USFC SF: Monaghan vs. Fermanagh, Sunday June 21st 2015 at 4pm, TBC

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 05, 2015, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOptimist

Quote from: Schkite on June 18, 2015, 11:42:45 PM
Strong bench, but who is Mohan, is that the other keeper from Scotstown? It'd be unique enough I'd say to have both keepers in a county panel from the same club.

I'd still expect a change or two before throw-in aswell. Maybe someone like Owen Duffy for Carey but who knows really.
]

Fermanagh used to have this as far as I remember. The county keeper played midfield for the club I think - was it Irvinestown? Names have escaped me, Murphy and Tinney maybe?

GrandMasterFlash

Strong bench, but who is Mohan, is that the other keeper from Scotstown? It'd be unique enough I'd say to have both keepers in a county panel from the same club.

I'd still expect a change or two before throw-in aswell. Maybe someone like Owen Duffy for Carey but who knows really.

Cian Mohan, Scotstown's fourth choice keeper according to his Twitter page!  :) What's the story with Sean Duffy, is he injured or worse, dropped.. will Darren Hughes be starting in nets, what is it with Scotstown and goalkeepers??

It is a strong looking bench, as strong as I've ever seen it. Having our two best mid-fielders in the last 15 year in reserve is a good thing. Gollogly/McGuinness/O Duffy/P McKenna to come in to the forward unit could prove useful also. What's the story with Daniel McKenna, why is he not named?

Bingo

By all accounts Mohan is a very good keeper and a county panellist told me he is as good a backup keeper the county have had in a long time. He'd be getting plenty of football with Scotstown considering they have a team in Junior League as well.

Seem him clipping 45's over the bar during half time in a league match, so he has that in his armour as well.

Schkite

Quote from: Bingo on June 19, 2015, 10:08:31 AM
By all accounts Mohan is a very good keeper and a county panellist told me he is as good a backup keeper the county have had in a long time. He'd be getting plenty of football with Scotstown considering they have a team in Junior League as well.

Seem him clipping 45's over the bar during half time in a league match, so he has that in his armour as well.

Sounds like Beggan-lite so! Ah no seriously, he's obviously good if he's been called up to the panel, and it can't be easy when you have one of the best in Ulster ahead of you in the club. But what does it say about the other senior keepers that a lad has been called up ahead of them who is on the bench for his own club and plays on the junior team. Again that's no knock on the lad himself at all, he can't help it if Beggan is also there, but I think it says something about the overall standard of goalies perhaps. We've the best no. 1 we've had in a long time but the overall standard has been better in the county I would say.

Am I being too harsh here?

Bingo

Quote from: Schkite on June 19, 2015, 11:58:46 AM
Quote from: Bingo on June 19, 2015, 10:08:31 AM

Sounds like Beggan-lite so! Ah no seriously, he's obviously good if he's been called up to the panel, and it can't be easy when you have one of the best in Ulster ahead of you in the club. But what does it say about the other senior keepers that a lad has been called up ahead of them who is on the bench for his own club and plays on the junior team. Again that's no knock on the lad himself at all, he can't help it if Beggan is also there, but I think it says something about the overall standard of goalies perhaps. We've the best no. 1 we've had in a long time but the overall standard has been better in the county I would say.

Am I being too harsh here?

Probably about the reality of the situation. We've had a number of keepers in over the last few years and none of them have stayed about too long be it left the panel or replaced.

If you run through the club teams, no one stands out and has been the case that clubs themselves have played a few different keepers over time.

Kicking a massive part of it now and this probably let Enda Duffy down, he is still involved mind you and could be back the next day.

Sub keeper on a county panel must be the most frustrating job going! Lots of bench time.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 19, 2015, 09:21:18 AM

Cian Mohan, Scotstown's fourth choice keeper according to his Twitter page!  :) What's the story with Sean Duffy, is he injured or worse, dropped.. will Darren Hughes be starting in nets, what is it with Scotstown and goalkeepers??

It is a strong looking bench, as strong as I've ever seen it. Having our two best mid-fielders in the last 15 year in reserve is a good thing. Gollogly/McGuinness/O Duffy/P McKenna to come in to the forward unit could prove useful also. What's the story with Daniel McKenna, why is he not named?

He wasn't named the last day either. Picked up an injury after the league semi, very unfortunate time to not be fully fit. I see Thomas Kerr is back on the squad. Was surprised not to see him listed against Cavan but i think he was at college exams. Just shows how much competition there is to get named nowadays.

