Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

Just thought I'd start thid individual thread, with Mayo running out 1 point winners against them in the league semi final Galway will be out for revenge and to get one over on Mayo for the defeat in the Connaught Final last year. Mayo were probably fairly tired against them as that was their 4th game in a row.
We should have D Brady and T Mortimer back which would be a huge boost so I'd say Mayo for this game which should be tight and hopefully an exciting encounter.
Looking forward to it.

AbbeySider

This will be a long thread. Its just under four weeks to the game!  ::)

Cue the friendly banter

Then turning it into a slagging match

All before the dirty digs about Mayo being chokers etc etc...

( I am pessimistic form today  :(  )

Jack Dempsey

anyone want to give the probable teams a go...

MaroonAndWhite

1) Doherty 2)Fitzgerald 3)Hanley 4)D Burke 5)D Meehan 6)Blake 7)Coyne 8)Cullinane 9)Bergin 10)Coleman 11)P Joyce 12)C Bane/Ja Fallon 13) M Meehan 14) M Clancy 15) N Joyce

Goalkeeper and backline picks itself really bar no 7 where Comer would be unlucky to lose out. Blake at midfield wont last and I think given the aerial superiority Galway had at midfield last day out Ford may opt for Cullinane there and launch all our kickouts on top of him and Bergin. Coleman and P Joyce in half forwards to give that line some much needed workrate - Coleman to get stuck in around midfield and out fox BJ Padden. I think he'd be too cute for BJ to handle. Ja/Bane a tough call.....but Bane provides a bit more of a scoring threat. Nicky to play in inside line where he belongs - serious pace and would cause alot of problems for Mayo full back line if on song. Would play Nicky even if S Armstrong was fit. It may be an idea for Ford to put Matthew Clancy at 14 if fit....let Galway take a leaf outta Donegals book and get Clancy to drag Kilcullen all over the place. He doesnt look the most mobile and didnt look comfortable yesterday when pulled out of position. If it didnt work, just interchange 11 & 14.

Duine Eile

Jaysus lads ye're getting started good and early, Trying to forget about yesterday already! ;) Think the Galway team will be along the lines of

1.Paul Doherty (Dodgy as hell and we thought Alan Keane was bad)

2.Kieran Fitz
3.Finian Hanley
4.Damien Burke (Back line picks itself really, no reason to make any changes)

5.Deccie Meehan
6.Diarmuid Blake
7.Niall Coyne (has the makings of a classy half back line)

8.Barry Cullinane/Paul Geraghty
9.Joe Bergin (Still shaky enough in mid-field, Geraghty/Cullinane as good/bad as each other)

10.Niall Coleman
11.Derek Savage
12.Cormac Bane (Ja has to go, doesn't have the legs for it as witnessed in the league, Armstrong could be in line for a spot here too)

13.Mike Meehan
14.Padraic Joyce
15.Nicky Joyce  (Nicky needs to be closer the goal, has played well consistently throughout the league, Mike needs to find from again but wouldn't be too worried about him, he can be anonymous all day and then turn a game on its head. Padraic just needs to keep playing the way he has been in the league, our best player on the field and the leader of this team.)

What I'd like to see is Mike M given a run at centre forward, the change of scenery might give him a bit of a boost performance wise. Other than that I think Niall Coyne will move to the wing allowing Blake back in at no.6 with Mike Comer making way.Wouldn't play Padraic at 11 MaroonandWhite, that rarely works, apart from the replayed Kerry game in 2000 I don't think he's ever had a really good game there for Galway. It'd give the ha;f forward line a boost no doubt but he's needed inside where he's at the most dangerous.We'll also have a new captain heading into this game, so Galway lads will it be Kieran Fitz or Damien Burke I wonder?It's a ludicrous system of picking captain we have, surely to God it should be up to the team management and the team themselves who their captain is and not the committee of the county champions.

stephenite

I'll give the Mayo team a go

D. Clarke
L. O'Malley
J. Kilcullen
K. Higgins
E. Devenney
D. Heaney
P. Gardener
D. Brady
P. Harte
T.Mortimer
K. O'Neill
A. Dillon
C. Mortimer
G. Brady
A. Moran

I'm not sure if that's how the forwards will line out, there are a few positional conundrums to be ironed out. Ger Brady might well be lucky to make it, if reports on recent performances are accurate, if that's the case than maybe Kilcoyne/Campbell into the half forward line with T Mort moving into the edge of the square

cicfada

Will this thread run to the All-time classic of 500 posts that the Connacht final threads ran to 2 years ago??

