Gerry McEntee puts Art McRory back in his box

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

No sledging in Mayo. We haven't the snow for it.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rodman

This is the only thing that big Art said about Meath.

"I can go back to the '90s when Meath were in the ascendancy and their tactics were very simple: the top player on the other team was targeted and everyone within 20 metres of him went in and hit him with everything they had."

Pretty spot on from what I can recall about that Meath team. Don't know what McEntee is whinging about!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: moysider on May 31, 2015, 05:30:13 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 31, 2015, 04:12:09 PM
Top teams, G you got to the final in 1996 and 1997 and the Derry team of that time was away better team by a considerable distance than that Mayo team, couldn't get out of Ulster and hadn't the fall back of the back door at the time.

No they weren't. Derry were a fine league team. If they were as good as all that they would have got out of Ulster.
What happened after they got out in 97? ;)

They changed their colours to blue and white, their name to Cavan and lost to Kerry.

DermyTDredi

Quote from: Rodman on May 31, 2015, 10:06:30 PM

"I can go back to the '90s when Meath were in the ascendancy and their tactics were very simple: the top player on the other team was targeted and everyone within 20 metres of him went in and hit him with everything they had."

Pretty spot on from what I can recall about that Meath team. Don't know what McEntee is whinging about!

+1

Jinxy

Mind your manners when you're talking about Gerry.
He cuts people for a living.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2015, 05:39:16 PM
Telling your opponent that the manager is warming up a sub for him (which is what McEntee did with Bolger) is not 'sledging'.
Telling him he's going to miss a free is not 'sledging'.
Can people genuinely not tell the difference between the two?
I thought any kind of such mouthing was 'sledging'

Also have been told some cracking running verbal battles in the field between Meath and several other counties. Some started by cork and Dublin players, others started and finished by Meath players.
Sources were a young player on the team who used to have us roaring with laughter at some of the things said. Another source direct from ex team mate and former Meath all Ireland winning captain.
He and a prev mentioned Meath player giving a Dublin penalty taker serious verbals before he too and after he missed a penalty in the championship v Meath in croker.

IMO all this mouthing is'sledging'. Should be saying f**king nothing and concentrating on playing football. But some of it was quite funny. Esp Kevin foley to Ciaran duff.

BennyHarp

Gerry McEntee actually sat down and wrote a letter to the Sunday Independent about this??
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

Sledging is the personal stuff, like the following:
"You are fat"
"Your Mam is fat"
"Your Sister is fat"
"I still rode the both of them" etc.

moysider

Telling your opponent that the manager is warming up a sub for him (which is what McEntee did with Bolger) is not 'sledging'.

I m struggling to see the difference. But maybe that s just me?

How about this one that happened in the mid 90s. A player has an opponent compliment his mother on her driving ability. This woman had been killed in a road traffic accident shortly before the game. The expression used ' I hear your mother is a great driver' suggests that this lad is a real manly man. And exceptionally witty as well ::) His mother would be real proud no doubt.  I m sure he still really puffs  out his chest when he remembers that line and polishes his Celtic Cross.
No more than the man that thought a 'good day for a hanging' was a good line to get an edge.
Of course all that was not sledging at all. Couldn t have been because Tyrone were not around to blame. Tyrone was not taken seriously back then so, obviously,  we can only back-date anything bad in the game until Tyrone won an AI.

Back then sledging was an Aussie cricket thing. Regretful that the expression has been adopted in our football. But we don't deserve to use that expression. The sad thing is, while the Aussies pros. jibed opponents about 'riding their girlfriends/wives' and were often very witty, our amateur lads resort to road accidents, suicide and cancer as subject matter. 
An example of proper sledging is from Rod Marsh to Ian Botham:
"So, how's your wife and my kids?"  Botham  replied: "The wife's fine, but the kids are retarded.

Two old pros; one started it and the other finished it and they both knew it was just banter. Those cricket lads must be pissed off our crude and, lets call a spade a spade', vicious remarks are compared to what they do. There is no way the expression 'sledging' should be used to describe the shite that happens in our football.

We re dealing with a different scenario altogether. It should not be called sledging for a start. It s too Neanderthal to be called sledging - and in apologies to Neanderthals, they probably had more class.

whitey

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2015, 01:12:38 AM

I m struggling to see the difference. But maybe that s just me?

