A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: general_lee on July 21, 2016, 04:25:03 PM
70% on a Belfast Telegraph poll voted in favour of a United ireland. I think a lot of the "pragmatic" unionists are reconsidering unity. Obviously you can't read too much into an online poll; but found it odd on a traditionally unionist paper

Which was roughly the same percentage that wanted a border referendum in the same online poll, leading me to think it was hijacked by nationalists.

Minder

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 21, 2016, 05:50:18 PM
70% on a Belfast Telegraph poll voted in favour of a United ireland. I think a lot of the "pragmatic" unionists are reconsidering unity. Obviously you can't read too much into an online poll; but found it odd on a traditionally unionist paper

Which was roughly the same percentage that wanted a border referendum in the same online poll, leading me to think it was hijacked by nationalists.

I would say that's exactly what happened
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

so another question, if Brexit ends the GFA, what would the unionist population of the north want as a next step. Reimposition of direct rule?
What would westminster want to happen next?

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

MoChara

Quote from: Minder on July 21, 2016, 05:58:16 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 21, 2016, 05:50:18 PM

I would say that's exactly what happened

I voted everytime they did an update, so I think I've voted at least 4 times now, if we could just get a referendum set-up in the say way we'd be laughing

armaghniac

Quote from: heganboy on July 22, 2016, 06:04:24 AM
so another question, if Brexit ends the GFA, what would the unionist population of the north want as a next step. Reimposition of direct rule?
What would westminster want to happen next?

Westminster wants to pretend that it didn't renege on the agreement and carry on as if nothing has happened.
The TUV want a minefield and electric fence at the border. The DUP range from those who favour a fence at the border, not necessarily electrified, to those who prefer to pretend that this does not affect anything. The UU probably want a new deal, special treatment for NI somehow.

Meanwhile May is coming and meeting McGuiness and Foster separately, because Foster refuses to represent anyone only her own lot.

And if NI is not going south, the British economy is
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/uk-economy-slumps-at-fastest-rate-since-financial-crisis-postbrexit-vote-34903940.html

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OgraAnDun

What's Foster's official reason for not meeting May with poor Martin?

T Fearon

https://twitter.com/deirdreheenan/status/756809835421859841

The quintessential view of the North from the South,as I've been trying to tell you all

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 23, 2016, 02:30:10 PM
https://twitter.com/deirdreheenan/status/756809835421859841

The quintessential view of the North from the South,as I've been trying to tell you all

No Tony.

You just found someone like you. It is not representative.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I would contend it is representative of the majority view in the South.

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2016, 02:39:07 PM

Based on?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

Quote from: heganboy on July 24, 2016, 03:01:52 PM

Based on?

based on agreement with T. Fearon.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Based on

1.No manifest demand from the people of the South for a UI

2. NI filed under "Foreign Affairs" by Dublin Governmment

3) Kenny and Martin reverting to lapdog status after admonishment by the British and Unionists for even mentioning the prospect recently,which they only did to out manoeuvre Sinn Fein in the first place

Arthur_Friend

I listened to a vox pop on a southern radio station last week. Around 15 - 20 people were stopped in Sligo town and asked if they favoured a UI in the near future. Every single one favoured a UI with only one expressing concerns about loyalist violence.

Newstalk I think it was.

T Fearon

Huge difference between "favouring" something in a vox pop,as opposed to considering all the implications then going to a polling station to cast a vote

Rois

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2016, 08:07:43 PM
Huge difference between "favouring" something in a vox pop,as opposed to considering all the implications then going to a polling station to cast a vote
Have you not just posted a link to a tweet of a picture of one person's letter to a newspaper? Doesn't carry much constitutional weight either, does it?