Have you ever been a 'Sledger?'

Started by theticklemister, May 18, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It is obviously extremely hard to legislate for a lad whispering in your ear, and that has gone on for years. As the insults become more personal and insidious it is far more distasteful, but no easier to police. We (and I mean all of us involved with teams, playing, or who just know players) should make sure the players know we find it disgusting and unacceptable. That's about all you can do. Certainly do *not* encourage it as a means of 'getting inside his head'.  Same with the testicle grabbing, nipple pinching, finger tweaking and all the other knackerish physical intimidation techniques.

However the taunting, gesturing and 'in your face roaring' that lads do is easy to see, and easy to penalise. In fact there is a rule there already to deal with it. Black Card. End of Story. It would soon take care of that particular ball baggery.

Bingo

The bigger picture here is to find out the reasoning behind it, where its coming from and who is instigating it.

If true, Why/How does a minor in Tyrone find out who he'll be marking from Donegal and then research that player to find out something so personal about him. Does he take to his facebook himself or is there someone giving him this information.

And in the interest of balance, why would any player from any county/club go to these lengths.

It will take strong county boards (even clubs) to look at their own houses and insure that this is stopped ASAP. Its this premeditated stuff and thinking that has to be looked at. You will always get the reactionary stuff from on the field events - you missed the free, that looks like your replacement warming up, general shite talk - hard to police and spot.

But this other stuff has to stop. It will end up with a serious injury or the sport been dragged into the front papers when a high profile incident like this happens again. And more importantly, its totally disrespectful and disgusting. 

SpeculativeEffort

I've played hurling and football in Leinster since I was 7/8 years old and I cant ever recall any of the pre-planned sledging that people are referring too.
The coverage of this is completely out of hand. So the best forward in the country was manhandled a bit last Sunday, doesn't mean there is an epidemic.
The media (especially RTE) are only delighted to cast the GAA in a negative light and our players are giving them ammunition. Just read an article on rte.ie where one of
our players mentions rugby in a positive light. The website has emboldened this and highlighted. Even when rugby is not the subject they manage a
positive spin off. The same media outlet overlooks the stamping, biting and supplement culture in rugby.

A bit of common sense and balance is needed on this topic.

Syferus

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on May 22, 2015, 10:32:09 AM
I've played hurling and football in Leinster since I was 7/8 years old and I cant ever recall any of the pre-planned sledging that people are referring too.
The coverage of this is completely out of hand. So the best forward in the country was manhandled a bit last Sunday, doesn't mean there is an epidemic.
The media (especially RTE) are only delighted to cast the GAA in a negative light and our players are giving them ammunition. Just read an article on rte.ie where one of
our players mentions rugby in a positive light. The website has emboldened this and highlighted. Even when rugby is not the subject they manage a
positive spin off. The same media outlet overlooks the stamping, biting and supplement culture in rugby.

How have you went from the shows Tyrone and Donegal made of themselves in the senior game and a Tyrone player goading a Donegal player about his deceased father in the minor game to RTE's treatment of fùcking rugby?

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bingo on May 22, 2015, 10:21:35 AM
The bigger picture here is to find out the reasoning behind it, where its coming from and who is instigating it.

If true, Why/How does a minor in Tyrone find out who he'll be marking from Donegal and then research that player to find out something so personal about him. Does he take to his facebook himself or is there someone giving him this information.

And in the interest of balance, why would any player from any county/club go to these lengths.

It will take strong county boards (even clubs) to look at their own houses and insure that this is stopped ASAP. Its this premeditated stuff and thinking that has to be looked at. You will always get the reactionary stuff from on the field events - you missed the free, that looks like your replacement warming up, general shite talk - hard to police and spot.

But this other stuff has to stop. It will end up with a serious injury or the sport been dragged into the front papers when a high profile incident like this happens again. And more importantly, its totally disrespectful and disgusting.

I have no real problem with that sort of stuff to be honest, its when it moves into the personal abuse and the sort of thing that is being highlighted here that is just unacceptable that it becomes a problem.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Up The Middle

Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2015, 10:40:31 AM

How have you went from the shows Tyrone and Donegal made of themselves in the senior game and a Tyrone player goading a Donegal player about his deceased father in the minor game to RTE's treatment of fùcking rugby?

This should tell everyone what they need to know about you. You arent here for a balanced discussion nor for the good of the game, just a spot of Ulster bashing. You have been on a crusade of sorts from your overhyped U21 team got beat out the gate against Tyrone a few weeks back. You are a sad individual.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

INDIANA

This started a long time ago and is ingrained in their culture. Just pull out the quote from Harte in 2000 where he talks about it . They've evolved from the phone numbers saga to more sinister tactics.

