Gerry McEntee puts Art McRory back in his box

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 01, 2015, 08:07:35 PM
Some of the lines you hear on the pitch are great tho. When Mossie Quinn and the rest of the Dublin team were having a 'mare v Tyrone in 2008, Dublin got the usual handy free.    One of the Tyrone players says "Here Mossie, you do know that if you miss this one Pillar will pull ye off for sure!"

That's a great one alright

Armamike

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 01, 2015, 08:07:35 PM
Some of the lines you hear on the pitch are great tho. When Mossie Quinn and the rest of the Dublin team were having a 'mare v Tyrone in 2008, Dublin got the usual handy free.    One of the Tyrone players says "Here Mossie, you do know that if you miss this one Pillar will pull ye off for sure!"

oh matron
That's just, like your opinion man.

AZOffaly

I'm not sure I explained myself very well earlier on, was on a phone. Obviously I wouldn't prefer a broken jaw over some lad telling me shite. What I am trying to say is I have more time for the sort of fella that will hit hard , mano a mano, for an hour and sometimes lose his cool and get himself sent off for trying to have a row, over the sneaky lad that tries to goad or taunt an opponent, using physical or verbal intimidation with the sole purpose of going down like a bag of spuds to get him sent off.

But lest there be any doubt, below both of these I would place the cowardly f**ker that dough bars a lad from behind or unexpectedly. I don't think Meath had too many of those.

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2015, 09:07:47 PM
I'm not sure I explained myself very well earlier on, was on a phone. Obviously I wouldn't prefer a broken jaw over some lad telling me shite. What I am trying to say is I have more time for the sort of fella that will hit hard , mano a mano, for an hour and sometimes lose his cool and get himself sent off for trying to have a row, over the sneaky lad that tries to goad or taunt an opponent, using physical or verbal intimidation with the sole purpose of going down like a bag of spuds to get him sent off.

But lest there be any doubt, below both of these I would place the cowardly f**ker that dough bars a lad from behind or unexpectedly. I don't think Meath had too many of those.

??? WTF is that? I thought I had seen the lot :o

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

omaghjoe

Fear ón Srath Bán

A hilarious thread, Meath (when they were successful) all indignant about the hint of an aspersion being cast upon their pristine purity and angelic innocence on the field of play... truly hilarious!* :D :D

* Never forgetting to be ever so grateful of course for Meath kicking the winning of All-Irelands into ourselves, to be sure.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 05, 2015, 01:24:00 AM
A hilarious thread, Meath (when they were successful) all indignant about the hint of an aspersion being cast upon their pristine purity and angelic innocence on the field of play... truly hilarious!* :D :D

* Never forgetting to be ever so grateful of course for Meath kicking the winning of All-Irelands into ourselves, to be sure.
To be honest I would say the other team mates  would be a tad embarrassed at the whitewashing of their teams activities.  For years they revelled in it and in an era where brutality brought is reward.

Hardy

Lads, there's no hiding the truth with bluster. Everyone hates a whinger. They hate a sneak even more. A trash-talking little bastard who is prepared to make fun of another person's grief is off the revulsion scale altogether. That's why people bemoan the ascendency of diving, cheating, trash-talking cornerboy football and lament the passing of the days when men gave as good as they got and played a man's game like men.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2015, 11:03:19 AM
Lads, there's no hiding the truth with bluster. Everyone hates a whinger. They hate a sneak even more. A trash-talking little b**tard who is prepared to make fun of another person's grief is off the revulsion scale altogether. That's why people bemoan the ascendency of diving, cheating, trash-talking cornerboy football and lament the passing of the days when men gave as good as they got and played a man's game like men.

+1
"Stercus accidit"

Jinxy

If that '96 Meath team was brought to the year 2015 via a time machine, and they ended up playing Tyrone in an All-Ireland semi-final, who would the neutral GAA fan would be up for?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2015, 01:05:01 PM
If that '96 Meath team was brought to the year 2015 via a time machine, and they ended up playing Tyrone in an All-Ireland semi-final, who would the neutral GAA fan would be up for?

Always had a lot of respect for the Meath team they played the game hard but fair on the majority of occasions and from my memory they never started it but by God they could finish it . . . Cavanagh would be on the back pages first thing Monday morning complaining about big John McDermott tackling him too hard or some nonsense!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Like I said, the hilarity of it all, those Meath paragons of playing virtue and guardians of sporting sanctity!   :D :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

The problem for you lads, Fear, is that it's true on a sporting level that Tyrone, Rumsfeld like, doesn't even know it doesn't know.  :)