Author Topic: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.  (Read 193400 times)

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
Re: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.
« Reply #2655 on: August 15, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »
Sure there was talk of bringing in a nominal prescription charge to try and weed out people taking the piss but when they looked at it they saw it couldn't work because the administration of it would cost more than the money it would bring in!

I'm guessing it's likewise with a charge to see the doctor. If you had to pay a tenner you would soon see GP surgeries clear out and waiting lists disappear!!

THe problem is though how do you decide who the most vulnerable are who should get it for free. The govt have made a complete mess of universal credit I don't see how they can't c**k this one up as well!!

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 15, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »

The waste in prescribing is an on-going and uncontrolled issue. Also the waste in items that can be reused is an issue, e.g. crutches, moon boots, zimmer frames, rollators, etc are all non-returnable or collected for recycling as scrap metal rather than re-use.

Shocking that these cannot be re-used, but even if NI does not want them they should not go to recycling but to Syria or someplace.

Missed appointments are the major cost to the NHS and severely decrease its efficiency. They play an important part in keeping waiting list longer as doctors are left sitting doing nothing during planned clinical sessions that can never be recovered. Those who miss appointments should face a penalty to make major inroads. All clinics and doctors' surgeries are now showing the number of missed appointments and they are a concern.

The flip side of this that they need to embrace technology at all venues and ensure reminders and automatic calendar entries etc. Even if they are running late they could notify you and tell you to come in 20mins rather than making you sit around pointlessly.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: August 15, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »
The free at point of service is a rallying call for Corbyn. IT will run the NHS into the ground

One free appointment per year for checkup and a charge if you need additional. U13 and O60 obviously should be given more/completely free. Would be a good starting point

As for antibiotics dont get me started, if you take a sick wean to the doctor they'll tell you its a virus and then proceed to superscribe antibiotics!!! 7 years trainng for that... WTF

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #2658 on: August 15, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »
I thought antibiotics didn't work on Viruses.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 15, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »
My local health centre now runs a sort of telemedicine service whereby for non-absolutely urgent cases, you contact the surgery in the morning, preferably with a brief explanation of your problem(s). A GP will call you back later that morning to discuss your problem. If they think that they need to see you in person, they'll invite you to come to the centre usually that same day. It does mean that people who really need to be seen for their problems aren't held back as much by the likes of hypochondriacs.

Also, I remember reading a story a couple of years ago in New South Wales, Australia, about the state government looking to try and control costs concerning medical prescriptions for senior citizens that nominally got them for free. They decided to introduce a co-pay of $2 for all future prescriptions that were previously free to help with public health costs. After a few years, it was determined that not only was the co-pay introduction doing what it intended, it actually saved the NSW government several times more than what they expected. What happened was that prior to the introduction of the co-pay, a lot of senior citizens would make GP appointments not so much as needing to see one concerning a specific problem, but out of something unrelated - even just to do something to get away from isolation - senior women were noted in going to surgeries to look and talk to young male doctors! Each time they visited a GP they usually got a prescription that they then got for free at a chemist and did the same several times over, but now even with just a small AU$2 payment, it was putting off these serial offenders.

Back to this side of the world, IIRC when prescription fees in NI were abolished completely it was reckoned that it would cost an additional 13 million a year from the public health budget that would otherwise be sustainable. However within about 3-4 years it was found to be costing over 31 million a year with loads of "frivolous" items like suncream being doled out for free on prescription.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Mossy Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 15, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »
I thought antibiotics didn't work on Viruses.
Exactly.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 16, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
The free at point of service is a rallying call for Corbyn. IT will run the NHS into the ground

One free appointment per year for checkup and a charge if you need additional. U13 and O60 obviously should be given more/completely free. Would be a good starting point

As for antibiotics dont get me started, if you take a sick wean to the doctor they'll tell you its a virus and then proceed to superscribe antibiotics!!! 7 years trainng for that... WTF
Bullshit and disingenuous, GP's train for 4 years after graduation and none of us would put up with the crap they have to go through to get there. I have never met a GP yet who would dish out unwarranted Ab's. There is a shortage of GP's for very obvious reasons.

t_mac

• View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 16, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
In my surgery they have left a prescription at reception for antibiotics without seeing me, they have also done this for other members of my family, this is from a triage of a minute over the phone.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #2663 on: August 16, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Meanwhile back to United Ireland... 
Will you folks in the 6 be having a Census in 2021?
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 16, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
In my surgery they have left a prescription at reception for antibiotics without seeing me, they have also done this for other members of my family, this is from a triage of a minute over the phone.
The nhs is a brilliant concept which is under serious pressure with an ageing population, relatively reducing resources , and unreasonable expectations/demands from the public

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:32 AM »
Meanwhile back to United Ireland... 
Will you folks in the 6 be having a Census in 2021?

Yes, but expect some gurning about how certain questions are worded.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »
The difference is that we are not in Britain and any attempt to convince people that they are something else is always a hard sell. The unionists are in Ireland and them being Irish is simple normality, in the end normality asserts itself.

And right there you have a perfect illustration of why we will never be able to persuade the unionists to leave the UK and join a united Ireland.

I post white and you say black. Perhaps you might want to elaborate.

Rather than recognise their identity and look to ways that it could be incorporated into a united Ireland you simply tell them "No you're not British" and expect them to agree to it. If you can't understand why that won't persuade them into a united Ireland then there is nothing I can say that will get you to understand.

They may consider themselves as being of British heritage if they wish, but that has no implications for political structures any more than Irish Americans required to be actually ruled from Dublin. All I want is normality.
Except for the fact that Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom.

And a lot of people still die from cancer, but progress will be made in both situations.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 16, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
Quote from: michaelg link=topic=25844.msg1472844#msg1472844 date=[b
1432749027[/b]]
The difference is that we are not in Britain and any attempt to convince people that they are something else is always a hard sell. The unionists are in Ireland and them being Irish is simple normality, in the end normality asserts itself.

And right there you have a perfect illustration of why we will never be able to persuade the unionists to leave the UK and join a united Ireland.

I post white and you say black. Perhaps you might want to elaborate.

Rather than recognise their identity and look to ways that it could be incorporated into a united Ireland you simply tell them "No you're not British" and expect them to agree to it. If you can't understand why that won't persuade them into a united Ireland then there is nothing I can say that will get you to understand.

They may consider themselves as being of British heritage if they wish, but that has no implications for political structures any more than Irish Americans required to be actually ruled from Dublin. All I want is normality.
Except for the fact that Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom.

And a lot of people still die from cancer, but progress will be made in both situations.

4 Years later.

I think there's significant progress on both.

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 16, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »
Presumably not before ascertaining that you actually need them.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »

Bullshit and disingenuous, GP's train for 4 years after graduation and none of us would put up with the crap they have to go through to get there. I have never met a GP yet who would dish out unwarranted Ab's. There is a shortage of GP's for very obvious reasons.

You have a 5 year degree +2 years training to become a doctor that was the 7 I was talking about. Not sure what it is after that to become a GP.. presumably another 2?

Im sure you have never meet a GP who would admit to prescribing "unwarranted Abs" especially in their professional circles but i can guarantee you they are prescribed for viruses. Usually introduced with "well normally I don't like to prescribe antibiotics, but....." I am quite sure if they were pushed on it they would say have an answer like "The patient was showing signs of possible infection and required an immediate course of ABs....."