Unfortunately the Dublin team in the era of 03-08 followed Tyrone down the sledging route. Thankfully Gilroy and Gavin got rid of it. It's as much up to team managers to lead by example. But it seems to be par for the course in the Ulster Championship now. Last Sunday was terrible by both teams

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: INDIANA on May 22, 2015, 11:17:25 AM

This started a long time ago and is ingrained in their culture. Just pull out the quote from Harte in 2000 where he talks about it . They've evolved from the phone numbers saga to more sinister tactics.

Unfortunately the Dublin team in the era of 03-08 followed Tyrone down the sledging route. Thankfully Gilroy and Gavin got rid of it. It's as much up to team managers to lead by example. But it seems to be par for the course in the Ulster Championship now. Last Sunday was terrible by both teams

So its now Tyrone fault for Dublins sledging?  ;D ::)
catch a grip man
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Stall the Bailer

The perception of us in Tyrone is that we are the cause for a lot of this. Whether this perception is true or not is a moot point. We can argue/disagree/show other examples, but the perception will not change.
We need to address it and ensure our house is in order. We must eradicate it wherever we can, so that any future mud slung at us does not stick.
Though it is a problem for the whole GAA community we must lead way in sorting it out and prove we don't tolerate it in Tyrone GAA.

INDIANA

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on May 22, 2015, 11:31:21 AM
The perception of us in Tyrone is that we are the cause for a lot of this. Whether this perception is true or not is a moot point. We can argue/disagree/show other examples, but the perception will not change.
We need to address it and ensure our house is in order. We must eradicate it wherever we can, so that any future mud slung at us does not stick.
Though it is a problem for the whole GAA community we must lead way in sorting it out and prove we don't tolerate it in Tyrone GAA.

Exactly .

LeoMc

I think the 3 bits highlighted sums up your attitude.
Maybe you could pull up Hartes quote. IIRC he only said it was part of the game and you had to be prepared for it. That is a big jump to claiming it is coached systematically in Ulster Counties.
I would concede that Hartes Pontius Pilate act, "its part of the game what can you do", has not helped. Not condemning it leads to tacit acceptance and it may be no coincidence that Tyrone u-21's and minors both have former players from the 03-08 era in their backroom team.

INDIANA

Quote from: LeoMc on May 22, 2015, 11:47:03 AM

I think the 3 bits highlighted sums up your attitude.
Maybe you could pull up Hartes quote. IIRC he only said it was part of the game and you had to be prepared for it. That is a big jump to claiming it is coached systematically in Ulster Counties.
I would concede that Hartes Pontius Pilate act, "its part of the game what can you do", has not helped. Not condemning it leads to tacit acceptance and it may be no coincidence that Tyrone u-21's and minors both have former players from the 03-08 era in their backroom team.

What he said was that sledging was preferable to physical contact off the ball and he was very wrong in that. Neither are acceptable . I said it last week and I'll say it again you have a serious problem in your development structure as regards sledging and only Tyrone can sort it out. Where there is a will there is a way
You're not the only ones at senior level it's pretty rampant at that level in all provinces but it's definitely more prevalent in Ulster but you're certainly one of the few at underage level. Stamp it out there and then it doesn't become a problem later on

Syferus

Quote from: Up The Middle on May 22, 2015, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2015, 10:40:31 AM

This should tell everyone what they need to know about you. You arent here for a balanced discussion nor for the good of the game, just a spot of Ulster bashing. You have been on a crusade of sorts from your overhyped U21 team got beat out the gate against Tyrone a few weeks back. You are a sad individual.

I've never liked Tyrone's tactics. Go back and look at the Minor thread from 2013 if you want to be shown up on that front.

Incredible that when a Tyrone player goads an opposition player over their deceased father that your response is to attack a poster about a now meaningless match from a month ago.

Brick Tamlin

Yiz think last week's game was bad.
Wait and see what the apple-munchers have up their sleeves for Donegal when they come visiting in few weeks time.
Id also wager that this weekend's 'El Classico' in Cyaaaavan will be fun too.

Indiana I would had you down as a decent enough spud who makes a lot of valid points on a range of matter, but I really have to disagree with the notion that sledging is 'coached' up here. I think that's daft to be frank. As Darragh O'Se alluded to in his piece, the familiarity of players with each other up here is astounding. Add in the age of social networking and nothing being 'private' anymore and id say it would be easy enough to find out info on one of your opponents for a game.

Referees have a lot to answer for. If they would black card players as they are supposed to for this sort of stuff (when its obvious) then the message would soon hit home.