Started by davegaasportsdesk, June 09, 2015, 06:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2015, 11:11:47 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 11:01:24 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2015, 11:00:50 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 09, 2015, 10:51:33 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2015, 10:48:19 PM
Is there a decent Kerry footballer who has never won an AI?

Karl O'Dwyer

Connie Murphy?

AOVI?

Agent Orange Victims International?

Connie Murprhy won an All Star but don't think he won an AI. Any other Kerryman have that unusual achievement. I suspect he is shunned down there and keeps a low profile.

He is the only one. Maurice Fitz joined him with that honour until 1997 ( :().
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2015, 11:05:03 PM

Karl O'Dwyer

Connie Murphy?

AOVI?
What was O'Dwyer's story, was he a late bloomer he wasn't on the radar until he played for Kildare?

Played the 92 Munster Final against Clare and was scapegoated and frozen out after that.

Connie Murphy and Karl O'Dwyer are the two Kerrymen with All Stars but no All Irelands.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Itchy

Astonishingly Larry Reilly never won an all Ireland but he probably just wasn't that bothered

moysider

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 09, 2015, 11:19:43 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2015, 11:05:03 PM

Karl O'Dwyer

Connie Murphy?

AOVI?
What was O'Dwyer's story, was he a late bloomer he wasn't on the radar until he played for Kildare?

Played the 92 Munster Final against Clare and was scapegoated and frozen out after that.

Connie Murphy and Karl O'Dwyer are the two Kerrymen with All Stars but no All Irelands.

Jaysus, those 2 must be a laughing stock down there in the land of plenty.

sligoman

McDonald
Paddy Bradley
O'Hara
Coulter
Michael Meehan

They'd be my 5 of recent times.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman on June 09, 2015, 11:37:05 PM
McDonald
Paddy Bradley
O'Hara
Coulter
Michael Meehan

They'd be my 5 of recent times.

Yip some serious talent there. Throw in Tony Mc and that would be some front 6.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

A good few lads like Coulter, Meehan,  Treanor , etc,  etc had a chance of winning an AI because of the team/county they were with...it didn't happen for one reason or another. The unfortunate lads are the ones who never had a chance in hell of ever winning one. The lads who because of where they were born would never win an All Ireland but who were as good as any player that ever won one. Declan Brown, Matty Forde, Paul Barden, Peter McGennity, John Galvin.
The Aristocrat Years

twohands!!!

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 09, 2015, 11:48:42 PM
A good few lads like Coulter, Meehan,  Treanor , etc,  etc had a chance of winning an AI because of the team/county they were with...it didn't happen for one reason or another. The unfortunate lads are the ones who never had a chance in hell of ever winning one. The lads who because of where they were born would never win an All Ireland but who were as good as any player that ever won one. Declan Brown, Matty Forde, Paul Barden, Peter McGennity, John Galvin.

Understand the point you're making but on John Galvin I have heard he was actually born in Kerry and his family moved over the border to Limerick when he was a young lad. Not 100% - anyone heard anything similar?

Himself and Darragh O'Se as a midfield would have been some pairing.

Ball Hopper

Who would have the most All-Star awards and not have won an AI medal is a tasty quiz night six marker...anyone know how to research that?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 10, 2015, 08:03:50 AM
Who would have the most All-Star awards and not have won an AI medal is a tasty quiz night six marker...anyone know how to research that?
I dont know the answer, but Eugene McKenna has 3 allstars and no allireland
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Ball Hopper

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 10, 2015, 08:21:51 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 10, 2015, 08:03:50 AM
I dont know the answer, but Eugene McKenna has 3 allstars and no allireland

As does Monaghan's Eugene Hughes...

blanketattack

Quote from: Zulu on June 09, 2015, 09:24:39 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on June 09, 2015, 08:57:54 PM
Anthony Lynch, Colin Corkery, Ciaran O'Sullivan, Tommy Murphy

Didn't Anthony get one?

Well he wasn't part of any match day squad in 2010, but maybe he was given one for his years of service, but I wouldn't count that if that is the case.

macdanger2

Keith Higgins has 3, hopefully he'll have a 4th and a celtic cross before he hangs up his boots

Mikasa

Ulster
Benny Coulter - Not only a great servent to Down but a nice fella to boot, superb leap on him, an eye for a goal and a leader. 2010 final got away from Down.

Paddy Bradley - Not sure if he's still Ulster Championship top scorer but a superb player and an unreal left foot.

Conor McManus, as good as the other two in my opinion. Pleasure to watch but has to operate in a different defensive environment than the above and still shines.