Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

galway phyiscally knocking the sh*t out of mayo.

MacDanger

Final score 2-10 to 0-09.

Brutal.

At least we have 7 weeks to get ready for the qualifiers.....

Well done to the Tribesmen

INDIANA

i tell you some thing- i don't think dublin will get too many snide remarks from mayo fans again after yet another lilly livered display on a championship sunday by the mayo men

J70

Quote from: MacDanger on May 20, 2007, 05:16:16 PM
John Maughan reckons the sending off was a bit harsh.

It was a blatantly intentional elbow to the face.

MacDanger

Fair enough, wasn't watching, Maughan reckoned "his momentum carried him through".....

Go f**k yourself Indiana

ludermor

INDIANA

Go f**k yourself Indiana"

lovely diction- you don't like it so much when the shoe is on the other foot. like dublin i think mayo need a few new players. when the galway forwards play well they are a handful for anyone- straight into the quarters now.

AbbeySider

Not long home from Pearse stadium. Dont know how it looked on TV but so many things went wrong.
Everyone agreed that Galway were fairly cynical throughout the game. They were pulling and dragging throughout. Coleman should have got the line long before Harte did.
He was kicking and punching players on the ground. Galway played with a cynical steel that worked. Forde has it drilled into them.
Mayo ware far too nice as usual.

Our backs were absolutly cleaned. Was it Bane that got the two goals? Bane an Meehan really showed up Keith Higgins and Liam O Malley.
Heaney did Ok on Joyce. BJP had a bad game. Gardiner and Devenney were terrible too.

We were pounded in mid-field. It was an awful mistake not having Brady starting. Bergan was class today but Brady held his own when he came on. I cant get over how dirty Coleman was even off the ball. Between third man tackling and consistent fouling when Mayo were is scoring positions. It was infuriating that he stayed on the pitch as long as he did.

Up front was another no show today. Only Trevor Mortimer looked dangerous and hungry.

The worst game of all was was had by the referee. Some decisions were crazy.

The scoreline didnt reflect the difference between the two teams but Galway deserved the victory all the same

By the way Indiana,
Go f**k yourself.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on May 20, 2007, 05:16:30 PM
That was a great hard shoulder on McDonald. Mayo unlucky not to have had a goal or two but it seems to be running away from them.

It was lucky. He caught McD on his blind side. But yes, he caught him well.

prewtna

well i am exiled for 6 weeks more. watched the match in a pub with bob dylan doin the commentary tho i think marty morrisy and mc stay were there!

couldne keep track of positional swithces but it seemed to me as if mayo were at sea most of the time. they didnt seem to know where they were playing.

a bit sickened to be honest. thought theyd put up a better show then that.

seemed to me as if we were eaten alive at midfield. finally proof that gardiner cant defend. but i was disapponted by devenny. and as for billie joe.... i simply dont know.

up front. the wind seemed to frighten us maybe it was strong but galway had no problem kickin into it, and then when playing with it we didnt shoot at all!

mort was unluck with the shot that hit the post. it might have changed things.

harte had to go. a dirty dig.

cant comment on the off the ball stuff but galway seemed to have more bite in the tackle. they accumulated more yellows but i suppose that wont matter to them!

anyway. it will be a long 6/7 weeks for johno. he has lots to do.

looks like he wont be elected now, so plenty time to focus on mayo!

AbbeySider

Quote from: prewtna on May 20, 2007, 07:51:54 PM
looks like he wont be elected now, so plenty time to focus on mayo!

He hasnt a hope in hell after that

AbbeySider

Quote from: J70 on May 20, 2007, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: MacDanger on May 20, 2007, 05:16:16 PM
John Maughan reckons the sending off was a bit harsh.
It was a blatantly intentional elbow to the face.

It may well have been a blatant intentional elbow to the face, but Harte layed off possession and yer man came in late with a third man tackle.

Redgreenery

Very very disappointing game, at half time, I thought Mayo could have just come back. as they had the wind on their side, they came out in the second half with momentum as within the first minute C Mort was 1 on 1 with the keeper but unfortuneatly the ball hit the bar and dropped into one of the Tribesmens hands, this was a huge blow to Mayo, then a fight in centre field a few seconds later made it worse for them and I reckon these 2 events could well have lost it for them, if Mort buried that into the back of the net, I reckon the scoreline would have been different in favour of Mayo.

Galway were the better team at the end of the game though but were very cynical and as for Mayo, well we are destined for the long road through the qualifiers.

GalwayBayBoy

Just back from the game.

Must say I'm very happy with the result and performance. Controlled the match throughout really bar one or two shaky moments in the second half when Mayo had to go for broke and go for goals. Didn't expect such a comfortable win. The last 20 minutes was a non-event really and the sendings-off seemed to take the life out of the game.

Fair play to the backs. There's no doubt now that we have some very good defenders in the side. Mayo only scoring two points from play all day says it all. Damien Burke cleaned out Conor Mortimer even though Mortimer found some space in the second-half when he hit the bar. Finian Hanley was also excellent. Blake did well coming on for the injured Coyne.

Bergin and Coleman were monsterous in midfield. I actually thought Coleman was my man of the match until he picked up a second yellow. He does concede too many frees but he put in a huge performance until then. His pass for the first Galway goal was McDonaldesque. Bergin seems to be upping his game now that he is the senior midfielder in the side.

Strange to think that the two players that did the most damage up front were Cormac Bane and Nicky Joyce rather than Padraig and Michael Meehan. Nice to know that they can step up to the plate if required. Ja I thought was pretty quiet even though he did hit a nice point. Savo in and out of the game but worked hard and kicked two points. All the forwards scored.

Galway just seemed hungrier for it on the day and kept knocking back Mayo players in the tackle. These games continue to be very difficult to predict. Certainly a big Galway improvement on last years's non-display against Westmeath. Hopefully we can get to the last 8 as Connacht champions and take it from there but Leitrim in Carrick won't be a walk in the park in the meantime. Mayo have a long break now before another game but it might allow them to get McDonald fit and I'm sure they'll improve substantially if they get a win under their belts.

prewtna

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2007, 08:10:00 PM

Galway just seemed hungrier for it on the day and kept knocking back Mayo players in the tackle.

ya hungrier by far.
tis a bit sickening to concede a goal so easily so early in another big game.

i wonder are any lessons being learned in the mayo defence at all?

lord only knows who we will get in the lottery!

seems ye'll be in the quarters now fairly handy. deserved the win no doubt about it.