Is Nationalism on the Decline in the North?

Started by Applesisapples, May 08, 2015, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on May 08, 2015, 04:10:11 PM
Also if Armagh's Justin Mc Nulty had done just slightly better yesterday, Newry and Armagh would also have a Unionist MP to-day.
Personally I think the SF & SDLP votes going to Dobson in Upper Bann would have had a much more positive otcome for the people of NI. Its was going to be a Unionist either way but anyone without the wit to differentiate between Dobson and the fool who got in really does not understand the issues at play

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on May 08, 2015, 07:11:52 PM
I do not understand people who claim to be fed up and don't vote.How will change come about?
First time I have every agreed with Tony

Maguire01

Quote from: LCohen on May 09, 2015, 04:28:45 PM
Also if Armagh's Justin Mc Nulty had done just slightly better yesterday, Newry and Armagh would also have a Unionist MP to-day.
Personally I think the SF & SDLP votes going to Dobson in Upper Bann would have had a much more positive otcome for the people of NI. Its was going to be a Unionist either way but anyone without the wit to differentiate between Dobson and the fool who got in really does not understand the issues at play
I'd agree.

LCohen

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
Quote from: LCohen on May 09, 2015, 04:16:49 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 08, 2015, 11:55:02 AM
Nationalist apathy is the big problem.

Apathetic nationalism doesn't really exist.

If someone believes in or aspires towards a United Ireland then they are an Irish Nationalist.

If someone from a catholic/nationalist background does believe in/aspire towards an United Ireland they are not an apathetic nationalist . They are not a nationalist at all.

Semantics. Apathy at the ability of the current set of nationalist politicians to do anything positive for what they want either short or long term.
Respectfully its not semantics. The implication that catholics and those from a catholic background are automatically nationalists and that if they happen to not aspire to an united ireland, that they are apathetic nationalists is wrong.

T Fearon

LCohen,it just took you a little time that's all.

T Fearon

Any new nationalist party will have to defend catholic values,as neither the SDLP or SF do and are paying the price electorally.Lets face it,if both did they wouldn't lose any votes on account of this.

imtommygunn

hmm. Respectfully i disagree or think you missed the point.

The apathy is towards voting not towards wanting a united Ireland. If you have apathy towards a united ireland then yes you're not really a nationalist.

Fearon it doesn't always boil down to religion. For you yes not for everyone else.

LCohen

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2015, 04:47:29 PM
hmm. Respectfully i disagree or think you missed the point.

The apathy is towards voting not towards wanting a united Ireland. If you have apathy towards a united ireland then yes you're not really a nationalist.

I'm not saying this to be contrary but I really do feel its you who has missed the point. Whilst there is a general apathy towards voting in general there is also a mis-categorisation of some voters/non-volters who don't aspire to an United Ireland. They are still somehow categorsed by some, including some political commentators, as apathetic-nationalists as if nationalism is some sort of ethnicity or blood line

topcuppla

You like to categorise everyone, whether you are right or wrong!

LCohen

Quote from: topcuppla on May 09, 2015, 05:32:53 PM
You like to categorise everyone, whether you are right or wrong!
[/quote
Relevance??

T Fearon

Intommy Religion gets the DUP to votes in the North (they are certainly not punished for fundamentalist views at the ballot box) and it is important for many catholic nationalists too.

charlieTully

Quote from: LCohen on May 09, 2015, 04:28:45 PM

Hopefully her huge ego will take a dent and she will disappear for a while. gave up buying the local rag as it had turned into the dobson chronicle.

An Watcher

You'd think there was a major crisis on our hands judging by some of the comments on here. SF lost a seat they won by 4 votes or something the last time. Hardly a shock. The DUP hardly excelled and that was with an electoral pact.

T Fearon

SF vote slightly declined and God knows where the SDLP without the tactical votes of unionists.Hard to deny that there is a decline that is worrying.It could be anticipated that Garden Centre section may well return to Unionism,if Nesbitt can continue the momentum and modernising,while there appears to be a growing section of nationalism that is disengaging.

An Watcher

Can't help but feel if they put the right name into derry city there's a seat there for the taking.