Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15

Started by Farrandeelin, May 17, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 27, 2015, 07:52:39 PM
I can't see that halfback line starting.
Why not, Farr?
That's been the best line in the team since Horan started building his side. Short of injuries, I can't see why any of that trio shouldn't hold on to his usual position.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 27, 2015, 10:46:39 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 27, 2015, 07:52:39 PM
I can't see that halfback line starting.
Why not, Farr?
That's been the best line in the team since Horan started building his side. Short of injuries, I can't see why any of that trio shouldn't hold on to his usual position.
It has been the best since Horan took over, I just can't see the current management implementing it. They're 'easing' Patrick Durcan into the team throughout the league campaign, and I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Coen got the not at number 6. Two of the three will definitely start, just I haven't seen any basis from the league that the whole three will be starting in those positions if ya get me. Then again, I could be wrong.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Quote from: joemamas on May 27, 2015, 08:33:56 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on May 27, 2015, 06:41:51 PM
So how do ye think Mayo will line out for this one.I think this will be the team

Hennelly

Cafferkey                             Keane                   Higgins

Keegan                                Vaughan               Boyle

Parsons      Seamus

Mc Loughlin                          Diarmuid            Doherty

Cillian                                 AOS                  Dillon

Personally i would have Tom Cunniffe starting but i dont know where he would go.Can we afford to take Higgins out of the corner or do we move Vaughan further up the field to accomodate him? Ive heard Andy is flying but i think himself and Dillon are better as impact subs.Also Freeman at centre forward is something i would consider.

Based on what I have seen, I really do not think that DOC can score and then the Q becomes what will his actual role be. Opposing backs may end up standing off him thereby forcing him to shoot.
Would be very surprised to see Alan Dillon starting, same with Andy M.
Have been disappointed with Lee Keegan this year, he is not a quality defender, and the very obvious tactic of keeping him in a very defensive minded role may not suit his game. Same for D. Vaughan, not a center back.

Based on League, Ronaldson should start. If Cuniffe is fit should be automatic. I would also consider persisting with Freeman. He can finish when he takes the mind to.

A lot more Q than answers, but just an opinion.

One point in last years championship (plenty of game time to score more)  , one good game in 13 v Tyrone .  I hope I'm proven wrong on the aghamore man but I just don't see how you can justify with persisting with him much longer. Kirby ! yes I see far more potential in him.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2015, 10:59:36 PM
One point in last years championship (plenty of game time to score more)  , one good game in 13 v Tyrone .  I hope I'm proven wrong on the aghamore man but I just don't see how you can justify with persisting with him much longer. Kirby ! yes I see far more potential in him.

Some players respond well to responsibility (for example free taking or captaincy) while others don't.

Freeman played well in that Tyrone game, when Cillian went off injured and he took on the pressure of free taking as well as having to be the focal point of the attack. Maybe that is what he needs, more responsibility.

Kevin Mc by contrast can run a game on his own, but each missed free from the right sees his head fall lower and lower imho. He needs to be left to just play his own game and forget the frees.

Freeman is a conundrum, but if someone solves it he can be very destructive. I would definitely start him under a new management team to see if they can figure it out.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Freeman is a frustrating player, he has the skill but it's no use unless the management can get him playing. Personally, I think he's had enough chances for now and someone else deserves a start unless he's showing very well in training. If we could get him motoring, it'd be like getting a new player

Based on what I have seen, I really do not think that DOC can score and then the Q becomes what will his actual role be. Opposing backs may end up standing off him thereby forcing him to shoot.
Have been disappointed with Lee Keegan this year, he is not a quality defender, and the very obvious tactic of keeping him in a very defensive minded role may not suit his game. Same for D. Vaughan, not a center back.

I presume by DOC, you mean the younger O'Connor rather than Doc? It's hard to know what his role will be in the team, so far it's been as a worker without much on the scoring end of things.

Good point about Keegan & Vaughan, they looked very good in Horan's system where they bombed forward lots but they might not fare as well in a more defensive system. Keegan has been below his best for the last two years IMO, would be great to get him back to where he was in 2012.

Hard to call a team but I'd probably go with:

Clarke
Caff Keane Cunniffe
Boyle Higgins Keegan
SOS Parsons
McLoughlin COC Vaughan
Dillon/Andy AOS Doc

With AOS and COC rotating in and out; one of the corner forwards playing around the HF line and Vaughan dropping deep (deeper than the rest of the HF line) and breaking from the HB line

mayoman dan

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 28, 2015, 09:30:56 AM
Freeman is a frustrating player, he has the skill but it's no use unless the management can get him playing. Personally, I think he's had enough chances for now and someone else deserves a start unless he's showing very well in training. If we could get him motoring, it'd be like getting a new player

I presume by DOC, you mean the younger O'Connor rather than Doc? It's hard to know what his role will be in the team, so far it's been as a worker without much on the scoring end of things.

Good point about Keegan & Vaughan, they looked very good in Horan's system where they bombed forward lots but they might not fare as well in a more defensive system. Keegan has been below his best for the last two years IMO, would be great to get him back to where he was in 2012.

Hard to call a team but I'd probably go with:

Clarke
Caff Keane Cunniffe
Boyle Higgins Keegan
SOS Parsons
McLoughlin COC Vaughan
Dillon/Andy AOS Doc

With AOS and COC rotating in and out; one of the corner forwards playing around the HF line and Vaughan dropping deep (deeper than the rest of the HF line) and breaking from the HB line

Will Cillian be fit to start?

manfromdelmonte

I'd love to know why the Galway Mayo game isn't on this weekend?
There is no real big football game on this week.

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 31, 2015, 09:19:48 AM

People'd be bitching about waiting seven weeks 'till the Connacht final then..

Rossfan

The whole Connacht schedule is an illogical joke.
Galway/Laythrum should be today Ros/Sligo 13th and Gal/Rhus 21st.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

It can't be on this weekend, because the people who set the fixtures are doing the Junior Cert.
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Quote from: muppet on May 31, 2015, 07:59:43 PM

It can't be on this weekend, because the people who set the fixtures are doing the Junior Cert.
;D

larryin89

Under two weeks now, gettin a biteen nervous/ excited ? I see mayos odds have gone in to 4/7 now and the handicap has gone from -1 to -2 . Bookies gettin nervous as people start to realise Galway are shite and Mayo are mighty.

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 02:59:52 PM
Under two weeks now, gettin a biteen nervous/ excited ? I see mayos odds have gone in to 4/7 now and the handicap has gone from -1 to -2 . Bookies gettin nervous as people start to realise Galway are shite and Mayo are mighty.

Think that is based on COC appearance for the Club last week.

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2015, 03:14:57 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 02:59:52 PM

Think that is based on COC appearance for the Club last week.

Spot on buddy .