Peter Robinson rushed to hospital.

Started by T Fearon, May 25, 2015, 09:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 06:53:30 AM
You are all missing the point.Why was the whole of Scotland democratically allowed to decide its future but the same democratic right has never been granted to the whole of Ireland?

I wasn't aware that there was an internationally recognised border within scotland. Every day is a school day.

Anybody think that if the Irish government appealed for a single all-island referendum that a single reputable country (or court) would recognise it? Only the monumentally stupid would even ask for it.

T Fearon

Er if the Scots enjoyed this why can't the Irish,or are injustices that have endured for 100 years now simply acceptable

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 07:07:18 PM
Er if the Scots enjoyed this why can't the Irish,or are injustices that have endured for 100 years now simply acceptable

Of course they are not acceptable, but it is not achievable.

In any case Tony you are playing both sides here. You yourself have said that it is as much up to people in the northern bit to find common ground as anything else.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

I feel any sort of nationalist in Ireland should have been pointing out, at the very least,the fact that Scotland in its entirety was allowed to decide its future while the same right has always been denied to all of Ireland,but there wasn't as much as a cheep out of Sinn Fein even.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 08:45:44 PM
I feel any sort of nationalist in Ireland should have been pointing out, at the very least,the fact that Scotland in its entirety was allowed to decide its future while the same right has always been denied to all of Ireland,but there wasn't as much as a cheep out of Sinn Fein even.
All of Ireland voted on how it would decide its future at the time of the GFA. You're comparing apples and oranges.

T Fearon

I'm not.All of Scotland was allowed to vote,to determine whether it not it stayed in the UK,why has this right not at any period in history been extended to all of Ireland?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 09:36:08 PM
I'm not.All of Scotland was allowed to vote,to determine whether it not it stayed in the UK,why has this right not at any period in history been extended to all of Ireland?

Because Scotland was union of Kings and Ireland was conquered?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Attitude of acquiescence on this Board is mirrored in wider society.Maybe we don't have balls like the Scots do

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 09:36:08 PM
Tony, Scotland is an integral part of the UK. The republic is not. It's a sovereign, independent state.
The Scots voted on whether they should secede from the UK or continue to be part of it.  Their referendum was an internal affair.
Now I'm not sure which school of logic you follow but surely if Norn Iron wanted to unite with the republic, it would first have to decide whether it should leave the union or not? 
There's not point in speculating what the republic should or should not do until you lot make up your minds.
In any event, as Maguire gently pointed out to you, the procedure to be followed was decided by all the people of Ireland at the time of the GFA and I don't think anything has changed in the interim.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

Why wasn't all Ireland offered this option in 1916?

stibhan

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 28, 2015, 08:50:57 PM
All of Ireland voted on how it would decide its future at the time of the GFA. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Ireland voted for a outright majority of republicans in 1918.

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 11:06:56 PM
Why wasn't all Ireland offered this option in 1916?
Because back then the lesser breeds weren't allowed to do such things as opting to leave the  Brit empire.  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Quote from: stibhan on May 28, 2015, 11:10:46 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 28, 2015, 08:50:57 PM

Ireland voted for a outright majority of republicans in 1918.

They had less percentage of the seats than the SNP do now and a smaller percentage of the popular vote

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2015, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2015, 11:29:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 06:53:30 AM
You are all missing the point.Why was the whole of Scotland democratically allowed to decide its future but the same democratic right has never been granted to the whole of Ireland?

BECAUSE WE VOTED FOR THE GOOD FRIDAY AGREEMENT!!!!!!

I am guessing, like The Bible, you never read it.

In fairness, Muppet, it wasn't on offer before the GFA, so the GFA did not reduce it.

Before the GFA there was a war for 30 odd years. Democracy goes out the window in a war.
MWWSI 2017

Pub Bore