Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwaySham

Quoted brady will be back flying by that stage

Yeah Yeah, the great Mayo excuse, "We were missing Brady". Ye are always missing him, here is a player who seems to have gained a great reputation just because he is nearly always injured.

GalwayBayBoy

I think the "cynical" and "dirty" Galway routine is being overplayed here and on Mayofans.com to be honest. There were a lot of frees in the game alright but mainly for minor offences than outright dirt. The hits were hard but fair in the main. Once Galway got ahead early on I think they felt they would win the game if they didn't concede any goals so were content to concede frees further out the field as long as it kept Mayo away from the Galway goal. The longer the game went on the more desperate Mayo became searching for goals and that's a situation where the team in the lead will always be content to give away a free rather than let the opposition clear run at their goal.

To me it was a typical Galway v Mayo game in the championship. No quarter given or asked for and you go out there and scrap for every ball otherwise you have no chance of winning.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Galway scored two cracking goals in open play and fashioned a number of great points too. That's what won them the game.

highorlow

QuoteI think Galway should have won by more to be honest                   

QuoteHowever if Mortimer and Harte had finished their goal chances we'd probably be looking at a replay               

Too much celebrations there DJ, are you still drunk?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blast05

QuoteThirdly, apart from the game against the Dubs last year, I cannot remember a day that Mayo pulled it out whenever the pressure was really on.

Connacht final 2004 v Galway, down by 6 early in the game - ended up winning by 6

myball22

There is a feeling of sour grapes here, it's quite similiar to after last year's Connacht Final when many Galway contributors (myself included  :-\)  got hung up on the fact that the last minute debatable free kick that allowed Mayo win the game rather than look at our own team's inept display. The fact was that Mayo deserved their victory that day in the same way that Galway deserved it yesterday. I didn't hear any Mayo supporter at the ground complain of rough treatment. That said I was behind the goal that Galway scored into in the first half so we were away from the play in the first half.

If the referee was bad, he was bad for both teams, in fact Galway's second goal came from a situation where a Mayo back plowed through a Galway forward, a blatant free kick not given. Mayo got a free out straight afterwards that they kicked out over the line and Galway's goal resulted from the line ball. If the free was given, there would have been no goal. Mayo got at least one free kick in the second half also.

If I was a Mayo supporter, apart from looking to clone David Heaney, they would need to look a where this went wrong. Midfield was lost in a big way and they need to look at this. Also I don't think BJP is the answer at No. 6. The other mayo backs did well when considering that Galway had a lot of the ball and were winning most possession out the field. back to the drawing board for a number of positions I'm afraid.

From a Galway point of view, we will need players back from injury Armstrong, P Clancy, A Burke if we are to make a challenge later on in the summer, but it was a good start and hopefully there's more to come.

DJGaliv

Quote from: highorlow on May 21, 2007, 03:34:08 PM
QuoteI think Galway should have won by more to be honest                   

QuoteHowever if Mortimer and Harte had finished their goal chances we'd probably be looking at a replay               

Too much celebrations there DJ, are you still drunk?

Sounds like I am alright, but what I mean is that had Mayo stuck their two goal chances it would have been a different game. However Galway missed a hell of a lot more, and should really have won by a few more points. We still weren't clinical enough, Savage should have layed the ball off to Joyce in the first few minutes, and we could have been 3-5 to 0-5 points up at the break, which would have been well deserved. Just because I believe that Mayo could have forced a replay with two goals, doesn't mean that I don't think Galway should have won by more.

MacDanger

I don't think we can complain about Galway being dirty/cynical, if the ref doesn't call it then it's allowed. FFS we've been bate around the park physically by teams for a few years now and spectacularly so by Kerry on 3 occasions. Call it dirty or physical but you have to be able to take and give semi-legal tackles and take out the man who gives the handpass and so on, if you don't then you won't win a thing. Over the past few years, we've had it handy physically out of Connacht and then been knocked about like boys in Croker, it happened to Kerry 5 or 6 years back and they toughened up, looks like Galway are doing the same.

We have 7 weeks to regroup and sort things out, there'll definitely be casualties from yestertdays starting line-up. Some of the injured players will be back - it's not like we haven't known for a while that they'd be injured yesterday - and there'll be positional changes on a big scale.

I still reckon Johnno will get things sorted and once we get a handy enough first game, i don't think there'll be anyone we should be scared of in the qualifiers. I reckon we'll make a Q/F.

smelly fairy

DJ Galiv, "Harte is a nasty piece of goods".. I'm sorry but I take exception to that comment, you know nothing, and it doesn't merit defending. If Galway had lost yesterday, we may not be hearing the same pulpet comments from you.

DJGaliv

I know nothing? I'm afraid I know plenty my friend. I've seen him do a lot worse on the GAA field. I'm not going to bring it up on here though.

nephinbeg

jom has to settle on "a" team. Padden was looking fine in CHF but switiching him and everyone else only confused the situation. to much movinh and shaking going on and that has not helped us. we need Heaney at midfield and stay there, padden at chb and fill, Gardiner needs time to regain his confidence, His kicking is diabolical and every one has copped on to his running game... he has to transform his game. Moran should be full forward and kept there, Mcds race his ran and is still holding uo the ball to much#

In the league we were reasonably settled and did ok but JOM has swapped and changed to muck... Mort is atricious in front of goal and his miss was crucial if we had got that there would have been 2 points in it with 30 mins to and a gale with us..