Bomber2312

1. Clarke
2. Higgins
3. O'Malley
4. A Higgins
5. D heaney
6. BJP
7. Gardiner
8. D Brady
9. Harte
10. Dillion
11. A Moran
12. G Brady
13. C Mort
14. K O N
15. T MOrt

ildanach

1. Clarke
2. Higgins
3. Heaney (but just for this game)
4. O'Malley
5. Devanney
6. BJP
7. Gardiner
8. Nallen / Kilcullen
9. Harte
10. T Mortimer
11. A Moran
12. Campbell
13. C Mortimer
14. Dillion
15. O'Neill
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

galwayman

Personally, I don't believe Kilcullen will make the cut at full back for Mayo for the Galway game. He has looked very vulnerable any time I have seen him in the league.
I have a sneaking feeling David Heaney will be picked at number 3 with a view to taming Joyce. He has a decent record against Joyce so I think Johnno will play him there.

As regards the Galway team, keeper will be Doherty as we don't have any alternative (he is extremely dodgy though), FB line will be Fitzy, Hanley & Damo Burke.
HB line will probably be Deccie Meehan at 5, Blake at 6 and Coyne at 7 (with Comer losing out).
Midfield will be Bergin & AN Other. We don't have too many options here either. It'll be Cullinane, Geraghty or Ja Fallon I'd say to partner Joe.
I think the FF line will be Mike Meehan, PJ and Nicky Joyce. Coleman will be named at wing forward and will be helping out around midfield. He can be a bit headless at times and his distribution needs working on but we need his workrate and aggression around the field.

The other 2 spots are up for grabs between Bane, Savo, Armstrong, Matt Clancy and Ja (if he's not played at midfield).
Bane should get 1 of these positions as he's been scoring well while the other spot is anyone's guess. Savo hasn't been playing that well and hasn't been scoring much and neither has Ja. Armstrong has been injured and is more of a full forward line player.

It's possible though that Nicky will be played on the wing which would mean either Armstrong or Savo playing at no.15.

highorlow

Clarke
Higgins
J.Killcullen
D.Kilcullen
Devanney
Heaney
Gardiner
Harte
Brady
T.Mortimer
Hanley
Kilcoyne
C.Mortimer
O'Neill
Dillion
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

belleaqua

1 P. Doherty

2 K. Fitzgerald
3 F. Hanley
4 D. Burke

5 D. Meehan
6 D. Blake
7 N. Coyne

8 N. Coleman
9 J. Bergin

10 M. Clancy
11 M. Meehan
12 C. Bane

13 D. Savage
14 P. Joyce
15 N. Joyce

I dont think Ford has been impressed by Geraghty or Cullinane enough too start either of them midfield. Coleman will win his fair of share of ball. Bergin has to continue his current form and step up to the mark at championship level.

Matt Clancy will start as he is needed to win the breaks and do the hard running in the half forward line. Ja better suited to impact sub role.

Mike Meehan could really revel at centre forward and get the space for his class to shine through. Can see him dominating games from here. Very possible he will play some part out here.

turk

What is the crack with McDonald?

mouview

Whatever way you slice it Galway's half-forward line is going to be very weak. Any combination of Matt Clancy & Cormac Bane is going to be severely lacking in ball-winning ability. If (big if) Armstrong is fit you may see something like

N Coleman  P Joyce  C Bane
N Joyce  M Meehan  S Armstrong

though I'd play Coleman in midfield from the start. It's easier to bring on Geraghty / Cullinane to boost that area rather than taking them off and trying to shore it up. Shame we can't unearth one or two more strong forwards a-la Paul Clancy (will he be fit? doubt it). Perhaps Alan Burke and / or Gary Sice would be worth a run there. Is Damien Dunleavy injured still?

It's conceivable that Galway could beat Mayo in Pease, it's just as possible that a strong, hard-hitting Roscommon could then take Galway.

GalwaySham

My Galway team would be:

1. Doherty
2. Fitzgerald
3. Hanley
4. D. Burke
5. D. Meehan
6. Blake
7. Coyne (although there is little between him & comer)
8. Bergin
9. Geraghty
10. Colemane (Geez I thought id never want to see him play for Galway again after the cork game a couple of years back but he has had a decent league and deserves a chance at 10.
11. Fallon
12. N. Joyce (His best performances during the league have been on the wing, Why move him into the corner?)
13. M. Meehan (although I agree with duine eiles assessment of him and a move to no. 11 would do him no harm)
14. P. Joyce
15. Bane (Bane never seems to play that well but always ends up as one of the top scorers so he is worth having in there. If Armstrong is back for the Mayo game, then he will push him hard for a spot)

Cant see Savage making it, He hasnt been playing well during the league. Either has Fallon but he brings a bit of presence to that half forward line.
Think Matt Clancy would be more effective as a sub too

Mayo's midfield may be weak but they are very mobile which would be a worry if Cullinane or Geraghty was to start

If I was a Mayo fan, Id be very concerned about this year, All of ye seem to be including David Brady, Trevor Mortimer & Kevin O'Neill in the lineout, that isnt promising from your prospective since they have rarely featured in the league this year. Andy Moran seems to be playing well this year though (a player I never had any time for in the past) but seen him a couple of times this year (for Mayo & Sligo IT) and ye'll need him to keep that up.