Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmykelleher

I'd concur with this view of Mayo not being cynical.
One of the most obvious examples of this was the Mayo corner back who had the ball when the ref called a free against his team mate.

Instead of dropping the ball where he was he threw it back immediately to where the free was to be taken from.
The Galway player immediately kicked it over his head to Nicky Joyce who the corner back was supposed to be marking.

Do you think you would ever get a Armagh, Kerry or Tyrone back being so 'helpful'.

Then again. Who wants to be cynical?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2007, 09:54:43 AM
it's inherently built into their nature- it's something i don't believe a player suddenly acquires.- and i've never seen a player all of a sudden obtain it.

Up until about 3 years ago I'd never have described Ciaran Whelan as been an aggressive player

INDIANA

Indiana, in all truth, you only post about the negatives of Mayo football (for some sad reason), so you can hardly be viewed as impartial"

this is a forum i'm free to comment on what i like and when i like and i won't be asking your permission to do so. Plenty of people post all sorts of negatives about dublin- but you don't hear us complaining.Consult the dictionary for the definition of the term 'forum' if that's not clear enough.

"Up until about 3 years ago I'd never have described Ciaran Whelan as been an aggressive player"

i've played with him at school and he was aggressive then- he played with such a poor dublin outfit there was never any oppoutunity to impose himself because we were pretty much always beaten in the late 90's and early part of the century and were always on the back foot.

In relation to kerry - i would have always said o se was aggressive (he's an o se for christ's sake). galvin didn't play in 2003- tommy griffin didn't play in 2003- aidan o mahoney didn't play- tomas o se didn't play so that argument doesn't wash as it was  a different kerry team and a different mindset. and if mayo want to go the same route they need similar sort of players.

AbbeySider

Quote from: timmykelleher on May 24, 2007, 10:42:36 AM

One of the most obvious examples of this was the Mayo corner back who had the ball when the ref called a free against his team mate.

Instead of dropping the ball where he was he threw it back immediately to where the free was to be taken from.
The Galway player immediately kicked it over his head to Nicky Joyce who the corner back was supposed to be marking.

Do you think you would ever get a Armagh, Kerry or Tyrone back being so 'helpful'.

Then again. Who wants to be cynical?

Good observation Timmy,
It might seem trivial but its a classic example of Mayo being too nice. Your right, normally a ball is thrown over the free-takers head of left down to give an extra few seconds for a defence to mark up again. On Sunday Mayo had none of that aggression, cuteness, or fire...

Originally I was very upset with the way Galway played but after a long reflection I now think they were right to play the game the way they did. They showed much more hunger and desire and never let up. Normally when Mayo get a small lead we defend it, which can allow the other team back into the game. Galway wanted more and more and didnt let up. Hats off. We need to start taking that example.

Hypothetically the Mayo team of '96 would wallop the current team, and its not for lack of skill, but last of basic aggression that we are missing.

Hopefully we will emerge with this aggression in seven weeks.

INDIANA

That is good coming from a Dublin fan,Dublin have been talking themselves up for years, but sign of them admitting they aren't quite there."

you see if you ever actually read what i wrote(instead of what you actually think i wrote) the following would become very clear:

I DON'T BELIEVE THE CURRENT DUBLIN TEAM WILL WIN THE ALL-IRELAND IN 2007.

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2007, 11:03:18 AM
"Up until about 3 years ago I'd never have described Ciaran Whelan as been an aggressive player"

i've played with him at school and he was aggressive then- he played with such a poor dublin outfit there was never any oppoutunity to impose himself because we were pretty much always beaten in the late 90's and early part of the century and were always on the back foot.

Arrah come off it for Gods sake, Whelan was getting bossed around pitches at Senior level all his life, he had the skill and pace to make up for it in the early days and it's got nada to do with lack of opportunities playing alongside poor Dublin outfits, stop making excuses for him - he simply decided to start being more aggressive a few years back, just pointing that your original point re not being able to coach aggression into players is rubbsh

man in black

Quote from: stephenite on May 24, 2007, 10:46:37 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2007, 09:54:43 AM
it's inherently built into their nature- it's something i don't believe a player suddenly acquires.- and i've never seen a player all of a sudden obtain it.

Up until about 3 years ago I'd never have described Ciaran Whelan as been an aggressive player

I wouldn't call him aggressive, just a thug that emerges for about 10 mins per match and usually clocks someone with a cowardly punch.
Should have walked v meath last year.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

INDIANA

just pointing that your original point re not being able to coach aggression into players is rubbsh "

that's  a fact and your theory on kerry is also rubbish -because it was  a markedy different team that won kerry the all-ireland- they changed their team similar to what mayo need- you can continue to delude yourself that mayo are going to win the all-ireland with the current team that's your pregorative.

in relation to whelan being  a thug - i wouldn't defend him on some incidents because you can't defend any of his actions -but then again i wouldn't be so hypocritical to defend pat harte when he tied to break michael meehan's jaw.

ludermor

indiana,
you havent been spotted over on the dublin meath thread in a while, im sure you are missed.
It really must be terrible to be so bitter,i can only assume its after the semi last year. get over it man and enjoy this great sport of ours. support your team and dont be so worried about how mayo are doing. 
you   must have been with gnevin one in coppers when a gang of mayo youngs wans chased ye.

INDIANA

didn't see anywhere in the rules- where you can only comment on your own county- sorry luder but in this day and age that's pretty pathetic.

ludermor

theres feck all rules indy, im just curious your so interested in mayo?

ludermor

but its good to see yuo are so worried about what other people say, i see you have gone back scampering to the dublin meath thread.
im sorry indy but thats pathetic  ;D

INDIANA

not really simply that this thread is exhausted luder. there is only so many times you can say galway beat mayo comprehensively

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2007, 11:53:04 AM

that's  a fact and your theory on kerry is also rubbish -because it was  a markedy different team that won kerry the all-ireland- they changed their team similar to what mayo need- you can continue to delude yourself that mayo are going to win the all-ireland with the current team that's your pregorative.

in relation to whelan being  a thug - i wouldn't defend him on some incidents because you can't defend any of his actions -but then again i wouldn't be so hypocritical to defend pat harte when he tied to break michael meehan's jaw.

First of all, it's not a fact, you're talking out of your hole.
Secondly I have not posted a theory on Kerry, so how can my theory be rubbish when I haven't even mentioned it?
Thirdly, I have never stated that Mayo will win the All Ireland this team, so how is this delusional?
Lastly, where have I defended Pat Hartes actions? So why are you trying to infer that I am being hypocritical ?

I have only commented on the fact that you said that you cannot coach aggression into an Inter County footballer, you state that you either have it or you don't. I remarked that Ciaran Whelan only introduced this into his game 3 years ago, I've seen enough of "Whelo" in Parnell Park in County Challenge games getting pushed around by all and sundry.
Please try and stick to the topic at hand, and stop misquoting and misrepresenting what I wrote - it's childsish and you're making a fool of yourself

INDIANA

First of all, it's not a fact, you're talking out of your hole.
Secondly I have not posted a theory on Kerry, so how can my theory be rubbish when I haven't even mentioned it?
Thirdly, I have never stated that Mayo will win the All Ireland this team, so how is this delusional?"

simple question Einstein - look at the teamsheet re kerry 2003 and the one re 2004-2006. the players who are respsonsible for putting the aggression into the kerry team weren't there. You said kerry sufddenly instilled aggression into their play?-they didn't they changed the personnel- i have yet to see mike frank-cooper etc lamp anyone with a shoulder- the reaon being they don't need to paul galvin/aidan o mahoney/tommy griffin and tomas  o se do it for them.