Not clinical enough or settled enough we have to get a team organised and settled and we have seven weeks to do it.

smelly fairy

Right, so there weren't other nasty pieces of work out on the pitch yesterday? Please enlighten me as you obviously seem to know everything.. It's defamation of character and you know it, so take your dj skills elsewhere, thanks.

ildanach

Quote from: GalwaySham on May 21, 2007, 02:56:38 PM
Quoted brady will be back flying by that stage

Yeah Yeah, the great Mayo excuse, "We were missing Brady". Ye are always missing him, here is a player who seems to have gained a great reputation just because he is nearly always injured.

Sham,
Why didn't you quote the whole sentence, I also said McDonald and T Mortimer would be flying. I didn't use brady as an excuse for losing,here is my post again:

"Galway were the better and hungrier team on the day. A couple of things for me that were key factor to the defeat.
1 We lost the first 7 balls contested at midfield, this gave galway the momentem and the foundation for the win.
2 Against the wind we had an isolated full forward line. Even if the ball was broken down, we did not have the support play to get the breaks.
3 we had men who were done for over carrying on 4 or 5 occasions.
4 A goal straight after half time would have put us back in it. (f*ck that crossbar!)
5 Galway used the referees leniancy to their advantage. Galway saw what he was allowing and played to the limit. I thought that some of the tackles deserved yellows and not ticks, but you can not blame galway for this"

Is Brady mentioned once in the factors that i judged to have caused our defeat????

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 21, 2007, 02:37:41 PM

Thirdly, apart from the game against the Dubs last year, I cannot remember a day that Mayo pulled it out whenever the pressure was really on.  It cannot be the fault of successive managers that they have not been able to do it.  There seems to be the final cut that makes teams winners missing from this team and this is not something you can train into players....you either have it or you don't.

Well done Galway, JOM's future looks laden with disappointment and failure on a number of fronts.
Well your memory must be as broken as your crossbar then. Firstly "apart from Dublin" is a bit of a joke. 7 points down into the second half in an All Ireland semi final in front of 60,000 jackeens, coming back from that is hardly a "by the way" type situation.
Lets see, last year, Galway scored a goal in the second half and looked to be on their way. Mayo reacted by scoring the next four points and eventually won the game with a pressure kick to win the game.
Laois in the All Ireland quarter final, mayo were two points down going into injury time and came back to draw. Laois were dispatched in the next game.
I could start going into other games, Fermanagh in the semi two years ago (drawn game and replay win) but I think I've shown up your theory to be the load of shite it is without having to go too much further trouble.

DJGaliv

Quote from: smelly fairy on May 21, 2007, 04:27:46 PM
Right, so there weren't other nasty pieces of work out on the pitch yesterday? Please enlighten me as you obviously seem to know everything.. It's defamation of character and you know it, so take your dj skills elsewhere, thanks.

Defamation is defined as a false accusation of an offense or a malicious misrepresentation of someone's words or actions. There's no defamation here. I await your lawsuit.
I'm not going to bring up what he's done, just informing people that his inexcusible elbow was not entirely without precedent.
I'm going nowhere, thanks.

Oh just to inform you, falsely accusing someone of defamation is in itself defamatory. But us Galway folk are bigger than that. Enjoy the summer, I'm sure we'll meet again.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 21, 2007, 02:24:25 PM

I honestly can't believe the amount of sour grapes coming from the Mayo contributors. It is very dissappointing to hear. Galway dominated the game throughout, apart from a short period after half time. Harte is a nasty piece of goods (I've seen him do this before and worse). It's astonishing people are defending his sending off. He raised the elbow after giving the ball away. Totally intentional and absolutely needless.

Galway did not dominate the game throughout, there was the first 10 minutes which is now becoming traditional with this team where Mayo didnt play at all. This has been a trait of the 2007 version of Mayo which has been there all league. There was also the last 10 minutes where the game had descended into a joke, most of that time the Galway forwards were arseing around up around the Mayo 21. Thats not a dig at Galway, clearly ye're forwards are miles ahead (two class goals in fairness) of ours at the moment, but I was at the Salthill clubhouse side and could see it up close. If it was Mayo doing the same things Pat Spillane would have burst a blood vessel looking at it. I have to credit the subs who came on in the backline at that stage, they were holding their own after the shite in the first half. Beyond that Mayo had a fair share of the ball but didnt do a whole lot with it.
He riased the elbow after giving the ball away? Are you being serious? I understand being one eyed about your own team but thats beyond belief. So by the same token would you condem P Joyce for running from 10 years away and smashing his elbow into Conor Mortimers head. That was also certainly intentional but couldnt be described as needless as Joyces need was to knock Mortimers head off. What was stupid about Harte was that he did it right in front of the ref. Actually so did Joyce but that didnt seem to matter.