Peter Robinson rushed to hospital.

Started by T Fearon, May 25, 2015, 09:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2015, 11:44:15 PM
No,but the Scots got a referendum involving all of Scotland on independence.Why has no freestate govt demanded the same,in a peaceful non threatening manner,if they really care?.

Because they knew you couldn't justify that monstrous chip on you shoulder then. They did it for you Tony.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Would it not be reasonable for a government here in Ireland to point out the inequality of treatment Scotland received in getting a referendum nationwide?

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2015, 11:49:39 PM
Would it not be reasonable for a government here in Ireland to point out the inequality of treatment Scotland received in getting a referendum nationwide?
Ireland, north and south, has agreed the basis for a referendum, as vague as it is. Anyway, why push for something doomed to fail?

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 27, 2015, 11:52:58 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2015, 11:49:39 PM
Ireland, north and south, has agreed the basis for a referendum, as vague as it is. Anyway, why push for something doomed to fail?

So he can blame someone else and point to their evil ways. Tony is after all a Roman Cathartic.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Answer me why the whole of Scotland was allowed to decide its constitutional future by referendum while the whole of Ireland has never been granted this basic democratic right? Also tell me why no Irish government has asked for this basic democratic right

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2015, 11:59:45 PM
Answer me why the whole of Scotland was allowed to decide its constitutional future by referendum while the whole of Ireland has never been granted this basic democratic right? Also tell me why no Irish government has asked for this basic democratic right

Again, have you heard of the Good Friday Agreement?

Hint: It was written after Exodus, but before Spurs glorious ascent to 5th in the League.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

1. Scotland had the SNP as the majority Party and they pushed for a referendum. DUP are the majority here so no referendum.

2. Its a completely different situation for NI as we are not looking to gain independence but join a Country. We mould need a referendum up here and the Free State I imagine would need a referendum to decide if they want to take us which even if we had a Nationalist majority in the North I imagine would still be far from a guarantee!!! They like their money down there and would not be too keen on sharing I would imagine.

Maguire01

The SNP got a majority in the Scottish Assembly and therefore got a referendum. When SF and the SDLP get a majority at Stormont, we'll get one too.

T Fearon

You are all missing the point.Why was the whole of Scotland democratically allowed to decide its future but the same democratic right has never been granted to the whole of Ireland?

armaghniac

You may have a point Tony, but are 90 years too late.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2015, 10:09:36 AM
You may have a point Tony, but are 90 years too late.

Absolutely. Scots got their timing better than us.
100 years ago the thought of any territory leaving the Brit Empire was simply not entertained.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2015, 12:08:19 AM

1. Scotland had the SNP as the majority Party and they pushed for a referendum. DUP are the majority here so no referendum.

2. Its a completely different situation for NI as we are not looking to gain independence but join a Country. We mould need a referendum up here and the Free State I imagine would need a referendum to decide if they want to take us which even if we had a Nationalist majority in the North I imagine would still be far from a guarantee!!! They like their money down there and would not be too keen on sharing I would imagine.

NI has out and out nationalists, out and out unionists and an increasing wedge in between. The inbetweeners will read the small print and probably not vote for an unity based on SF style economics. The south will overwhelmingly vote for it when the time comes as some type of workable plan will have had to emerge.

The point is that the ball is in play if the economics could be addressed, but the main "nationalist" party in the North has no interest in reducing the public expenditure gap and others measures that would do this.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 06:53:30 AM
You are all missing the point.Why was the whole of Scotland democratically allowed to decide its future but the same democratic right has never been granted to the whole of Ireland?

BECAUSE WE VOTED FOR THE GOOD FRIDAY AGREEMENT!!!!!!

I am guessing, like The Bible, you never read it.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2015, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2015, 12:08:19 AM

NI has out and out nationalists, out and out unionists and an increasing wedge in between. The inbetweeners will read the small print and probably not vote for an unity based on SF style economics. The south will overwhelmingly vote for it when the time comes as some type of workable plan will have had to emerge.

The point is that the ball is in play if the economics could be addressed, but the main "nationalist" party in the North has no interest in reducing the public expenditure gap and others measures that would do this.

To keep people who are unemployed voting for them??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2015, 11:29:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2015, 06:53:30 AM

BECAUSE WE VOTED FOR THE GOOD FRIDAY AGREEMENT!!!!!!

I am guessing, like The Bible, you never read it.

In fairness, Muppet, it wasn't on offer before the GFA, so the GFA did not reduce it.