Clerys O'Connell St is no more

Started by armaghniac, June 12, 2015, 09:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Clerys of O'Connell St, Dublin 1, home of a department store since 1854, has closed,

Will there be no relic of the oul dacency?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Over the Bar

Thanks to the shop-workers Union!   12 euros an hour min wage and double time on Sundays! 

armaghniac

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 13, 2015, 12:44:42 AM
Thanks to the shop-workers Union!   12 euros an hour min wage and double time on Sundays!

If workers don't earn anything there will be nobody to buy stuff in the shops.

A more likely cause is the authorities allowing the place become overrun with druggies and bowsies of all sorts rather than anyone who works for a living.

easytiger95

O'Connell Street now is actually a much safer thoroughfare than it was 10 years ago, the "druggies and bowsies" migrated mainly to the liffey boardwalk. Of course, the reason for all the addicts in Dublin city centre is the centralisation of the methadone clinics in Marlborough Street and Townsend Street.

I won't hugely miss Clerys - inside it had become very rundown and tatty. I hope whatever goes in there though preserves the facade of the building, which is iconic. O'Connell St doesn't need another knockdown/redevelopment job.

armaghniac

It seems that it was the usual blight of overpriced property. They bought a neighbouring building in the boom, this bust them.

easytiger95

Long slow decline for them, think they were doomed a long way out - the big one stop shop model just didn't work anymore. Arnotts went through the same a few years back, but they seem to have got back to profitability under new management.

Shamrock Shore

Nuns will have to get their unmentionables online from now on.

Arnotts is even fuckeder but still it's open.

Shame to see Cleary's go under. Been there a long time and 'Under Cleary's Clock' is where manys a romance started.

Nigel White

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 13, 2015, 12:11:06 PM
Long slow decline for them, think they were doomed a long way out - the big one stop shop model just didn't work anymore. Arnotts went through the same a few years back, but they seem to have got back to profitability under new management.
This model seems to work okay for Debenhams

easytiger95

I'm talking furniture, homeware, lighting, appliances etc all that kind of stuff. Debenhams don't do anywhere near as extensive a range as Clerys did or Arnotts still do.

Nigel White

I think the issue is that the single store model cant compete with the multi store model.  Lots of big stores have closed, Anderson & McCauley, Robinson & Cleaver in Belfast to name a couple. Mind you McIlhinneys in Ballybofey still seems to be doing well

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 13, 2015, 12:15:53 PM

Shame to see Cleary's go under. Been there a long time and 'Under Cleary's Clock' is where manys a romance started.

I met a young one one night and arranged to meet her under Cleary's Clock the next day. This was life before mobile phones. I was under the clock when I thought maybe it was Eason's clock, I then spent the next half an hour running between the two clocks. Fecking bitch never turned up!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Syferus

Meh.

Someone will revive this and no one will shop in it again and it'll close again. It's like a boring roller-coaster.

armaghniac

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 13, 2015, 05:58:39 PM

I met a young one one night and arranged to meet her under Cleary's Clock the next day. This was life before mobile phones. I was under the clock when I thought maybe it was Eason's clock, I then spent the next half an hour running between the two clocks. Fecking bitch never turned up!

I met this young one under the Irish Times clock and she was giving out yards that some waster from the midlands hadn't shown up. I had to comfort her.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on June 13, 2015, 06:31:08 PM
Meh.

Someone will revive this and no one will shop in it again and it'll close again. It's like a boring roller-coaster.
It was no match for Boles of Boyle I guess.

mouview

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2015, 07:10:35 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 13, 2015, 05:58:39 PM

I met this young one under the Irish Times clock and she was giving out yards that some waster from the midlands hadn't shown up. I had to comfort her.

;D ;D ;D