Id like to see Lennon and McGuinness starting myself.

Bingo

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on June 19, 2015, 12:22:23 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 19, 2015, 09:21:18 AM

He wasn't named the last day either. Picked up an injury after the league semi, very unfortunate time to not be fully fit. I see Thomas Kerr is back on the squad. Was surprised not to see him listed against Cavan but i think he was at college exams. Just shows how much competition there is to get named nowadays.

Id like to see Lennon and McGuinness starting myself.

I don't think he'd start Lennon in a game with nothing under his belt but hopefully he sees some action this Sunday.

O'Rourke doesn't really set himself up with two out and out forwards like McGuinness and McManus that often. I think he prefers flexibility and workrate more - hence Carey, McAnesipie, Malone, Kerr, Collogy all seeing a lot of game time and starting matches. That's not saying McGuinness isn't a hard worker but his strength is closer to goal and he would be lost in a half forward line. Hughes and the other forwards named above can drift in and out at ease.

McGuinness will come in when the game opens up more and he has also missed a lot of training and match time this year, so he will cause problems as the game develops.

tintin25

Would love if we caused an upset but just can't see it. Would imagine Monaghan will come through by 5-6pts.

Think McManus will prove a handful, but I think now more than in previous years that Monaghan have forwards who can do damage.  Quigley was poor enough the last day and Corrigan at present just isn't scoring enough.

Main Street

A functional Monaghan team would likely win but we'll have to wait and see if that team turns up.
What are the opinions about Pete McGrath? On the surface it looks like he'd doing well, plenty of victories and some narrow defeats.

babarino

Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
A functional Monaghan team would likely win but we'll have to wait and see if that team turns up.
What are the opinions about Pete McGrath? On the surface it looks like he'd doing well, plenty of victories and some narrow defeats.

If Pete McGrath pulls off a win, it would be a major boost for Fermanagh and his reputation as a manager. Down supporters have massive time for him, leading them to 2 All Irelands. The general consensus also says he hung on too long. The truth is the quality wasn't there in his last few years with Down. Can he turn a gutsy, but limited, Fermanagh squad into Ulster championship contenders? If they get a win over us, yes.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on June 19, 2015, 11:28:28 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2015, 10:12:12 PM

If Pete McGrath pulls off a win, it would be a major boost for Fermanagh and his reputation as a manager. Down supporters have massive time for him, leading them to 2 All Irelands. The general consensus also says he hung on too long. The truth is the quality wasn't there in his last few years with Down. Can he turn a gutsy, but limited, Fermanagh squad into Ulster championship contenders? If they get a win over us, yes.

Well,  they would be contenders for the Ulster Championship if they beat us :)

Farrandeelin

Hopefully Fermanagh can take inspiration from Antrim and Sligo and record another shock.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FermGael

Fermanagh team named:
Thomas Treacy;
Michael Jones, Niall Cassidy, Martin O'Brien;
Declan McCusker, Ryan McCluskey, Barry Mulrone;
Ryan Jones, Richard O'Callaghan;
Darren McQuade, Ciaran Flaherty, Paul McCusker;
Thomas Corrigan, Sean Quigley, Ruairi Corrigan.

Similar team to the last day against Antrim but with Darren McQuaid getting a surprise call up to the first 15.
I believe it's his debut for the county from the start outside of the McKenna Cup but he has impressed from the bench this year in the national league.  Malachy will know him well enough as he taught him.
Pete does not do paper teams so that means Eoin Donnelly will be sprung form the bench at some stage. He has not played a Game since the last league game so I would say it's the sensible Thing to do.  That should give Monaghan something to worry about if we are still in the game with 20 minutes.

Monaghan have made the one enforced change with Drew's injury.
I expect a few changes in that Monaghan team before throw in.

Monaghan are rightly favourites. Have been very impressive this year and have an excellent management team.
Our only game plan must be to try and frustrate Monaghan. Keep it tight and try and not let them get off to a flyer like Donegal did last week against Armagh. 

It's been an excellent year so far for Fermanagh.
Pete has done a great job and just maybe Antrim were not as bad as people were making out.
Sligo showed how it can be done tonight.

I just have a feeling we will sneak it. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 20, 2015, 11:14:18 PM
Hopefully Fermanagh can take inspiration from Antrim and Sligo and record another shock.
This weekend's quota of shocks has sold out.
:P

Main Street

Fermanagh can't even buy a shock.
Though, Antrim's victory makes Fermanagh look a bit better.