How about this one that happened in the mid 90s. A player has an opponent compliment his mother on her driving ability. This woman had been killed in a road traffic accident shortly before the game. The expression used ' I hear your mother is a great driver' suggests that this lad is a real manly man. And exceptionally witty as well ::) His mother would be real proud no doubt.  I m sure he still really puffs  out his chest when he remembers that line and polishes his Celtic Cross.
No more than the man that thought a 'good day for a hanging' was a good line to get an edge.
Of course all that was not sledging at all. Couldn t have been because Tyrone were not around to blame. Tyrone was not taken seriously back then so, obviously,  we can only back-date anything bad in the game until Tyrone won an AI.

Back then sledging was an Aussie cricket thing. Regretful that the expression has been adopted in our football. But we don't deserve to use that expression. The sad thing is, while the Aussies pros. jibed opponents about 'riding their girlfriends/wives' and were often very witty, our amateur lads resort to road accidents, suicide and cancer as subject matter. 
An example of proper sledging is from Rod Marsh to Ian Botham:
"So, how's your wife and my kids?"  Botham  replied: "The wife's fine, but the kids are retarded.

Two old pros; one started it and the other finished it and they both knew it was just banter. Those cricket lads must be pissed off our crude and, lets call a spade a spade', vicious remarks are compared to what they do. There is no way the expression 'sledging' should be used to describe the shite that happens in our football.

We re dealing with a different scenario altogether. It should not be called sledging for a start. It s too Neanderthal to be called sledging - and in apologies to Neanderthals, they probably had more class.

I was told the about the "I heard your mother is a great driver" line from a clubmate of the player it was said to.

Hard to fathom that someone would actually stoop so low in order to gain an advantage against an opponent-if it was in fact ever said!

Ohtoohtobe

The slightly upsetting truth is that Meath in that era were just a very good football team. The Canavan injury might have been more relevant were it not for the fact that Meath played Tyrone off the pitch.

rrhf

Quote from: Rodman on May 31, 2015, 10:06:30 PM

In that first half they took out all of tyrone key men with late tackles or off the ball stuff.  Canavan Cush mc bride cavlan never mind dooher all were systematically assaulted. Aside from that point mc entee is overly sensitive perhaps a paranoia typical of those protecting their own mythology.  Boylans regime was brutal and effective and they were prepared to turn croke park into a slaughterhouse.  They were despised at the time but we all secretly admired them,  but time forgets.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on June 01, 2015, 02:42:51 AM
The slightly upsetting truth is that Meath in that era were just a very good football team. The Canavan injury might have been more relevant were it not for the fact that Meath played Tyrone off the pitch.

Never mind the fact that in the first half Tyrone were very much in the game until a few of our better forwards were 'targeted'. Meath had some great players in that era but if they weren't coached into systematically targeting the oppositions better players, then they unusually had a bunch of players who all had the same instinct in that regard.

But sure Martin O'Connell is a lovely fella, your honour, he'd never do anything like that which we can clearly see on tape before our very eyes.

That game had a direct impact on the Tyrone psyche for when we re-emerged a few years later. So we do actually owe Meath a bit of gratitude for showing us the way to our 3 All Ireland's. They are the grandfathers of puke football and we are eternally grateful.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 31, 2015, 05:00:58 PM
all there league meeting would have been played with hard hitting intensity, i remember Brian McGilligan thumping Geraghty in Celtic park, outright upper cut, the meath man just got up and played on, no lying down trying to get a man sent off or mouthing. though Lockhart and Murphy would had abit of rough and tumble

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 31, 2015, 07:42:37 PM
Meath didn't sledge. They rarely said a word other than cursing and blinding. They'd punch you in the gob, but they wouldn't lie down if you did the same to them. Hard, tough, but not sly and sneaky.

Jesus, I could laugh at how it is seen as ok or 'manly' for someone to cowardly hit someone a punch in the face as opposed to it being the worst crime in the world to be seen to slabber at someone - I know what I would take every day of the week - a few wee words as opposed to potentially a broken jaw/brain damage and a stay in hospital.  How is punching someone in the gob 'hard and tough' and not 'sly and sneaky'.

As for differentiating between what players slabber at others, it doesn't change the fact that it is still 'sledging' as people like to call it.  Using verbals to put someone off his game is no different no matter what is used as the ammunition.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'