Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15

Started by Farrandeelin, May 17, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 12, 2015, 08:17:58 PM
I'm baffled how a post of mine suggesting we use one or two experienced small skillful scoring forwards for the last fifteen mins of what will probably be a keenly fought defensive physical game to try and win when it opens up a bit is seen as overconfidence??

The reason I think Andy is starting is probably as a ball winner in the full forward line to help Cillian. I don't think Diarmuid O Connor will start , instead I think Dillion will start with Jason Doc moving to half forward. On the other hand maybe a straight swap between Andy and Dillion could be the starting team??

Anyone think we should be going with a two man inside line to free up space for our running game?

That looks like a 2 man inside team with doc dropping off and Aidan pushing up at times. That s why I think Andy is picked.
That team will allows us to be quite defensive.

twohands!!!

Galway team

1   Manus Breathnach
2   Johnny Duane
3   Finian Hanley
4   Cathal Sweeney
5   Liam Silke
6   Gary O'Donnell
7   Seán Denvir
8   Fiontán Ó Curraoin
9   Paul Conroy 
10   Gary Sice
11   Patrick Sweeney
12   Tom Flynn
13   Danny Cummins
14   Damien Comer
15   Micheál Lundy

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 12, 2015, 10:54:46 PM

Perfectly set up for the upset.

If that were the case they'd have Pedar Og and Shane Walsh. Both two of their best free-takers. I assume a massive burden is going to be placed on Comer now both from play and from placed balls. He's talented enough to do it but if Mayo slow him down.. you can forget about your upset.

cornetto

Best team galway have available,conroy to take alot of the frees,leave comer stuck in keane.if galway can get a decent start as in be up by 5pts at half time,a great chance.if mayo start well it will be up to sligo to stop the machine!

From the Bunker

Should be an interesting game tomorrow! This fixture reminds me of the 2002 fixture in Salthill. Except the roles were reversed. Mayo were rebuilding, Galway had a settled team but were in decline. Galway won by 2 points that day but were by far the better team (should have won by more).

larryin89

I'd love to be dishonest and pretend I'm worried . Walk in the park for Mayo , Galway are shite.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2015, 12:53:18 PM
I'd love to be dishonest and pretend I'm worried . Walk in the park for Mayo , Galway are shite.
Would love to ram that statement down your throat tomorrow night!
Time will tell.

highorlow

QuoteI can't see anything other than a Mayo victory on Sunday.
Even without the loss of Walsh and O Griofa you'd imagine Mayo would be too strong for us.
And that's not to deliberately play down our chances it's an honest assessment of how I see it going.
On the last 3 occasions we've met going back to 2011 Mayo have been a fair bit better & nothing has happened in the meantime to suggest it will be any different this time unfortunately.
Mayo at the minus 2 handicap is the bet of the season so far in my opinion.

We got bullied by Roscommon earlier in the year and absolutely hammered out the gate by the Dubs on our own patch. We have a new management "committee" which I feel won't get as much out of this team as James Horan did.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel Horan had us punching above our weight for the last 3 years. Normally the closer match day gets the more confidant I would be, not this year I'm afraid.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GalwayBayBoy

On paper it's not a bad looking Galway team despite missing Walsh and O'Griofa up front. With Galway though I think it's more of a question of attitude and application now and whether or not they have any semblance of a coherent gameplan. We won't know that until tomorrow. I have my doubts.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossie11

15/2 in most places
9/1 with sky bet.
When was the last draw? For 2 evenly matched teams down the years there have been very few in my mind.

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on June 13, 2015, 02:37:37 PM
QuoteI can't see anything other than a Mayo victory on Sunday.
Even without the loss of Walsh and O Griofa you'd imagine Mayo would be too strong for us.
And that's not to deliberately play down our chances it's an honest assessment of how I see it going.
On the last 3 occasions we've met going back to 2011 Mayo have been a fair bit better & nothing has happened in the meantime to suggest it will be any different this time unfortunately.
Mayo at the minus 2 handicap is the bet of the season so far in my opinion.

We got bullied by Roscommon earlier in the year and absolutely hammered out the gate by the Dubs on our own patch. We have a new management "committee" which I feel won't get as much out of this team as James Horan did.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel Horan had us punching above our weight for the last 3 years. Normally the closer match day gets the more confidant I would be, not this year I'm afraid.

I d feel very different on this. I think Horan did well but don t think he got everything out of this group let alone punch above their weight. Problem is we ve usually had managers that have us way underachieving. Likes of Johnno and Pateen in his first act. I don t think that this Mayo team has peaked at all yet. It might never either unless this 'committee' knows its game. The doubts about us stem from concerns about this committee and the board that appointed them rather than players.

Blowitupref

Mayo by 4 to 6 points I reckon, even with a fit Shane Walsh and O'Griofa I think Mayo would be too experienced and streetwise for their neighbours but maybe just maybe Galway will produce a top performance on the day to cause an upset.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose