Armagh v Donegal USFC 14/06/2015

Started by Agent Orange, May 17, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SimonSays

It seems the Armagh county board have already appointed the 2 turnstiles operators for the day ,,,damm it

naka

armaghniac

Quote from: naka on May 22, 2015, 04:35:50 PM
clubs are getting tickets

Clubs have most of the tickets.
We'll see how many Donegal people will travel, there weren't many in Cross in 2010.  :P
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on May 22, 2015, 05:10:42 PM

We'll see how many Donegal people will travel, there weren't many in Cross in 2010.  :P

Yeah but they're not shite now. I'd say many of them were cross after that 2010 display though.

J70

I'd arrived home from the states that morning and had considered driving down from Dublin via Crossmaglen, but the family member I had with me refused point blank. Thank christ!!

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on May 22, 2015, 05:38:45 PM

Yeah but they're not shite now. I'd say many of them were cross after that 2010 display though.

It was symptomatic of the team at the time. Lots of good players, most of whom would go on to win AI and multiple Ulster medals, but no fight or pride and poorly coached. The two (shite!) early goals ended the game against what was an average Armagh team. Stevie McDonnell commented on Neil McGee chatting about not being arsed and wanting the game to end.  Can you imagine that from the Donegal team now?

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2015, 06:07:32 PM

I'd arrived home from the states that morning and had considered driving down from Dublin via Crossmaglen, but the family member I had with me refused point blank. Thank christ!!

The game was shite, but you would have got to visit Cross, so it wouldn't have been a complete waste.
But you are right, Donegal did not want to know that day.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Remember that game well.An acquaintance arrived just before throw in,dressed to the nines and explained that he was a guest at a wedding and would be back in time for the soup providing there was no extra time!

donegal lad

Reckon we will have no bother selling our full allocation for the game (probably be between 7-8 thousand tickets) hopefully it's a better day than that 1 in 2010. I was 1 of the unfortunate dobegal supporters to be at that game, never seen us with such a poor support at a championship game

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2015, 06:12:37 PM
It was symptomatic of the team at the time.

If I remember rightly, the camera picked up McFadden having a laugh in the dug-out after being subbed late on with the team about 15 points down. I was in Donegal for a few days break, a couple of years later, and Donegal lads I talked to still referred to that moment. 

J70

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 23, 2015, 12:51:53 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2015, 06:12:37 PM
It was symptomatic of the team at the time.

If I remember rightly, the camera picked up McFadden having a laugh in the dug-out after being subbed late on with the team about 15 points down. I was in Donegal for a few days break, a couple of years later, and Donegal lads I talked to still referred to that moment.

According to McFadden, he was having a rueful joke about himself, as he had just been asked to stay out after the game to get an award for his 100th county game. Apparently he got a bit of grief from the Armagh lads as they warmed down while he was being photographed during the presentation.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/soccer/forward-thinking-mcfadden-1-4247035

A year later Donegal were the first team evicted from the championship, battered and bruised by nine points by Armagh in a first round qualifier in Crossmaglen. The RTE cameras breezed by the Donegal bench and McFadden, who had been replaced by Adrian Hanlon, was seen to have a sarcastic grin on his face.

As the obituary continued at home, McFadden's behaviour was condemned. However, it was later learned he had been asked by county board officials to stay around after the final whistle to receive a presentation to mark his 100th appearance for the county.

McFadden felt it was neither the time nor the place for such gestures and was making a joke at his own expense. As he left the field after being forced to stand in front of the cameras, barely able to muster a smile, the Armagh players snorted laughter during their warm-down and one even muttered: "It must be the man of the match award."

It was an embarrassing and avoidable episode for McFadden and one not of his own making. He admits now that he considered his own future, whether it was all worthwhile.

drici

Guess who won the prize of a new jersey on Seó Spóirt on TG4 this week.
A man who proves constantly that if you are not in - you cannot win.