TV through a HDMI cable and it blocks me. I just end up watching it on the iPad. It's usually sports anyway so the Missus doesn't mind.

offtheground

Cheers lads,
I've never used Smart DNS, so am hoping it works.

I really don't mind if I have to watch the golf on the iPad, at least I should get some peace.

JoG2

last summer in Spain I ended up buying 2 qf games on Gaa go.  Apart from it being expensive, not working on a Kindle HD (ended up using another tablet), it was fierce stuttery. Was nowhere near an Irish bar showing the game, so better than nothing :-)

JoG2

Re watching Sky. I just tested casting Sky Sports through Kodi (using Phoenix ). Worked a treat. Maybe an option